1st Battalion 9th Marines question - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    westmarland was not fit to command a battalion let alone a war. Sonofa***** got over 58,000 of Americas best killed. If any of you want to read a good book about the 9th Marines in Vietnam and during the time of these false rumorers read "Operation Buffalo".

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ggyoung View Post
    westmarland was not fit to command a battalion let alone a war. Sonofa***** got over 58,000 of Americas best killed. If any of you want to read a good book about the 9th Marines in Vietnam and during the time of these false rumorers read "Operation Buffalo".

I agree. I think Abrams did a much better job, but he was handicapped by the anti-war sentiments beginning to prevail and he was never given the resources or the latitude he really needed. He was also bringing the S. Vietnamese more into the fight, unlike Westmoreland.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooger View Post
    When I was at Hansen in 80 to 81 I heard it was 2/4 that lost its colors in Vietnam, so who knows? I was attached to them with 3rd CBT Engr's B Co. and heard it from their 1st shirt.
    That rumor was alive and well when I was with the 5th Marines in the early 90's. It was just recently I looked it up and found it not to be true. I think it's because their structure is kind of odd. Their H&S and Regimental HQ's are in Okinawa and it's Battalions are all attached to different Regiment. When I was there, 2/4 was attached to HQ, 5th Marines.

Marine Free Member Kenneth Havelka's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    I was in B-1-9 at Camp Pendleton in 1959-1960,Best outfit I was ever in.I knew a Cpl.Leon Burns Who was on that Operation Buffalo with B-Company,He told me it was a real mess, he was a S/Sgt and was awarded The Navy Cross.A real Maine!!

Credits
    Savings
    I guess everyone has experienced some things that they can never forget, Buffalo is mine.I remember it all the time but every year when July rolls around it really gets into my head. I didn't know anyone named Burns but most guys were just a first name or some kind of handle. One thing for sure, if he was with Bravo and made it out he was not only a real Marine he was a real lucky Marine

Gunny Burns was indeed real. He received the Navy Cross while with 1/9. Gunny will be remembered not just for the NC, but he was known for making the best damn SOS at the picnics in Camp Pendleton.

I had the honor to cover Gunny Burns' memorial at the Riverside Veterans cemetery. Rest in Peace Gunny.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There are always rumors in the Corps from ghost Marines to lost colors. I too heard this story while with 1/9 Walking Dead weapons. The name Walking dead was given to 1/9 for the highest KIA in Marine Corps History is the only truth about 1/9. This title the Walking dead should always be held in sad honor due to the many lives who were taken while in service of 1/9 and this story of lost colors were made by those Marines who served in 1/9 due to the lost of their friends they felt disgraced for so many KIA's. The Third Marine Division were in a lock down at Okinawa until they were brought home then 1/9 was disbanded until it was reactivated again for the Iraq war. Rumors are cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzame2 View Post
    When I was in the corps I served with the unit 1st Bn. 9th Marines "The Walking Dead" in 78 & 79 at Camp Hansen Okinawa.One of the first things I heard was a rumor that 1/9 was ambushed and wiped out and lost its colors in Vietnam.Of course being a Marine you I took all scuttlebutt with a grain of salt knowing not knowing what to believe.So anyway recently I searched the net looking for info that on my old unit.I couldn't find anything on unit history that could either dispel or make true the rumor.So I was wondering if any Vietnam vets at this forum ever heard this rumor and are able to dispel the rumor or can provide details as to what happened.This has been something that has been gnawing at me for a while since when I had mentioned to other Marines that I served with 1/9 they would usually say "Oh is that the unit that lost it's colors in Vietnam?" You're welcome to chime in with any info you may have-thanks

Thread Information