Radio Operator MOS/Communications - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Listen guys,the Marines is probably one of the very best organisations in the world.It lines you in with a purpose to your life like nothing else. You feel very connected,especially to the other Marines.You feel real truth,and things really matter.We're small,but special.When you need to feel a reason and you won't accept any BS, talk to a Marine. I guarantee you won't get any BS answer especially from the older ones. This is no joke. I swear to it. I have a family. Also watching as my older friends who I counted on are passing away,I'm almost 43 now. These guys are really true people. This is a family,so you will never regret it.You have my word on it. The motto of the Marines is SEMPER FI wich means ALWAYS FAITHFUL. You will never regret the decision. All the best guys.

I was a 2531 Field Radio Operator also. As far as falling back on humps, When the C.O. put his hand out for the handset, your A** better be right there! You humped all the same gear as the rest of the platoon and the PRICK and batteries for days.....You better be the hardest Mofo in the platoon.

How copy, over?

Quote Originally Posted by budweiser14 View Post
    wow, things must have changed...for info my MOS was 2531 field radio operator, and was in TACP for 2nd Battalion 5th marines, 1st Marine Div. Korea Members were 2 pilots and about 4 or 6 enlisted men all 2531 MOS.

our call sign was budweiser 14
    'Budweiser14, this is underhand 6, do you copy, over? Does that sound familiar, Bud? I was with H&S Co.2/5, in 1951. Field radio. My CO, was LtCol. Glen Martin. I don't know how it works now, but when I was there, all Field Radio Operators were volunteers. I've read the posts here, and I haven't seen any mention of why that condition was required. If you were there between Feb. and Oct. you may have talked to me, occasionaly. S/F!!! Ken

Keeping up.

'Dog' Co. 2/5 was sent out on a patrol,And the first order of business, was to pick up an Air Force Jet pilot, who had been shot down,but was able to survive the ride in.'Dog' Co. Commander, Capt. Sam Smith, asked me to go as his Radioman, and Yes, He did ask. We went out just at daybreak, and we moved fast, because the Gooks knew that pilot was out there. Capt. Smith wasn't about to let them beat us to him. We, and the gooks got there just about the same time. After a short argument, we took the pilot, and a Chinese prisoner of the Pilots, and headed for our lines.The Chinese soldier made a deal with the pilot. If we got there first, He was the pilots prisoner, If the chinese got there first, the pilot would be his prisoner. That might stop them from shooting the pilot on sight, Which did happen, fairly often. Capt. Smith, broke off the contact with the chinese, because they had a whole bunch of troops, we could see, coming down the ridge, from their lines. We started hotfooting it back toward our lines, which were about three miles away.The troops were carrying weapons, and water, nothing else. I was carrying the same gear they were, plus 40lbs of SCR-300 radio. we were making good time, and were moving up a very steep hill, when I passed out, from heat exhaustion. I had been keeping up with the Captain, without any trouble, I thought, and in the next second, I was laying in the grass, and two people were pouring water on me while a Corpsman was opening every button on my clothes. The Company Officers set up a defensive perimeter, and ordered the men to rest.
    The Corpsman gave me thorough checkout, including, taking my blood pressure. Captain Smith, appologized to me for for getting how much of a load I was carrying. He told the company officers, and NCOs that The company would not move, any faster than I could, with my load. The Chinese prisoner started talking to the interpreter we had with us, and the interpreter grinned at the Captain, and told him, the guy wanted to carry my radio for me! Capt. Smith said OK, but I had to keep control of the earphones, and the hand set. That kept me pretty close to the Chinese guy. Those Cords aren't that long. When we got to our Battalion CP, The Colonel Told Captain Smith he had violated the Geneva Convention rules of war by letting letting a prisoner do manual labor. He was kidding of course, but that same day, an order went out through the battalion, that no troops would move, on patrols, faster than the men with the heaviest loads could travel. Any Questions? S/F!!! Ken

What would i need on the asvab to get 0621

Wow. A lot has changed since my days of a 2531 humpin a PRiCk-77 for Hotel 3/10 attached to 8th Marines when in the field as an FO/RTO. Called 105mm's and had the pleasure of doing some FAC work with F-4s with the old line-of-sight radios.

