Deciding On A Branch - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    From what I saw at SOI a UZ contract doesn't mean anything since everyone is allowed to take the indoc. In my opinion it is just a recruiting ploy.

There is no indoc anymore

Quote Originally Posted by CQB0316 View Post
    Well then ask yourself what YOU really want to do. If you want to rescue downed pilots and get great medical skills go Para-Rescue. If you want to snoop and poop, take pictures of the enemy, do Recon missions go Recon. If you want the best paying enlisted job, try your luck with BUD/s and become a SEAL. They get a sh*t load of Special Duty pay ( jump pay, dive pay, demo pay, hazardous duty pay, etc ). Its all about what you want, and what you think your ready for.
    Sergeant, thanks for the advice. I just don't want to be seen as the guy who plays too much Call of Duty, because that isn't me at all. I was only looking at the Air Force due to the fact I live near a base with a large PJ population, and have Air Force family. However, Recon is my preference as of now. Being a Marine just seems a lot different than being an airman or sailor. Other than having a good PFT score, is there anything I need to know or be able to do before BRC? Also, I have heard that you can not go into SF/SOF as a 17 year old? Finally, I would like to thank everyone for the answers so far. I know someone will probably mention that my first goal is to get trough boot camp. I realize this, but I also know that there is very little time to prepare for BRC immediately following boot camp.

There is no indoc anymore
    Sergeant, if there is no indoc, would someone go straight to BRC after SOI?

IM NOT A SERGEANT! haha and you will go through RIP ( Formally MART ) Its up to you whether you make it or not and yes this comes right after SOI

Quote Originally Posted by echo3oscar1833 View Post
    This talk about Grandpa's and thinking these young lads know whats going on remind me about this song. Boys, and Marines here ya go, everything is irrelevent haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtaqSbj9-kw
    LCpl, my grandpa actually loves Justin Moore. Showed him the CD, he plays it alongside Haggard in his old Ford.

They ran an indoc while I was there in February of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
    Other than having a good PFT score, is there anything I need to know or be able to do before BRC? Also, I have heard that you can not go into SF/SOF as a 17 year old? Finally, I would like to thank everyone for the answers so far. I know someone will probably mention that my first goal is to get trough boot camp. I realize this, but I also know that there is very little time to prepare for BRC immediately following boot camp.
    Ruck runs with a 55 lbs pack. Youll have to do a 12 miler. And swim....ALOT.

IM NOT A SERGEANT! haha and you will go through RIP ( Formally MART ) Its up to you whether you make it or not and yes this comes right after SOI
    Haha sorry, I apologize, I was used to responding to the Sergeants who had commented. Thank you for the help, Marine. How long is RIP?

Sergeant, thanks for the advice. I just don't want to be seen as the guy who plays too much Call of Duty, because that isn't me at all. I was only looking at the Air Force due to the fact I live near a base with a large PJ population, and have Air Force family. However, Recon is my preference as of now. Being a Marine just seems a lot different than being an airman or sailor. Other than having a good PFT score, is there anything I need to know or be able to do before BRC? Also, I have heard that you can not go into SF/SOF as a 17 year old? Finally, I would like to thank everyone for the answers so far. I know someone will probably mention that my first goal is to get trough boot camp. I realize this, but I also know that there is very little time to prepare for BRC immediately following boot camp.
    Your smart to plan ahead. All you can do is follow your dreams but remember that you don't know just what you want yet. You can't your not a Marine. Until you get in you won't know. Oh how my wants changed once I got in. I thought I had it all figured out but I was wrong. I'm sure other Marines on here can attest to that.

Quote Originally Posted by ritter View Post
    They ran an indoc while I was there in February of this year.
    Well then they brought it back. Or its deffinitly not the same as it use to be. What did it consist of?

Ruck runs with a 55 lbs pack. Youll have to do a 12 miler. And swim....ALOT.
    I live in the middle of the desert, and it was 105 today. I swim all the time. I live near a national park, lots of trails, usually do trail runs, but would rucking help? Or will rucking in boot prepare me for RIP?

Haha sorry, I apologize, I was used to responding to the Sergeants who had commented. Thank you for the help, Marine. How long is RIP?
    Depends on how many slots are open at BRC and if they think your ready.

I live in the middle of the desert, and it was 105 today. I swim all the time. I live near a national park, lots of trails, usually do trail runs, but would rucking help? Or will rucking in boot prepare me for RIP?
    Not even close....in boot and SOI you do humps not ruck runs. You might do some range runs but they are not long.

Not even close....in boot and SOI you do humps not ruck runs. You might do some range runs but they are not long.
    Thank you for the help, LCpl. I guess I will have to try running with a pack sometime soon. I want to prepare all I can, and be ready when the time comes. Have you been through RIP?

Thread Information