Arizona and Dodge City - South Of Danang - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Welcome Home Billy Collins, I was with India 3/26 S/Sgt.Taylor was my Plt. Sgt.in Dodge City.Meade River Madness Dam there ain't but a Few of Us left too Speak of it.Merry Christmas Marine S/F

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    I remember a SSGT. TAYLOR that received the M.O.H.
    Would that be him?

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    This will be a better Christmas than 68!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yes that would be him Billy,We went too Hell @ came out the other side Brother can't get a Christmas present better than that Marine.Merry Christmas Marine Welcome Home 3rd.Bn.26Th.MARINES "Pathfinders" S/F

For a young Marine like me, can you explain Arizona and Dodge City to me?

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

Indian country....

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

This reading will give you an idea

http://www.war-stories.com/liberty-b...die-1967-1.asp

Quote Originally Posted by giveen View Post
    For a young Marine like me, can you explain Arizona and Dodge City to me?

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

Here are some pics of the Arizona territory

http://www.marzone.com/cplclancy/Vietnam4.html

As a former outback kid i'm trying to feature what the NVA did for R&R in that there valley? All i can think of is sitting in the shade drinking and smoking. But they gotta stay alert for dodgin Marine patrols out and about huntin trouble.

It's known they managed to somehow procure ice and cold beverages 30 miles off the grid, perhaps they also had underground disco's or e-clubs or...

--->Dave

Well I got to Vietnam in late April of 1968 and hooked up with Foxtrot Co. 2/26 just after they finished and left Khe-Sahn. We were around Dong-Ha, Con Tien(A-2, A-3) Quang-Tri, Camp Carrol, Gia Lihn and the Rockpile till maybe late August early September then we went "Afloat" and were choppering off the USS Princeton(LPH5) and into the bush, mostly south of DaNang near Hoi An and An Hoa. Well the big difference between the DMZ area and south of DaNang was the amount of "Booby Traps". We never experienced these in the DMZ area, hardly at all, but in Arizona Territory and Dodge City they were all over the place, and many Marines were WIA and KIA, it was really a whole different ballgame in this Wild West. Semper-Fi.

Well, new guy, you sure know how to bring up old memories from the past. There doesn't seem 2 many of us left here that remembers those walks in the parks and that red dust/mud. I spent from 3/68 - 2/69 in the Arizona, my home was An Hoa, one of the garden spots of VietNam. Lost many brothers in those parts, I had already lost my cherry. Go soft new guy, don't rattle 2 many of the ghosts.

Well I sure don't want to get anyone PO'd here, and I have the utmost respect for all who were there and in da ****. I have always thought it better to not forget and one of the ways to help this is to talk about them, although maybe not to much of the heavy in detail. An Hoa was your home(at least briefly), well I never really had a home at least I never thought of it that way. Foxtrot 2/26 was almost always out in the bush, but I would say that maybe Con Tien's A-3 might be the one. I remember the huge re-enforced bunkers there, and you could walk around upright in them. We also use to throw our bayonets into the re-enforcement beams to have a little fun. I guess even tho we took a few rockets it was the safest place that I was ever in, 'cept the rear area of 3rd MarDiv but this was never more than a few days if that.
    Anyway my purpose here was to respond to fellow Marines who have served in Vietnam when and where I did, oh maybe not the same unit for sure, but who knows maybe I'll run into to someone from my unit. I also want to respond more about some of the more positive things(few as they were, but there were some fun times). So on that note, here's one of those times, funny now, not so much then. We(F/2/26) were at a small area with some small bunkers and this was under the DMZ somewhere as we hadn't gone afloat yet. It had been hot and dry for awhile and none of us had had a shower or anything even closely resembling one, for a month. Well it was a quiet sunny day(again) and I had my Flac-Jacket off, some guys were messin' around and somehow got C-2 powder on the inside of my flac-jacket. Well I put the jacket on and damn did it burn. Since there wasn't any extra water to wash off the C-2 I just had to suffer and deal with it the best I could. Well later on that day me and a couple buddies were outside the bunker of the perps and I tossed a can of C-2 into it, hey PBIAMF!

Hey brother, it's all good. You've just brought up a lot of memories, I hadn't thought about a lot of the things you talked about in awhile. Those mind numbing days in that intense heat, humping, not even caring where you were as we just wanted to lie down somewhere and go to sleep. Days and days of starving. So many brothers lost. I just asked to be able to hear that 1st shot.

I call An Hoa my home as kind of a joke, like you all we were out in the bush and only came in for about 3 days at a time every 3-4 weeks. If you've been there you know it wasn't much.

Welcome aboard new guy, there's a couple of others here from the 3/26 Mongoose and FistFu, great guys. They were all out in the Arizona and Dodge City their entire tours as were we in the 3/5. They got shot up but I defied the odds and came back to the world and lived happily ever after. Ask any of my 4 wives. Take care brother S/F

Credits
    Savings
    FNG comes thru the wire,,,
    shakes the can.......

Good thing nobody cooked off a claymore,
    or popped him one or two rounds

Cyberghost - welcome aboard -
    you know how cranky old Marines can get....
    welcome home.

what took you so long to catch up ?????

Well I was searching for info on Operation Meade River and responded to that thread, and some other threads you might be interested in. Before I go any further I would like to thank both you and advanced for the welcome. I have posted some pictures so you might want to check them out. Ahhhh....the good ole claymore, death to the enemy and heat for da "Cup-O-Joe"(But don't you stomp that heat out!). I also remember the spools of constetina wire filled with C-4 outside A-3. Later y'all.

Thread Information