Should I Dep in (delay Entry program) ?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Unhappy Should I Dep in (delay Entry program) ?

i am 17 and have one more year of high school left. I plan on joining the Marine Corps, I have been talking to a recruiter and he says because i plan on joining that i should DEP that if i DEP it will give me a super small taste of what the CORPS is all about and that if i do DEP in that is what will guarantee that will get me the job i want in the CORPS. I told this to my father and he disagrees so strongly that he is not willing to even talk to my recruiter. How do i go about talking my dad into just meeting with the recruiter and if you can please give me more info on the DEP.

Just tell your father how you feel.If he is still unwilling to be supportive then just wait until you are 18 yrs old.By then it wouldn't matter if he approved or not.As far as the DEP goes it would give you a headstart and depending on your MOS a better chance of getting the MOS you want.When it comes down to it everyone goes into DEP you do not ship out the day you join.
    Just remember if you can't enlist now it isn't the end of the world just stay motivated and if you really wish to earn the Title of Marine and you work hard then great things will happen.Your Dad is just worried like any parent would be.I enlisted in the 80s and things are probably different now but the DEP really helped me get ready and I also got two classmates to join so I was a PFC upon graduation from Bootcamp
    Good luck and remember to never give up.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Well i did try talking to my dad but i dont he took me serious, so i got the recruiter to come over on a random day and just talk to my dad hopefully he will take me more serious when it some to my future. But i understand it not the end of the world and i could wait another year.

Marine Friend Free Member NicholasITALY's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    Well i did try talking to my dad but i dont he took me serious, so i got the recruiter to come over on a random day and just talk to my dad hopefully he will take me more serious when it some to my future. But i understand it not the end of the world and i could wait another year.
    I have to wait 3 more years

Hey man i know exactly what your going through. i started looking into the Marine Corps when i was 17. i finally convinced my mom to go in an talk to my recruiter but she still didnt approve of this. she wanted me to go to college and try the real world out thinking i was to young an didnt know what i was doing. i started going to the PT ever thursday night an was doing really well. my recruiter an the rest at the office soon became good friends an i made my decision i wanted to sign up. after i turned 18 i went to MEPS and signed the papers after i said the oath i felt really good! i knew i made the right decision. i leave 20090921 an i cant wait to leave!! now my mom and i have talked about it and now she is very supporting along with the rest of my family. even though your family wont like your decision its your choice an i have a feeling they will support you in it. good luck man an i suggest join the DEP get you ready physically an mentally for boot!!

Hey bro, let me give you a heads up and some motivation. I begged my parents to sign me up when i was 17, and they refused. They had false hope in me and never making it in. My step dad an i got into fights, face to face and he treats me like sh** he want's to make fun of the Corps every time he can. Saying it's just a bunch of stuck up gay men.

I told him up front to F*** off and don't show up to my graduation, and now every time I here a remark about it, it's more motivation for me because for what I'm going to do and all the men and women who have joined in any armed services gives him the right to speak like that.

Bro it's your life make the best of it I feel what your going through.

PS. Have your recruiter surprise your parents at the front door for face to face conversation, you'll be amazed of the results.

Good Luck

If you still can't get your parents permission to DEP in, you should just stay in contact with your recruiter and go to all the poolee events and PT with them. A lot of the underage high school kids that work out at the RS stations I train with aren't even DEP'ed in yet- they're just staying motivated until they turn of age and can finally sign on their own. It'll be like being in the DEP, but just longer.

Quote Originally Posted by NicholasITALY View Post
    I have to wait 3 more years
    Haha, I feel your pain. Luckily, my father supports the decision to join. However, he expects me to go to college. The one problem I have with this is that we don't have the money and I don't want to be in debt at 18, and that I just feel that college isn't for me.

And Xero, even if your parents don't let you DEP in, still maintain a relationship with your recruiter and PT with him and the poolees as much as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
    Haha, I feel your pain. Luckily, my father supports the decision to join. However, he expects me to go to college. The one problem I have with this is that we don't have the money and I don't want to be in debt at 18, and that I just feel that college isn't for me.

And Xero, even if your parents don't let you DEP in, still maintain a relationship with your recruiter and PT with him and the poolees as much as you can.

debt sucks. hard.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If I were you I would ask your Recruiter to borrow a good Moto Video of the Great aspects of my Beloved Marine Corps and sit down with a Big bowl of popcorn, just you and your Dad and don't speak, just watch it the 2 of you. You'll be spending quality time with him and at the end of the DVD, look at your Dad, I'm positive he will have some tears in his eyes and at that moment you will know that you are "Good to Go'
    Semper Fi Young One,

Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post

debt sucks. hard.

I agree with RhodeIsland. The idea is to make your dad motivated about it. Remind him of what the Marine Corps does and has done for this country. That is the best approach.

And I agree with having your recruiter talk to him, maybe even surprise him at the door. Although that may very well go horribly for you later. But just make sure your recruiter knows what he's dealing with. It is a recruiter's job to win people over, and to be persuasive. I say let him do his job with your father.

My Mom and Dad weren't too keen on the idea either. My Dad came around a little easier, but my Mom took some serious convincing. She talked to the recruiters and said she will only sign if they promise they won't send me to some third world hell hole. LOL
    He said "Ma'am, that's what the Marine Corp does...send people to third world hell holes"

She eventually came around and signed, but not like it would have made much of a difference, that was in November of '98, and I turned 18 in January of '99. So I could have just waited two months at that time...but I started working her months earlier.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonFMX View Post
    My Mom and Dad weren't too keen on the idea either. My Dad came around a little easier, but my Mom took some serious convincing. She talked to the recruiters and said she will only sign if they promise they won't send me to some third world hell hole. LOL
    He said "Ma'am, that's what the Marine Corp does...send people to third world hell holes"

She eventually came around and signed, but not like it would have made much of a difference, that was in November of '98, and I turned 18 in January of '99. So I could have just waited two months at that time...but I started working her months earlier.
    So what happened?

She signed eventually.

Thread Information