Preparing for OCS, I'm having some trouble...
Create Post

Unhappy Preparing for OCS, I'm having some trouble...

I've been working with an OSO for a couple of months now, getting in shape an preparing for the rigors of Officer Candidate School. In the past three months I have lost 30lbs and improved my flexed arm hang from 45 seconds to the full 70 seconds. I'm still stuck at 75 crunches, but where I'm really having trouble is with the running.

I can run a mile and a half in 12:45, but I'm practically crawling across the three mile line with a time of 27 minutes. My problem isn't really endurance, I am a college athlete on my university's crew team. We often row up to ten miles per practice and I handle the long distances well. But while running, usually around the two mile mark, I get these really intense stomach cramps and I have an uncontrollable urge to vomit, so intense I actually start to gag while I'm running. It's really bizzarre and I don't ever have this problem while rowing or doing any other physical activity.

I've consulted my physician, and he has no idea what I'm talking about. He just old me never to eat before I run, which I don't think is the problem.

I was wondering if any of you Marines have ever had this problem? I'm trying everything I can to keep running, but this is really putting a damper on my training for OCS.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Never heard of anything like this really,unless it is really something serious I wouldn't worry about it and my suggestion would be to actually puke, get it over with, and get your second wind, you'll feel much better!

Endurance for running is different than endurance for crew, because you're using different muscles. It it were me, I would just keep on running.

Thanks for the advice Marines. I usually do end up vomiting, then I sprint home to get a trash bag and clean my mess up out of my neighbors yard, then continue my run. When I googled my symptoms I actually found several other people writing about this problem, mostly women. But nobody had any answers or suggestions for preventing this unfortunate problem.

Yup. Marathoners call that 'the wall', I believe, and you have to work through it.

Some of it is mental, others physical. Alas, I have no suggestions, but I've heard of it.

I've heard loggers who slave on the riggin crew complain of gut aches when they hump long distances like during hunting season or when a truck breaks down in the bresh or they have a falling out with the boss and quit miles from town. It's probably because the back and abdominal muscles are tight and overworked from bending and twisting all day long to the point they might be devolving back into cavemen. I feel similar after working bent over trimming and shoeing horses all day, as do many of my peers. Does that make any sense.

Stretching helps, but not as much as a vacation or change of occupation.

Perhaps a stupid question....but do you do any form of warm up or stretches prior to the run? Many people just go out and run and about half way through feel like they are ready to die.

Give it a shot....can't hurt anyway. Give yourself a few minutes to stretch and do various muscle group warmups prior to your run. Google is your friend for information of that nature. Get a cadence going in your head and maintain that speed. As a platoon, people can run for miles seemingly without getting very winded. Pay attention to your breathing and just run.

Best of luck to you.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I don't know if it is true but I have heard that avoiding dairy products will help minimize the chance of getting a side ache.

If you are having actual muscle cramps then possibly you are not drinking enough water.

Take this for what it's worth but I personnaly had better run times if prior to the run I went and did a slow half mile jog. Maybe that will work for you too.

I used to get them all the time. The more you run the longer it takes for them to appear. Also, make sure you are hydrated. Side stitches are often partially due to dehydration.

When you run your body takes extra blood from your abdomin and pumps it to the muscles needing it more. This is why people often find themselves having to **** during a run. My guess is your body just isn't used to using those particular muscles and you need to just keep it moving. If you were really hurting your body would shut down to make sure you get the point.

Try going 45 minutes on a bike and see if you have the same problems...

Thread Information