OCS switch to enlisted?
Create Post

OCS switch to enlisted?

I am currently in the process of going to OCS in January. My application hasn't gone to the boards yet. I contracted with the OSO, but from my understanding, the contract doesn't mean anything unless accepted by the boards. I've already been to MEPs.

If I enlist, will I need to go through MEPs again? (I went to MEPs in 3/09)
    Can I decide to enlist even though I've already completed my packet for OCS?

side-note: I know the the general consensus is "If you can go officer, go officer." I'm 22 and I finished college this past august. I understand the advantages of being an Officer. However, being a Marine grunt (03xx) for 6+ years is far more appealing to me.

Go with what your gut tells you to. If you go Enlisted you will always have a chance to go OCS since you already have a degree. I knew some Marines that already had a degree and chose to enlist instead.

Credits
    Savings
    Why???

Quote Originally Posted by Tadpole157 View Post
    I am currently in the process of going to OCS in January. My application hasn't gone to the boards yet. I contracted with the OSO, but from my understanding, the contract doesn't mean anything unless accepted by the boards. I've already been to MEPs.

side-note: I know the the general consensus is "If you can go officer, go officer." I'm 22 and I finished college this past august. I understand the advantages of being an Officer. However, being a Marine grunt (03xx) for 6+ years is far more appealing to me.
    That's not a bad thing you will know both sides of the coin by going enlisted first than going on to be an officer.

Officer

I can tell you from personal experience that enlisted Marines will aprreciate and respect you far more if you were enlisted and go officer .The otherside of that is you will know what it is like to be ordered around by some boot Lieutenant with out a clue before you become one.Plus after going through regular boot camp Ocs won't be that big a surprise to you .Good luck no matter which way you decide to go but always remember that little enlisted guy could be the one to save your rear one day so don't be to hard on them.

A college degree does not mean one should strive to become an officer, it only means you qualify to be one academically.

You should only go the officer route if you think this is what you want to be and if you think you are officer material.

And you are aware of the long wait to enlist right now? And unless you are prepared to wait, then getting the MOS you want and the contract you want may not be so easy.

Credits
    Savings
    Going enlisted first will make you much more respected, but if you want to be an officer and make the Corps a career, go to OCS. The pay is much better and you only have to put up with the crap of being a "boot" once. Being an 03xx to start will kind of suck because by the time you get salty, its time to goto OCS and be a boot again...

Check the bold print above. You just answered your own question. We don't need leaders that are not 100% committed to leading.

Quote Originally Posted by ammermda View Post
    Check the bold print above. You just answered your own question. We don't need leaders that are not 100% committed to leading.
    Sir, are you saying that because being an 03 is very attractive to him, more so than being a Marine Officer, he isn't committed to leading?

“Leadership isn't a position, it's a process.”

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I had my opportunity to go to OCS (PLC) over the last 2 years and now I am currently enlisted in a reserve unit.

If you feel that you will not be a good leader or do not want the responsibility do not do it. Now especially that I am a Marine I know that being an officer is something that I don't want. All my friends who got me to join the Corps are all Lt.'s and as much as they like it I know now it wasn't for me. You gotta be very honest with yourself and know for sure that is what you want to take on.

My opinion would be to enlist first and then decide after a few years if being an officer is what you want and go through the ECP (enlisted commissioning program) and be a Mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost3000 View Post
    Sir, are you saying that because being an 03 is very attractive to him, more so than being a Marine Officer, he isn't committed to leading?

“Leadership isn't a position, it's a process.”
    First, I am answering this publicly, rather than by PM, for the benefit of Tadpole157.

I agree with your quote that leadership is not, necessarily, a position. Rank, MOS, enlisted, officer: doesn't matter. The process of inspiring others and setting a course/direction is an integral part of leadership; and this is accomplished in spite of the afore mentioned classifications.

That said, commissioning immediately places a Marine in a position of leadership. I expect my 2ndLt to demonstrate greater leadership proficiency than my new PFC.

Finally, my intent was to stress that becoming an officer 'just because you can' is not a good reason to do so. (I believe I was echoing the consensus.) And for Tadpole157's own sake, if they (as stated) find the idea of being an 03XX more appealing than becoming an officer, that is what they should do. Certainly any 03XX Marine at any rank can be a leader, but more will be expected on the officer side. If anyone is not fully prepared to accept that responsibility from day 1, they should hold-off on becoming an officer. But that is just my humble opinion.

Again, I post this clarification publicly for the benefit of those concerned. Feel free to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by ammermda View Post
    First, I am answering this publicly, rather than by PM, for the benefit of Tadpole157.

I agree with your quote that leadership is not, necessarily, a position. Rank, MOS, enlisted, officer: doesn't matter. The process of inspiring others and setting a course/direction is an integral part of leadership; and this is accomplished in spite of the afore mentioned classifications.

That said, commissioning immediately places a Marine in a position of leadership. I expect my 2ndLt to demonstrate greater leadership proficiency than my new PFC.

Finally, my intent was to stress that becoming an officer 'just because you can' is not a good reason to do so. (I believe I was echoing the consensus.) And for Tadpole157's own sake, if they (as stated) find the idea of being an 03XX more appealing than becoming an officer, that is what they should do. Certainly any 03XX Marine at any rank can be a leader, but more will be expected on the officer side. If anyone is not fully prepared to accept that responsibility from day 1, they should hold-off on becoming an officer. But that is just my humble opinion.

Again, I post this clarification publicly for the benefit of those concerned. Feel free to PM me.
    I appreciate the clarification Sir.

Thread Information