Vietnam I Corps Marines Check In! - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Please don't think I'm crazy,but I never saw a tank when I was there.However I'm old to.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    I never seen a USO show,i didnt read stars and stripes untill 5 mths in ,i read it when i was in red beach hosp, Bob Hope was there and i didnt see him, never blose my pants.or shine my booths i dont think i saluted any one when i was in nam, idid see slant eye cats,..................usmc

Talking Morning Marines!

What's doing? Just checking in to say Semper F1!

Quote Originally Posted by kaelobo View Post
    I never seen a USO show,i didnt read stars and stripes untill 5 mths in ,i read it when i was in red beach hosp, Bob Hope was there and i didnt see him, never blose my pants.or shine my booths i dont think i saluted any one when i was in nam, idid see slant eye cats,..................usmc
    I saw Bob Hope in Jan. 68 when he was in Cam Ranh Bay, got some time out of the hospital, he carried his golf club and took a few swings

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    saw tanks on the hills....only ones i saw out in the bush were blown up ones
    never got to see Bob Hope but got to hear that he was in country...guess he wouldnt come out in the bush to entertain us...no blous no shinein boots..but i did get to hump around the bush for almost a full month with my ass gettin skeeder bit cuz my cammys were rotting off....never...and i mean never put bug juce on your ass or other such said things...pure hell and ten times worse the skeeder bites

Here's wishing every one a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

God bless you all! Particularly the Grunts!

Not a Grunt, myself. Was in country 10-69 to 10-70.
    5th Comm, and 7th Comm. Da Nang, various hills around I Corps.
    Spent my time setting up, tearing down, and maintaining tactical microwave shots in the hills around Da Nang, and on some very remote LZ's in the bush, providing communication between the commanders in the field and those in the rear, and supporting a variety of combat operations.

I know I need to check in more. Been busy with the family and grand kids. Lots of sickness going around this time of year. Just bought me a brand new Chevy HHR that gets 32 miles to the gallon. Not a bad little travel car. I'll let you know more on how I fare with it.

I will be going to California in April to visit old friends. I plane to hit Camp Pendleton and MCRD San Diego. In August if God willing I plane to hit Camp Lejeune and visit an old Master Gunnery Sergeant friend of mine, and then it on to Chicago in September to visit my old mom and dad, both turned 82 this year.

I hope you are all faring well in the New Year and that health, wealth, and many blessing follow with you always. Stay in touch here with us because at least for me hearing from you is always good.

Semper Fi!

Gunny S.

RVN 1968-1969

Fox 2/5 1st MarDiv (0351 gunner & 0311 Squad Leader)
    1st CAG III MAF (0311 CAP)

Talking Morning Marines!

It's been tough weather out here in eastern Oklahoma these past few weeks. Looks like we are getting back to normal, at least for this upcoming week. Wishing you all good tidings.

Semper Fi!

Gunny S.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Gunny how it going. how does that hhr run in the snow, it was 62 today here, snow on Thursday,every-time i look in the mirror my back hurts, i was 19 last night, take care....................................usmc

Talking Semper Fi!

Kaelobo!

The HHR is a front wheel drive vehicle and runs good in the snow but I'm still careful if I have to get out in it. Things are getting back to normal out here also. Take care and God bless you and yours!

Gunny S.

Well I saw a tank once in the summer of 1969. It was a sunny beautiful day and we(Foxtrot 2/26) were on patrol mid north eastern I Corps area. We were on a flat, orangish clay road wide enough for a tank and one was following our lead platoon including myself. Some Marines thought they saw enemy movement in a treeline maybe 50 to 75 yards away. We were commanded to stop and get prone, we did. Next thing the tank opens up on the treeline with it's 50 Caliber machine gun and we watched the trees being shattered, cut in halves, branches, leaves and debris flying everywhere, what a show. Turns out there was no enemy and no bodies or blood found but man what a show of the brute force of that tank's 50 Caliber Machine Gun.

Thread Information