Horn of Africa
Create Post

Thread: Horn of Africa

Horn of Africa

Lets make this quick and easy, Im deploying to the Horn of Africa in FEB.

Who has been deployed to the HoA, what was is like there, and did you enjoy it? It is considered a "combat zone," did you carry your rifle everywhere you went? How was your overall living experience? Any information would be nice, thank's.

Its been a few years now since I was stationed at Camp Lemonier, and facilities have been improved (at least they were working on it when I left).

The biggest thing is the heat in the summer. With the heat index expect temperatures in the 130/140 range, and getting 'down' to around 90 in the evening. In the 'winter', expect highs in the 90s and lows in the 70s.

I know when I was there it was considered a 'combat zone,' not really sure why except for the AO. Being an Intel type, I never carried my rifle or even pistol.

I was there in 92-93 with the Team Secure Command Group Operation Restore Hope. It started off ok, then we took fire nearly everyday from one idiot or another. The thing that was bad was everytime you thought you had them pegged, they'd change up on you, but sounds a lot like the Corps huh? They liked to chew what was called COT or Quat a nice little stimulant that would wind them up. If you want anymore info, I could go on forever. Take Care and Semper Fi!.....Artypig

Quote Originally Posted by artypig View Post
    They liked to chew what was called COT or Quat a nice little stimulant that would wind them up.
    That's a HOA thing. That seems to be the only thing the HOA types can do effectively is grow, move, and sell khat. They typically start chewing that **** in the afternoon. BTW, its illegal for servicemembers to chew it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thanks for the education,,,, Didn't know we were there.

Djibouti huh? Never been to the HoA but I have heard some nasty horror stories from of my Marines. Good Luck devil dog!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Didn't know we were there.
    I didn't either until I got my orders years ago, and said "Where the hell is Djibouti?" Never heard of it before!

I said the same thing about Djibouti in 2002 when I found out the MEU I was on was heading there. My personal opinion of the place, it's a **** hole, I won't miss it. They reuse soda bottles, most have aids, going out of Djibouti city you'll see entire families drinking and bathing in mud holes that animals area sitting in, and when it rains there you better have your e-tool on standby.

Djibouti is the hottest place on earth that is continually lived in by humans. Basically I am not a fan of Africa and prefer the Middle East and Central Asia for deployments. I had an okay time, but I was set up a little different than you guys will be. Some Ethiopian women are pretty hot, and they find there way into Djibouti a lot. They are mostly in nightclubs, but I don't think you'll get to them too often. Many are prostitutes...so if you get off base libo, be careful. Pimps in Africa can be brutal and often you don't know you are with a prostitute until after and they hit you up for money (I did threat vulnerability assessments for my command element, I did NOT get prostitutes in Djibouti!). Likewise, you are right across the water from Yemen, and there are a lot of bad people there...terrorists, gunrunners, etc. Here is a little news clip for your SA http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_654457.html

Good luck...and enjoy. It might suck at times, but any kind of exposure to other countries and cultures, no matter the reason, looks good on a resume. Oh, and Ethiopian food is pretty good if you can find it...might have little local shops on base, not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by hussaf View Post
    Djibouti is the hottest place on earth that is continually lived in by humans. Basically I am not a fan of Africa and prefer the Middle East and Central Asia for deployments. I had an okay time, but I was set up a little different than you guys will be. Some Ethiopian women are pretty hot, and they find there way into Djibouti a lot. They are mostly in nightclubs, but I don't think you'll get to them too often. Many are prostitutes...so if you get off base libo, be careful. Pimps in Africa can be brutal and often you don't know you are with a prostitute until after and they hit you up for money (I did threat vulnerability assessments for my command element, I did NOT get prostitutes in Djibouti!). Likewise, you are right across the water from Yemen, and there are a lot of bad people there...terrorists, gunrunners, etc. Here is a little news clip for your SA http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_654457.html

Good luck...and enjoy. It might suck at times, but any kind of exposure to other countries and cultures, no matter the reason, looks good on a resume. Oh, and Ethiopian food is pretty good if you can find it...might have little local shops on base, not sure.
    Ethiopian food? You mean you ate sticks, rocks, and dust? Haha. I know, ignorant, yada yada, but I just had to throw that out.

Well Ryder, thats not too far off. The ethnic food us Americans can afford for, say a lunch, is usually like the local equivalent of a thanksgiving feast out in "the ville". While in AFrica, we always offered to buy our driver diner when we went to restaurants and he was sometimes really uncomfortable in some of the places as only the very well off locals went there.

Shoot, hot, hot, hot, take lots of corn huskers lotion, you can find it in walgreens, I mean it, if your causasian then your gonna need it, hell if you any color other than mirror to reflect the spf thats coming your way, your gonna need protection, and consider this, make friends with a Corpman, get an IV kit from them, you can use this to set up a make shift air conditioner for your sock water bottle to have something cool to drink during patrols!

I was there in 92-93 in both Mogadishu and Bardera, and I can tell you that it sucks, but its survivable!

josefrivera

I was their in 94 for the pull out of the army. Marines went in and gave the army cover to leave and then we left. I was at Mogadishu and it was hot and nasty. We got shot at most days from some fool trying to hit us and a cupple of times the tecnicals tried to rush the gate. If anyone remembers that happening let me know. I need some information on what unit was at the main gate. They were from the MEU. Dont eat the local food and stay away from the women. Do your time with your head on strait and keep safe. Semper Fi.

Thread Information