Mos 1371 - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mos 1371

It depends on what you're doing in division. If you're with a line platoon...expect your load to be a pretty good one. If you're doing route clearance, then it will probably be lighter, because everything you need you can keep in the truck and use as needed. You'll usually have the same gear as the 03xx's do, however you need to pack extra things such as a metal detector and charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Covey_Rider View Post
    It depends on what you're doing in division. If you're with a line platoon...expect your load to be a pretty good one. If you're doing route clearance, then it will probably be lighter, because everything you need you can keep in the truck and use as needed. You'll usually have the same gear as the 03xx's do, however you need to pack extra things such as a metal detector and charges.

Don't forget about weapons. Line platoons are set up like a mini infantry company! Each squad would have a M240, M249, SMAW, and A-Gunners. Also back in my hayday before 9/11 we carried M15 anti-tank landmines. 2 each on a pack. thats an extra 60 lbs. to carry on top of all the new crap that was coming out! now we have all this cool stuff like the Mk7 APOBS, AN/PSS-14 (i liked the PSS-12 better only because its lighter), M303 SOFDK , and all the new MMPVs and MRAPs! Today's Engineers have a lot of tools to use while yesterdays Engineers had the balls to complete a mission without them. think we should be thankful for the R&D that came through the years to help us out for the wars we fight today!

Ah, so that whole 'supergrunts' thing isn't too far from the truth then. In that case why don't 1371's just go through ITB instead of MCT? I mean is it because most 1371's end up in shop or wing instead of division or what? It seems more sensible to train all combat engineer's in ITB since there is the chance any CE can go to the front lines too.

just the way the Corps has it set up. Everyone non-infantry goes to MCT. We are not Infantry we are attached to a Infantry Battalion.

This isn't completely relevant but I remember hearing this being commented on. What's up with the whole 'POG/Grunt' hiearchy thing? I brought it up in this thread because I always wondered how it seemed kinda unfair for infantry to cram a 1371 into the 'POG' category since from what you Marines have told me it seems like 1371 is to a 03xx a USMC standard-issue guardian angel, clearing booby traps for them to stroll comfortably. From the information Sgt. Komenko and the others have given me via PMs or public threads it seems like CE's do more bullwork then grunts do (I apologize if that sounds insulting to any 03xx's reading this) between having to hump all that gear everywhere, playing with IEDs, blowing s**t up, and THEN having to do all that battlefield construction work that I been reading about (i.e. the news articles on here and the Leatherneck magazine about school reconstruction and observation post construction etc.) so whats up with that? Again I'm sorry if this is a little off topic but I was first exposed to the whole 'fobbit/POG/grunt' sibling rivalry this week and I would prefer to entirely understand it since in a way its got to do with my chosen MOS and I'd rather not set up an entirely different thread over it.

Thread Information