Dress Blues for Funeral Honor guard
Create Post

Dress Blues for Funeral Honor guard

This is a little off the beaten path but what are your views on a group of Marines most of which served in Vietnam and Korea all honorabley discharged or with full retirement doing full funeral honorguard ceremonies for departed Marines in their Dress Blues. They are League members but have nothing linking them directly to the League on their uniforms and have a vey well practiced Honor Guard Ceremony and have been complemented by both active and non active Marines. Is this legal .The government has issued them Flags to be folded and presented to the closest living realtive or widows and so on.They give the rifle salute, the playing of tapps ,the folding, and presenting of the Flag. I personally back thier ceremony it is in the utmost of profesonalism.

The Marines in the American legion do those honors here all the time and yes some of us are WWII vets, Korean Vets, Vietnam Vets, it doesnt make any difference to us what theater you was in as long as you are a Marine. Mind you we are Marines doing the honors for all vets it dont Matter..

I have no problem but The members of the Marine Corps League from their Det.are having the problem.They queston the legality of them being in the League and doing this not in the League uniform I.E. the League cover ,airline pilot ugly white shirt and either Dress Blue trousers or black tousers.This all started with the droping of the Khaki shirt.So they went to the Dress Blues and no Marine Corps League garb.

unless reguations have changed since my retirement a retired menber may wear the uniform for approved functions and a military funeral is an approved function

Once a Marine always a Marine, I will be damned if some son of b*tch tells me I can't wear my uniform when I retire.

As an I&I 1stSgt, I asked casualty branch, HQMC if I could use a retired Marine (and MCL member) to assist in rendering funeral honors. Their response was that he could assist so long as he wore the Dress Blue Bravo uniform as prescribed. That gentleman did so and assisted us in over 100 funeral honor details in a two years. This Korean war vet (at the young age of 75) marches just as proud as any of today's active duty Marines.

I am glad to hear so many positive views I figure when I cash in I would be proud to have any Marine bury me in his Dress Blues .But there are many factions in the League .I love what the League stands for and does but I don't agree with everything they do .I beliecve the order says retired or having served during a time of war. which still aplies to all of them.

It sure is legal as long as you are honorably discharged, Semper Fidelis.

I'm Sr. Vice Comm of the MCL Detachment I belong to, and I know what's it's like wanting to do everything by the book and within regulations.
    Don't know if you have contact info for MCL National Headquarters. I'm sure they'd be able to answer any other questions you may have in regards to this.

Contact The Marine Corps League - National Headquarters
    Mail:
    Marine Corps League - National Headquarters
    P.O. Box 3070
    Merrifield, VA 22116

Phone:
    (703) 207-9588
    800-625-1775 Toll Free

Fax:
    (703) 207-0047

Heres another one UTube (Marine One) check it out...

i am sorry its UTube (Semper Fi 1) check it out

You must adhere to MCO P1020.34G, Uniform Regulations. First of all,not all Marines discharged under other than dishonorable conditions is authorized to wear the Dress Blues after discharge. The order clearly spells out that only those Marine who are retired, or served in a declared or nondeclared war is authorized to wear the uniform after discharge. Secondly, if you fit into the above authorized status, you must adhere to the physical and grooming standards of the Marine Corps. What we have to remember is that at some point, even though we are always a Marine, we are no longer on active duty and should not give the perception to the public that we are.

Thread Information