mandatory service?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

mandatory service?

Can't believe this bill made it to committee. I hope it dies there.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...bill=h111-5741

I think it's a good idea....This is the idea of a democrap ?
    I say draft all the illegal alliens and send them to asscrackistan if they want to be Americans......lol
    SEMPER FI.....................Ed

Credits
    Savings
    I'm a big fan of mandatory service, as someone who has experienced it (07-08 in the Finnish Marines). I believe lots of people sign for 4 or more years in the service and end up hating it because they didn't really know what they were getting into. This not only gives them a good idea about the military as a career, but it teaches young men discipline and responsibility that otherwise wouldnt get that or ever want to join the service. I personally wouldnt be joining the US Marine Corps if it wasnt for my time in the Finnish Marines. I was somebody who had never shot a gun before the service, (which i can blame on my artist parents), but fell in love with the calling and the lifestyle. I wouldnt have ever known if I hadnt have been forced to do it. Hell, over half the population in US owns a gun anyway- WHY NOT TEACH THEM TO USE THEM?

If you do a Google search,I believe Mr. RANGEL has sponsored this bill many times in the past and it has gone no where.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Lets hope that it dies again this time. Mr Rangle should be out of the picture soon. I served during Nam and it didnt really work all that well back then.

Jim

This bill will be DOA...

No its not going anywhere. But it should.

Serving does not mean joining the military. It can be any type of service.

Some poor kid from West Baltimore=Serve your country.

Some rich kid named Romney or Cheney=Serve your country.

Credits
    Savings
    ^x2

There are many working examples of this type of system in other developed countries

Germany
    Sweden
    Finland
    Denmark
    Russia
    Brazil
    Israel

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I've always thought that some sort of service in and to America should be mandatory. I don't think I'd want the draft back because I believe the majority of American kids could not hack being in the service. Far too obese and lack motivation.

I remember reading in the book "Making of the Corps" that even the Marines are getting recruits who have never had a fight. They take their aggression out via the XBOX etc

No, I'd like to see a mandatory year of service whether it be in VISTA or working in hospitals or where ever they would be needed. The year you graduate from high school is the year you begin your service.

Delaying college for a year gives them a little more maturity, a glimpse of what goes on beyond their academic world. Big question, how do you fund it??

Credits
    Savings
    It wouldn't be like the draft- these kids wouldnt and shouldnt see action during their 1.5-2 yr conscription, UNLESS they volunteered to do it say, after a minimum of a year in (for example)

Credits
    Savings
    The draft should never have been abolished.

Now, however, to bring it back, where these non-hackers attend some 9 weeks of 'training' , get weekends off, and carry cell phones during basic, would NOT work.

The maturity, that I feel was gained, back at the time of the draft, was invaluable.

Just saying ....

Not sure I would agree with mandatory service, I think we'd end up with too many non-hackers in our military just doing the minimum to get by until their contract was up. The way it is now, even those who only want the GI Bill have to put in some effort to advance in rank, complete quals, etc., if it's made mandatory I think it would cheapen the value of all those who volunteered years of their life to serve their country, but this is just my opinion.

Credits
    Savings
    No GI Bill for 2 years draft and no deployment.

GI Bill for 4 years, rank obtained and held, and at least one deployment.

Quote Originally Posted by MOS1310 View Post
    I've always thought that some sort of service in and to America should be mandatory. I don't think I'd want the draft back because I believe the majority of American kids could not hack being in the service. Far too obese and lack motivation.

I remember reading in the book "Making of the Corps" that even the Marines are getting recruits who have never had a fight. They take their aggression out via the XBOX etc

No, I'd like to see a mandatory year of service whether it be in VISTA or working in hospitals or where ever they would be needed. The year you graduate from high school is the year you begin your service.

Delaying college for a year gives them a little more maturity, a glimpse of what goes on beyond their academic world. Big question, how do you fund it??
    I agree. Everyone should contribute something. I would take it one step further & also make it mandatory for females. Freedom is not free, step up and pay your dues.

Sounds to much like this :
    "We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we've set. We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded." obama July 2 2008

Thread Information