Retired military costs and benefits
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Retired military costs and benefits

Marines;

Wanted to post a link to Tricare retired cost and benefits. I know there are a few out there who are considering leaving the Corps but please consider what the benefit package is like for serving 20 years. It's nice every month when the Eagle sh$ts and the check is in the mailbox. If you can do your 20 then please stay in, you won't regret it.

https://www.hnfs.net/common/benefits...r+Retirees.htm

Dan

Thanks sir. That's the WHOLE reason I stayed for '20', finishing out with the Air Guard. I retire in August after '20'. Can't get a thing til I turn 60, but at least I know my wife and I are covered.

Credits
    Savings
    Sgt Lep

It's nice to have that cushion to fall back on if you need it. Will you and the misses get full Tricare? I can send you a link to that as well. My wife passed two years ago, age 49, we were paying $460/year full coverage. TriCare stepped in and provided for Visiting Nurses and at the end, Hospice care. They were wonderful!!

Now, I'm paying $230/year. Where on this planet can you get full medical for less than $20/month? Goes to show that if the Fed wanted to provide coverage to the population, it could!!

Been trying to convince some of the youngsters aboard to try and stay in. Hell, when they retire after twenty enlisted, most will be between 38-40. Plenty of time to start a new career and perhaps later a third. But to be honest with myself, if I were a hard charging, gung-ho type , I would not have listened to the advice of a beached Commander, lol. Ah to be young and stupid, again!!!!!

Good luck to you and your bride Sgt. Lep

Dan

Thanks sir. Yep, full Tricare. No sense in cheaping out. You have my condolences on your wife's passing.

And I agree....had I had more sense, I'd now be REALLY retired, instead of working a midnight shift.....but noooooooo. Ah well..

The Tricare benefit is what made the 21 years worth every second of it. the whole family is covered for $460 a year which gives you leverage options when you retire and look for a job.

My 8 year old son was diagnosed with leukemia in Sept 07, he'll finish treatment this November. He is being treated at Walter Reed, everything but his chow has been covered.

Let us know for whom and such and I am sure many of us will go donate whole blood or platelets in your son's name.

I personally go every two weeks to let the leeches bleed me and would be nice to have someone specific building an account if ever needed.

As far as medical insurance.... in the civilian world.... I am paying (medical and dental) $250 per MONTH. I have some pretty good insurance but certainly not as good as $216 a year.

Credits
    Savings
    PGN63

Dr Z is correct. It would be a big help if you'd fill in your profile. Thanks

Sorry to hear about your son but as you mentioned TriCare was worth everyday we all served

Respectfully

Dan

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZ View Post
    Let us know for whom and such and I am sure many of us will go donate whole blood or platelets in your son's name. .

Great idea Larry

All;

Tomas is doing fine, he hasn't had a blood tranfusion, platelets, or IVIG in a while. He should come off treatment in November, it's a 3 yr, 2 month treatment for boys.

Donating to the military blood supply is the best thing to do.

Since we have been on this journey, the most important thing fiscally that I have learned is that Tricare and close proximity to Walter Reed has saved my son's life.

Dan, I filled in my profile as per recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by PGN63 View Post
    The Tricare benefit is what made the 21 years worth every second of it. the whole family is covered for $460 a year which gives you leverage options when you retire and look for a job.
    Yeah, that is a good deal until they take it away. I'm telling you this because they did it to me as a retiree. A few years ago they were trying to figure out a way to save money. What they (the Sec of Defense) did was to delete a number of "Tricare Prime" areas across the United States. When they did this to me I lost prime coverage and must now use standard (which, as I'm sure you know is much more expensive). Just a word of warning that anyone can lose this benefit and there isn't a d@mn thing you can do about it.

Paul,

Glad to hear you son has not needed any transfusions for a while. Thankfully childhood leukemia has a high cure rate.... not that it doesn't cause much parental concern. I have been donating platelets to the military blood supply for years. We have quite a few here pumping out platelets and whole blood for our warriors.

Guess we need to consider starting a thread on here getting people to sign up and see just how much of the good stuff we can store away for our men and women in service.

Just because some of us are no longer serving....does not mean we cannot be of service.

Give the gift of life!

DrZ,

BZ to how you are still supporting the military.

Yanacek,

I'm tracking brother, we are extremely luck because of our location. We fall under the Washington DC MTF. The rest of the family gets treated at Fort Belvior. Around retirement time, we had two more children (Tomas & Anna) that locked us into Belvoir.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My wife retires very soon. Is there some kind of map that shows where tri-care prime is or is not available? Our plans right now are northern NC.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Thanks sir. That's the WHOLE reason I stayed for '20', finishing out with the Air Guard. I retire in August after '20'. Can't get a thing til I turn 60, but at least I know my wife and I are covered.

Yep, I've got less than two years to go to make 20. I reup next April and will do a sixer as that will get me through what is left of my child support and put me at about 25. If I still like it after that, I can do about four more before I hit HYT. They may have to DRAG my ass off of Duke Field when the time comes. One of my deployments in 2008 takes off 4 months of my time so I can start getting my retirement at 59 and 3/4 (thanks Congress) and if I get to go on another real soon it'll be 59 1/2 for retirement.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    My wife retires very soon. Is there some kind of map that shows where tri-care prime is or is not available? Our plans right now are northern NC.
    Bob

Try this

http://www.*************/benefits/tr...icare-benefits

There are also links to other TriCare sights on the page. BTW wanted to thank you for the B&B info in Bayeux. Great place, that's where I am now. They put me in the Gite, nice room, great hosts and great breakfasts!!!!

OK just saw they x out military dot com. Just insert that into the address above. Obviously without the word dot

Thanks again Bob

Dan

Thread Information