Women in OCS
Create Post

Thread: Women in OCS

Smile Women in OCS

I have many questions.... What should I expect in OCS as a Female. What is going to help me the most or what should I really not do LOL. Any feed back would really help. Plus if or when I get through what is TBS like? If Im Married do I just get some weekends off?

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Did you ask your Dad who is a Marine what his opinion was on that topic ???

The majority of women Marines on here are enlisted. As far as I know, there are no female officers active on this forum, so sorry can't help much.

Yes, of course, but he only knows about the mens enlisted side of the Corps.

This question was asked yesterday by another female Marine Friend, and I'll tell you what I told her....I don't believe there are any female Marine officers that belong here on Leatherneck. There are some male officers that may be able to help you out some.
    What I can say about what to expect at OCS as a female......no special treatment because you are a female. You'll do everything the males do, and in my opinion, you'll have to prove yourself more just because you are a female.
    The best way to get the answers you want are to talk with an OSO (Officer Selection Officer) face-to-face. They can help you out better than we can.

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    What I can say about what to expect at OCS as a female......no special treatment because you are a female. You'll do everything the males do, and in my opinion, you'll have to prove yourself more just because you are a female.
    Yup, that's what I observed. We had one female platoon in my company, and we always trained as a company -- no special female PT. The female platoon sergeant instructors were, of course, female. (They were pretty hard too.) Sorry, no special information beyond that from me.

Quote Originally Posted by ammermda View Post
    Yup, that's what I observed. We had one female platoon in my company, and we always trained as a company -- no special female PT. The female platoon sergeant instructors were, of course, female. (They were pretty hard too.) Sorry, no special information beyond that from me.
    Ironically, I was just speaking about this with another Marine today. They are the real deal and earned every last bit of their title. I am not a female, nor did I have any in my company. But I do remember seeing this one female platoon throughout the training cycle. It started off with around 50 candidates. I remember that by the last week; however, this platoon had shrunk to what seemed like no more than a squad. Apparently this is the norm.

I wish I could offer something more constructive, but as I had so little interaction with females, I don't want to give bad gouge. But as you can probably figure out by now, they do everything the males do including humping the same pack at the same speed. One thing I have heard from some females is that it seems the females are more prone to injury for whatever reason. But getting hurt at OCS is something that could easily affect anyone down there male or female.

Best of luck,

Geagle

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I was an OCS summer instructor in the late 70's from E&I Company out at TBS.

Except for grooming standards and I did not observe this first hand...there was not much difference in the training....

And they did have a weekend off.....but I can't remember how far into training it was.

Your best bet is to leave your spouse home until you go to TBS and see what your training schedule is going to be.....because from what I remember up on the hill it was late hours and early rising...sometimes 24/7 for many months.

This is all under the assumption that you make it through OCS and go on to further training.

Rank structure is different and pay is different....but as far as married life goes there is not much difference in officer and enlisted.

Enlisted recruits cannot take a spouse to Beaufort,SC outside PISC or to San Diego...while they go through boot camp and officer candidates cannot set up house in Quantico town or Dumfries.... until it's all said and done.

Thread Information