My blog from boot camp
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My blog from boot camp

I hope this is the right forum for this.

I'm a fairly fresh Marine, been in for a year and a half now. I noticed before I joined the Marine Corps, when I was searching for information on Boot Camp and the School of Infantry, that there really wasn't much to go off of. Just small stories and some advice here and there. So while at boot camp I decided to write a journal where each letter would detail the past few days (what had happened, how I was feeling, things that surprised me, etc.) I mailed these letters to my girlfriend who posted them to a blog.

Here is the link bertroche.blogspot.com To go to the beginning, kindly scroll down to the bottom of the page, click "Older Posts", then scroll down to the bottom again.

This is mainly intended for poolees (although I know Marines love to have a nostalgic day every now and then), which is why I wanted to post it in the poolee forum as I noticed the testimonial forum isn't as frequently inhabited. Either way I'm glad to finally be able to find a place to post this.

Enjoy, Ladies and Gentlemen.

Last edited by ChuckH; 05-11-12 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrazy View Post

I'm a fairly fresh Marine, been in for a year and a half now. I noticed before I joined the Marine Corps, when I was searching for information on Boot Camp and the School of Infantry, that there really wasn't much to go off of. Just small stories and some advice here and there. So while at boot camp I decided to write a journal where each letter would detail the past few days (what had happened, how I was feeling, things that surprised me, etc.) I mailed these letters to my girlfriend who posted them to a blog.

Here is the link bertroche.blogspot.com To go to the beginning, kindly scroll down to the bottom of the page, click "Older Posts", then scroll down to the bottom again.

This is mainly intended for poolees (although I know Marines love to have a nostalgic day every now and then), which is why I wanted to post it in the poolee forum as I noticed the testimonial forum isn't as frequently inhabited. Either way I'm glad to finally be able to find a place to post this.

I am not sure where I first saw the link, but I read your blog while you were in boot. There were only a few entries at the time I read it, but it was very impressive. I just glanced at it since reading this post, and I am certain it was yours I was reading earlier. I have to tip my hat to you Marine. First, and foremost, for accepting the challenge to become part of our family, and succeeding. For that, I say Congratulations, and welcome aboard. Secondly, you truly have a gift in your writing. You have a way of brining people in and grabbing their attention. The details of your experience are graphic and paint quite a picture. I am no expert, and I do not read a lot of books. What I do know is the writings in your online "journal" is good stuff. Keep it up. You have a gift, so make the best use of it.

Credits
    Savings

Agree

Good stuff Marine ! Talk about thinking back ? very similar experiences as you going thru boot. Hungry all the time !! for one . Moz 68-70 USMC S/F

Great blog. Even though I'm not going to MCRD SD, I still feel somewhat prepared for the challenge I have ahead of me.

Thanks

Good stuff!

Thanks Marine! Greatly appreciated!

Awesome blog, started reading it and couldn't stop! Congratulations Marine!

Just read. Intriguing.

I also enjoyed reading the blog.
    Don't remember ever mopping the floor or spending time in the bathroom though. Was that a San Diego thing?
    At PI we swabbed decks and went to the head,vbg

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrazy View Post

Damn. I've got no words. Thank you. I now have an idea of what to expecy from bootcamp (Parris Island, not San Diego) But...wow.

Thank you for posting your blog Warcrazy, it's awesome to read about Boot Camp and find things to motivate ourselves while we wait and prepare to go.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Warcrazy

I was never a Drill Instructor but I bet you did some imitation of yours while you were there with the changes of them during 2nd Phase. I enjoyed the read. It did bring back stuff from Parris Island, all good memories and how when we got new DIs the platoon was a mess for a while. I think this is by design? At any rate good job and congratulations even though this happened over a year and a half ago.

Semper Fi
    Gunny out

AWESOME!
    thanks a lot man

Thanks dude. Really nice site.

Quote Originally Posted by kman311 View Post
    Don't remember ever mopping the floor or spending time in the bathroom though. Was that a San Diego thing?
    I'm surprised you did not spend much time mopping. We spent at least 2 hours every day making sure the head was spotless.

Also, thank you to everyone for you support and comments. As always, feel free to message me with any questions.

Thread Information