Glad to see the MOS get streamlined and use the advanced technology available today.

hello i was wondering if someone could msg me id like to get more info about communications because i recently just got this mos so i would like to talk to someone who could give me tips etc thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by d3vi1d06 4 life View Post
    radio operators are at the bottom part of the 06 field.

im a 0651 tactical data operator, or information systems coordinator. at the top of the 06 field (the data dinks).

in my experience, we dont need radio operators. back in april, i took a week long class on all the new radio gear. in this class were all the radio operators, and the computer guys like me. we were learning about the new radios and testing them out. the computer guys were picking up the knowledge and running with it. while the radio guys were dumbfounded. i personally had a radio up in running and talking to the instructor within 5 minutes. mind you it takes alot of programming to get these new radios up and running. meanwhile the radio guys were completely lost, and this was their job.

my point: the age of the radio being operated by low asvab service members is over. its the age of the high asvab computer guys being the radio operators. because seriously, from what i saw, 0621's cant handle operating these new radios.

mos 0621 (glorified grunt) is in the dawn of being phased out. the 0651's and 0656's are gonna be learning all of the mos's in the 06 field. the age of the geeks has arrived!!!! long live the geeks!!!!!

ooorah!!!
    The new radios require more attention to detail when setting it up, that's it. It's all about following the steps and being able to trouble shoot. You must have had old 0621's that never learned the radios, had Marines that were 'billet radio operators' or some 0621 waivers.

Quote Originally Posted by luis2787 View Post
    hello i was wondering if someone could msg me id like to get more info about communications because i recently just got this mos so i would like to talk to someone who could give me tips etc thank you.

I'm in the same boat as luis2787, just got the MOS and looking for info, just experience stuff, opportunity's and such. Looking to go MARSOC when and if I get the opportunity, I know 06xx probably isn't the best path to this ultimate goal but I'm not a pt stud right now like some of my fellow Poolee's so I am going to have to go about it the long route.

Couldn't get 03xx or Security forces even after extended periods of waiting and field radio op is still pretty cool it was just my 3rd choice so I know a lot less about it then I do Infantry or Security forces.

Hoping to get into a Infantry unit/battalion, any way tips on how to influence my way into the 0621 job and then into an infantry battalion, or is it all up to the Marine Corps, I only as this last question cause I have kind of gotten a mixed message through my research. Thanks for the help Marines!

Quote Originally Posted by bartone View Post
    I'm in the same boat as luis2787, just got the MOS and looking for info, just experience stuff, opportunity's and such. Looking to go MARSOC when and if I get the opportunity, I know 06xx probably isn't the best path to this ultimate goal but I'm not a pt stud right now like some of my fellow Poolee's so I am going to have to go about it the long route.

Couldn't get 03xx or Security forces even after extended periods of waiting and field radio op is still pretty cool it was just my 3rd choice so I know a lot less about it then I do Infantry or Security forces.

Hoping to get into a Infantry unit/battalion, any way tips on how to influence my way into the 0621 job and then into an infantry battalion, or is it all up to the Marine Corps, I only as this last question cause I have kind of gotten a mixed message through my research. Thanks for the help Marines!
    i just be happy with field radio operator or field wiremen

Quote Originally Posted by luis2787 View Post
    i just be happy with field radio operator or field wiremen

I'll be happy just being a Marine lol, just hoping to go the direction I want to go, oh and by the way, good luck in Boot Camp.

Quote Originally Posted by bartone View Post
    I'll be happy just being a Marine lol, just hoping to go the direction I want to go, oh and by the way, good luck in Boot Camp.
    thanks you two

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Dog View Post
    Try to get radio operator. Wireman is not all that much.
    really? well when i go to my mos school im gonna study my butt off to get straight As so i can get first of the pick.

Thumbs up

I was a 2531 Radio Op at Camp Pendleton from 1973-1976. Radio School was 3 months, then assigned to Artillery, HQ 1/11 at Las Pulgas on Pendleton, Over the 3 years there I spent time at 29 palms with the 4th Artillerary several short floats to do amphib landings with the 5th Marines as an attached Forward Observer (FO) for the backing Artillery batteries, once as an FO with a Naval Air and also as an FO for the Marine air wing. During the summers just below Sheep **** hill we also got to work with some Army artillary that came on base to use the Firing range. We spent many days humping the hills with the grunts, or setting up FO positions on top of Mt Mother Fxxker. One of my other platoon Sargent survived a jeep crash coming down from Mt MF on a night lights out exercise.
    Also as the Senior NCO in Charge we cross trained EVERY 2531 and 2511(wire-man) to help out each other. Sadly I trained a few to be sent to Nam, that came home in a box.
    When with the Grunts they covered your ass cause you call in damnation and hell fire on the enemy and in Nam that might have been right on top of their own head.
    Life expectancy in Nam was: 11 seconds for an amphibious landing and 9 seconds on a helo jump.
    Radio Operators are second to none!!
    UuuuRah

At this point i have told my recruiter that the 3 MOS i want are radioman, motor T, Aviation Logistics in that order. My questions are
    how would i go about getting put on combat missions? How heavy is the radio?

Thread Information