Who Remembers Dog Patch?
Create Post
Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Who Remembers Dog Patch?

Dog Patch was a ville just on the outside of Danang to the north almost at the foot of Hill-327 about a click out and was a popular venue for skivie runs. Of course it was off limits to all Marines and all other American personnel. As a 3531 I went through there from FLC to IstMAW and 1stMARDIV HQ's many times during the course of a tour. The baby sanhs were so friendly down that way and the MP's and QC's were there in abundance and not at all friendly. Anyone out there have any pleasant or otherwise memories to share about this quant hamlet? How about four corners? Lets hear about it answer up.

Sempers
    Jim

Strange but consistant! Nam was a different place to most depending on when you were there and where you were at.

There was no liberty while I was there. When we left our camp it was either to a hot LZ or R and R out of country. But damn, didn't we fell the rain and heat! At least we all shared that experience.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That we did greensideout. Do you remember MPC and how the locals reacted when it was all of a sudden changed? Talk about panic in the market place, dang.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    wish i was a remf, would of done the cash for mpc, for money orders, for cash shuffle. would of come home a bazillionaire.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    For once I got to agree with you brother. I knew some Marines that made major bank before the sweet freedom bird took them back to the world.

No MPC while I was there. All that came later.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Dang you could have riveled Trump doing greenback 80,000 to one for piastors even on our pay

Re: Who Remembers Dog Patch?

Originally posted by jinelson
    Dog Patch was a ville just on the outside of Danang to the north almost at the foot of Hill-327 about a click out and was a popular venue for skivie runs. Of course it was off limits to all Marines and all other American personnel. As a 3531 I went through there from FLC to IstMAW and 1stMARDIV HQ's many times during the course of a tour. The baby sanhs were so friendly down that way and the MP's and QC's were there in abundance and not at all friendly. Anyone out there have any pleasant or otherwise memories to share about this quant hamlet? How about four corners? Lets hear about it answer up.

Sempers
    Jim
    Jim....When were you there ?.
    I was a 3531 stationed with Division Headquarters in late 66 & all of '67.
    Dogpatch & 4 corners I remember well.
    Dogpatch is where I had my first taste of Vietnamese food. A sweet crusty rice thing that turned my stomach.
    While Dogpatch was off limits that didn't stop us from pulling over (and looking out).
    Dogpatch is where I saw (& picked from) a banana tree.
    We would sometimes stop to get our trucks "washed".
    We had a regular run to Dogpatch to pick up 1st Division Headquarters mess hall workers.
    Going thru Dogpatch was a regular thing for me as I had to pick up, not only workers but ice for the General's mess, booze, take Marines to the airbase and to go to Monkey Mountain to scrounge things we needed from the Seabees.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sgted I was there in 68 with 11th motors and again in 70 with MASS-3 on Hill-327 almost ran for mayor of dog patch, trip tickets all over the place like any resectable 3531. Remember that jet that was stuck in the side of Monkey Mountain like a dart, when clutching to the top of it ? I was a cumshaw guy too. Glad to hear from you bro.

Welcome Home Semper Fi
    Jim

Wasen't there for the jet into MM, but I've read alot about it.
    Thanks for the memories.
    Semper Fi,
    Ed.

I remember dog patch i was with 9th motors at fssg da nang . we were right outside dog patch in the sand along the airstrip. that was march 65 in late 65 we moved to the other side of dog patch out by gook rifel range . we drank a lot of tiger 33&bome bom there and the rice bread with ant's. It's been40 years but you guy's are brining it back slowly. i was a 3531 also s/f mike

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    3531marine God Bless you I also drank my share of Tiger plss bah meh bah

Sempers Bro and keep on truckin

Registered User Free Member bazzy's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Sometime in the summer of 65, two Phantom's plowed into Monkey Mt. Is that the jet that you were talking about? Left quite a bald spot near the top of the Mt. Our position was near the base of hill 327 and we could see the brown bald spot from there.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Just bumping up for new members. Hey Rockpile if you read this you may want to start a tread on the rockpile it just may help you find an old buddy from that scenic paradise way up north off HI-Way 9.

Sempers
    Jim

I was with MAG 11 MT in 67-68, remember lots of trips through Dog Patch, and a few stops there also. I was not there for the jets into MM, but do remember the AF B52 that made an emergency landing with the hydralics out and then into the mine field at the end of the runway (across road). Real nasty. Also the big attack in July 67 when the bomb dump went off.

Semper Fi

Thread Information