A few questions on multiple topics. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I don't know what you mean by aircraft maintenance. All shops are maintenance.

The MOS field. 60XX/61XX/62XX. Versus avionics 63XX/64XX

Let me break it down to you.
    1. Flightline also called powerplants. They deal with engines, fuel and blades. Other stuff as well but that is the main thing. They also are in charge of all plane movement. A very busy shop.
    2. Airframes. They deal with the structure of the bird. Hydraulics and stuff like that. They fabricate new panels and get really really dirty. In a Cobra/Huey squadron in war time they are the busiest shop because the birds are always getting shot.
    3. Avionics also called Avi. They work on the electronics. They usually have the most MAFs.
    4. Ordnance. My shop. They repair ordnance system and load the bombs. Remember missiles don't come off by themselves. A complicated sequence of events happens before it goes boom. Ordnance takes care of them. Ord and Avi often work together.
    There are other smaller shops but those our the big four. Again I am talking from the experience of a rotor guy, a fixed wing winger might have different things to say. You may well end up in rotor, I wanted fixed wing and i got stuck there.

Okay now I get it. You talking about the field. Well in that case both options are good. What do you want to do? Wires or get dirty removing engines and panels and hyd lines. Your choice. You need to really dig deep into those jobs and see what ones fit you best.

I'm not sure which of the two yet. The "getting dirty" would probably help me more in building and designing planes after the Corps but I'll check into it. Thank you eazyrider!

Thread Information