CM field Vs. Infantry
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

CM field Vs. Infantry

My name is Caleb. I've been in the DEP since January for active duty, and my MOS field is CM (Combat Engineering). Though I am REALLY crunched for time, I've been considering Infantry. My fear of CM is that I won't get my perfered MOS of 1371 Combat Engineer, but instead I'd get something else I don't want. And my fear of 0311 is of course the fear of dying easier, and if I could survive SOI. I was wondering if anyone has advice for me. The pro's and con's of each the CM field, and 0311. I'd like advice form both Grunts and POG's, preferably people from 13XX or 03XX.

Thank You,
    Poolee Caleb Wiley

Don't let the fear of death decide what you do. you could get in a wreck today and it would kill you. Does that stop you from driving?
    "what is the source of fear? Alexandros reply faltered, Dienekes answered fear arises from this: the flesh. This is the factory of fear."
    -From Gates Of Fire

IEDs and IDF don't care what MOS you are. You could get torn up running a log train. With engineers, even combat engineer, you could get division or more of a construction role.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    you have a better chance of dieing driving on the freeway than you do in a combat zone. Don't let that scare you away from being a grunt. Also SOI is not hard at all, as long as you keep your head about everything it is not anything you can't handle.

As long as you don't shoot anyone on the ranges in SOI I think you graduate. As far as dying, you're not going to die and if you do... sh!t happens. It was just your time. These days usually the only KIA we take are getting shot in the head or IEDs, but you find the majority of those and the other 95% blow up trucks.
    You'll be fine, this war is A LOT different than you imagine it to be.

You could get killed by drowning in less than an inch of water, so why be scared. Don't be scared, I would rather die on the battlefield around my fellow Marines vs getting ran over by some dumbass who had to many at the local pub. Death will call when you don't expect it, its part of life, and living.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for your responses. I understand that God could smite me any second. My main concern was more of it might come sooner with 0311 then other MOS's, but I would feel safer knowing I have other Marines who've got my back. I'm really considering switching to 03XX. But just cause I like to be prepaired; what are some of the drawbacks of Infantry?

Quote Originally Posted by Wileyc333 View Post
    what are some of the drawbacks of Infantry?
    The general gayness of the Marine Corps is usually multiplied by ten.

Quote Originally Posted by Backhaus 1103 View Post
    The general gayness of the Marine Corps is usually multiplied by ten.
    I could say that about being an AAV Crewman as well lol

If your not gung ho about going infantry I wouldnt do it. You should be thinkin about slaying bodies not your own death.

Thread Information