PLC during Graduate school?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

PLC during Graduate school?

Marines,

I'll be done with classes at the end of June, and getting my degree in August. I've been accepted to Penn State's MPA program as well. I've done several searches on this website and google, and cannot find a definitive answer either way, forgive me if I've overlooked it. My question is whrether the PLC would still be an option for me. The only other relevant information I have is that I did a 257 PFT with the local Marine recruiter. I'm curious because technically I will be enrolled in school. Also, if I am eligible to go this route, would be I be able to go ahead and join the Reserves beforehand? I appreciate all of your help in advance, and thank you for your service. I'm just trying to figure out my best option to becoming an officer, as my PFT was not competitive enough to get into OCS in October, although I doubt PLC is any different, I thought I'd at least look into it.

No. The PLC program is for undergrads only. Once you have earned your Bachelor's Degree, the only other program is OCC.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    what slug said^^

And if you do consider OCC, you need to get your PFT score up a few points. OCC is pretty competative unlike PLC where you can work on things between junior and senior increments.

Doberman, check out this thread as well. This appears to be the most down to earth advice on going thru OCS: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=89794
    Get back with the OSO (Marine Officer Recruiter) and talk with him about your plans.

Doberman,

As far as I know, it is possible to attend PLC-C while in graduate school (unless they have done away with it in the last few months). I have a friend who just graduated TBS who attended OCS while in graduate school. You said that you've taken a PFT with a Marine recruiter, is that an OSO or an enlisted recruiter? I would recommend getting in touch with an actual OSO if you have not already, as they will have specific information on doing OCS in grad school. Good luck!

Doberman,

I have also heard that there is a PLC-C option for grad students. I honestly can't say I know very much about it aside from second hand info. Like GeorgiaDawg said, you will be better served speaking to an OSO. An OSO will be able to definitely tell you if such a program in fact exists.

I agree with JosephD in that you should continue to work on your PFT. Selection rates have been very competitive with all PLC and OCC programs. I know some candidates turned down with 280s. It is true that the selection rates for OCC are more competitive. Your package is up against a much larger pool than for PLC. That being said, once you are selected, it really does not matter whether you go through the six week PLC Juniors and Seniors program or the ten week PLC Combined or OCC programs. The standards are the same at OCS, and each program has its own specific challenges.

Best of luck.

The PLC programs, Jr/Sr and C, are programs that do not conclude with a commission pending a bachelors degree. And because you already have your degree, this program series does not apply, separated or combined.

The OCC program does conclude with a commission because it's candidates already have their degree meaning the course is the last check in the box to be eligible for a commission.

Both are under the OCS, just different avenues of approach.

Slug, that is generally the case; however, I have heard that there is now an option for PLC-C for grad students. Again, don't know too much behind it. Would make sense, considering a grad student is in the same situation as an undergrad.

Thread Information