Going through Bootcamp in mid-late 20's
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Going through Bootcamp in mid-late 20's

Goodmorning Gentleman,

Recent DEP into the Reserves as an 0331. 26 years old, there are alot of posts here in regards to enlisting in the Later 20's. I know everything is earned in life, will being older afford me more opportunities to Lead in Bootcamp?

As someone who is enlisting in the Reserves who would like to deploy, will there be opportunities for myself to volunteer to be activated? I would like to ask some more questions about being in the Reserves but I will leave it at this. Thanks

Frank

Similar Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by FP2254 View Post
    Goodmorning Gentleman,

Recent DEP into the Reserves as an 0331. 26 years old, there are alot of posts here in regards to enlisting in the Later 20's. I know everything is earned in life, will being older afford me more opportunities to Lead in Bootcamp?

if you want to get noticed in Boot Camp, just bust your butt, do everything the DI's ask as fast as you can and put out 110% every time.

As someone who is enlisting in the Reserves who would like to deploy, will there be opportunities for myself to volunteer to be activated? I would like to ask some more questions about being in the Reserves but I will leave it at this. Thanks

going from Reserve to active is hard, it can be done but it doesn't happen very often

Frank
    when I went to Boot Camp, back in the early '70s, I did everything to the best of my abilities, one morning the DI's woke us the customary way, and shouted to GET OUT NOW! so I grabbed my utility trousers and blouse and ran out to formation. when I got out there I and one other person didn't have our boots on...
    that left a lasting impression on the DI's (needless to say) but the two of us made, meritorious promotion out of Boot Camp the DI's said on graduation day that that one moment showed that we would listen and do what was said WITHOUT question, and that can save your life and other in combat.

Assuming you are not immature for your age, you may find yourself in a leadership position in boot camp. Even 18 year olds joining the Marine Corps are often not the most mature in the world. I wouldn't stress about having, or rather not having leadership positions in boot camp. If you do, you will basically be making your life harder for no real benefit. Standby for a lot of stupidity on behalf of the program itself (it's intentional), and in dealing with kids. I went through PI at 18, and just went through army WOCS a few months ago at 29. Besides being more sore and having my knees bug me, the biggest thing myself and my similar aged peers noticed at WOCS was how dramatic the maturity difference between 18-19 year olds and those in their mid-late 20s was for the most part. At PI, and SOI, you will be mainly among kids, but there will be some guys your age.

As to your question on deployments, it is really luck of the draw. In the current operational environment USMC infantry reserve units are deploying companies piecemeal to various parts of the world. My old Battalion is sending a Company to Japan to train. I have other friends still rotating in and out of Afghanistan, though they mainly have a training mission rather than a direct-action mission. That said, you may recall 3 Marines who were killed recently. All reservists.

There are opportunities to volunteer as what is called an individual augment. Your ability to do so really depends on what the other units need, and if your unit is willing to give you up. From what I recall, it was much harder to do than it sounds, but that doesn't mean it's impossible in the right circumstances.

I did 6 years in the reserves as an 0331 from 08-14, and I've been Guard since last year, so feel free to ask any questions. This site has quieted down a lot since it's glory days, but it helped me a bunch over 10 years ago so I try to return the favor.

Thread Information