Met an Iwo Jima vet
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings

Met an Iwo Jima vet

Ran into an Iwo Jima veteran last week in the Home Depot parking lot. He had parked next to me so we compared license plates and stickers on our windows. He had a hat on for Iwo and I immediately shook his hand. We talked for some time. He was in the 5th Marine Division. He was in pretty good shape although he said he had triple bypass surgery. Said he came out of the fight with only minor shrapnel wounds. In fact He asked Me how I was doing. Nice guy. These men are getting fewer and fewer by the day. We should celebrate them.

Agreed. I never pass on the opportunity to thank those fine Warriors in person.

S/F

They are getting fewer and fewer. I personally knew General Ray Davis. he used to do alot of charity events and such for my High School and i was in the JROTC, i also was a good friend with his grand daughter. when i got out of boot though i wanted to see him and all but he died about a month into my boot. its very unfortunate that we cant meet more of these men and hear their stories.

Credits
    Savings

Uncle ski

One of my favorite uncles "the ole Gunny" himself Gunny Charles Malinowski from Cleveland,Ohio passed away last summer. He was a Devout Marine to say the least. Back in the early 50s,he was a SDI at P.I. and my grandmother and I went to visit him and my aunt Elinore. I have a picture somewhere of me in a stroller at P.I. That makes three times I have been there. Anyway enough about that. He was the founder of the local chapter of the Marine Corps league here in N.E.Ohio (Mentor) Col.Justice detachament. He truely was a Marines Marine. Gary USMC 68-70 S/F uncle Ski P.S. I forgot to mention he was an IWO survivor, and I can't remember the other campaigns he was involved with. gettin old ya know ! LOL !

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GT6238 View Post
    Ran into an Iwo Jima veteran last week in the Home Depot parking lot. He had parked next to me so we compared license plates and stickers on our windows. He had a hat on for Iwo and I immediately shook his hand. We talked for some time. He was in the 5th Marine Division. He was in pretty good shape although he said he had triple bypass surgery. Said he came out of the fight with only minor shrapnel wounds. In fact He asked Me how I was doing. Nice guy. These men are getting fewer and fewer by the day. We should celebrate them.

I met an old Iwo Jima Veteran last year during a birthday luncheon. He wore a hat the read "Iwo Jima Survivor". A buddy I was with was talking about some crap and I just walked away from him and approached the Marine. I was in awe as I walked up to him, the only words I could muster up was to tell him it was an honor to meet him and thanked him for service, as i shook his hand, my own hand was shaking just because I was in the presents of an Iwo Jima Marine. It was an honor to meet him.

My father who is still living was in the South Pacific 1239th Platoon USMC San Diego
    Ca. He was in the 4th reg. 6th Div. He was in several places there. I made a slide show of his pictures of boot camp and also from pictures he took while over there. He
    would send the film home and my grandfather would develope it. He is 85 now and in
    good health with my mother. There are many photos I tried to make better after being in his photo book he got from Camp Pendelton when he first went in. If anyone wants to have a slide show to see it let me know. It also has music from that period.
    Also included is pictures of my Mom and Dad when they first meet and married and then 2 weeks later he went to War. His name is Neil Trepanier.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by cherhen View Post
    My father who is still living was in the South Pacific 1239th Platoon USMC San Diego
    Ca. He was in the 4th reg. 6th Div. He was in several places there. I made a slide show of his pictures of boot camp and also from pictures he took while over there. He
    would send the film home and my grandfather would develope it. He is 85 now and in
    good health with my mother. There are many photos I tried to make better after being in his photo book he got from Camp Pendelton when he first went in. If anyone wants to have a slide show to see it let me know. It also has music from that period.
    Also included is pictures of my Mom and Dad when they first meet and married and then 2 weeks later he went to War. His name is Neil Trepanier.
    Please, for me, and many others, thank your Father for his service.

... and tell him I, nay, WE, said, 'Welcome Home, Marine'.

The slide show would be something special for all who frequent this site!!!!! Thank your Dad for his service.

SEMPER FI,

My father was at Iwo. He lost his left hand to a sniper I can say he was as hard Corp as they get. That is until I came along..............

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by OLE SARG View Post
    The slide show would be something special for all who frequent this site!!!!! Thank your Dad for his service.

SEMPER FI,

I agree I would love to see it as well. And yes please thank your Dad for his service.

Dan

Thumbs up

I just finished putting the pictures from the slide show in 2 albums
    for all to see. I am new to this so I don't really know how to let
    the Veterans know this. Hope you enjoy them and if someone know
    anyone in the pictures please let me know. My e-mail is cherhen@verizon.net

Cherhen, Great pic's. Tell your Dad from all of us here " Thank You "

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    OUTSTANDING Cheryl !!!
    Please tell Your Dad I said Hello, Thank You and Semper Fi.

Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by WXSgt View Post
    They are getting fewer and fewer. I personally knew General Ray Davis. he used to do alot of charity events and such for my High School and i was in the JROTC, i also was a good friend with his grand daughter. when i got out of boot though i wanted to see him and all but he died about a month into my boot. its very unfortunate that we cant meet more of these men and hear their stories.
    When and where did you meet General Davis. We were friends from Conyers United Methodist Church for several years. A prince of a man. He was an active member of the Conyers church as was my oldest daughter.

Thread Information