CrossFit - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CrossFit

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    it's like they say... what doesn't kill you.... only gives you arthritis.
    Slipped discs are fun too.

Just some random stuff. Every Marine base has a crossfit gym now. Or atleast a group of people who have found a gym on base with enough gear to do the WODs. Hell, they are doing it on the MEUs now while on float. It is becoming pretty wide spread. I have been doing it for about year. I even make my platoon do WODs twice a week. If you go on the crossfit forums there is a good list of bodyweight only workouts.

Marine Corps Times just did a cover about crossfit...

Cross Fit

I just read that article on MC Times. I also viewed the pictures where some of the Marines were barefoot??? I never did CF but have seen other 'packaged programs' come along. My issue w/CF or any type of regular organized PT is that it doesn't really help those who are already in excellent shape who may have their own workout goals. If you are a serious body builder, generally organized PT is not the answer. Especially a HIT program like this. If I was required to do organized/structured PT sessions (I was Air Wing and PT was left up to you), I would have had to abandoned my program. You simply can not perform your own HIT program in conjunction w/a program like this. Furthermore, any HIT routine needs to be used w/caution for multiple reasons. After all, you only have so much limited recover-ability available.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    The weighted vest definitely redistributes the weight your carrying a little differently. I'm sure you have strong shoulders like most of us from humping rucks and gear over the years. The weighted vest will just ease the burden on your shoulders, and puts it more on your legs, the benefit is you get the added weight but it's not hanging off your shoulders so it makes for a "nicer" recovery.

BTW -- today I did the WOD (Work-out of the day) :

Back Squat 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 for reps

MAX rep squats w/o spotter
    175x22
    195x20
    195x21
    195x16
    205x10
    205x11
    205x4
    Total: 1375lbsx104 reps

total time 26 minutes

I just got up from my nap after that, I was a little gassed still from yesterday. Time to go out for a college graduation party,,,, might be an off day tomorrow, or just light swimming....

http://www.crossfit.com/
    One of us must have misunderstood the workout. I took it as a strength day and did 7 sets of one rep with heavy loads. I started at 375 lbs and finished with 440, adding a little weight each time. I'll have to go back and check it and see if I did it right.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer56328 View Post
    One of us must have misunderstood the workout. I took it as a strength day and did 7 sets of one rep with heavy loads. I started at 375 lbs and finished with 440, adding a little weight each time. I'll have to go back and check it and see if I did it right.

I didn't have a spot, and I'm not looking to work that kind of weight at this stage of my life. I follow their workouts to an extent, but not to a T. That kind of weight is way too much for me to do reps with.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    reread my saying....
    I did... read into it too.

My old SNCO was big into CrossFit. He didnt grasp the whole "change up the workout everyday" part of it though. We did the same crap, every day. CrossFit is alright I guess. Some of the stuff seems pretty dangerous though, and while I joined knowing I could get hurt, I didn't join to try and get hurt. Some of the **** they had us doing , the reward just wasn't worth the risk.

I think everybody should google "Monkey Bar Gym" These guys are based in the Midwest and seem to have a lot of fun. I remember when the owner was mainly hawking stuff for Lifeline.

Needless to say, I bought a lot of those resistance bands and I use them a lot. Trained a lot of people with them. Those were back in the days when I was looking to fly out to St Paul and get my RKC. Bah, I let myself get nasty and this is what I get; memories of supposed greatness.

Anyways, Monkey Bar Gym always had fun stuff up. They gave me the idea to put on some gloves (rock climbers or even mechanic's gloves) and do more ground work. Running around on all fours is a great work out. Also a good way to work on the posture and be able to move around effectively.

Add a weighted vest or pack to that workout. Ever try crab walking while wearing 20 pounds?

As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes:

15 squats
    5 pullups
    10 pushups

I only did 11 rounds.

I was at the local Rod and Gun club last night,, and it was a late night -- I was dragging my azz in the gym this morning. I should have just stayed in bed.

http://www.crossfit.com/

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post

250 meter free stroke - after 50m I got out of the pool and did 25 flutter kicks poolside, got back in and did another 50m.

Thanks for the idea. I mixed my swim up the other night with sit-ups and push-ups every other lap. SF

Lots of cool ideas in this thread.

here's one that I may have tossed out before;

Heavy duty nylon bag + small bags of sand from Home Depot =

A sandbag you can wear or hump. It moves a lot more than a weight vest and you'll have to work a lot harder against all that weight as it's flopping around on your back/chest/shoulders whatever.

A huge factor in all of this is nutrition. You can workout all you want but if you're not eating right, it's kind of pointless, IMO.

This is my work out every morning before work. 100 crunches in 2 minutes, 17 pullups give or take 1 pullup, run as fast as I can for 2 miles, catch my breath, max set of pullups again, Bench press 5X5 program(every other day legs) then during lunch break, 60 pushups 2 min and then keep going to failure. I take sundays off and ride my bike 10 miles fast.

Thread Information