CrossFit - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CrossFit

PT is never meant to be mastered... I just had this conversation with my 11 YO nephew... I told him he needs to constantly push himself to improve.

he's on his way, but he doesn't have the drive to do it...

I'm constantly changing my workouts. I've never heard of this CrossFit, I'll have to do some homework on it.

Anyone had any luck (meaning, did you notice improvement) using a weighted vest while working out "ie": running, pull-ups, running stairs, etc.
    I'm thinking about buying one.

only if you use a little at a time... don't go an extra 40 lbs... an extra 5 lbs is ok... but it's best for pull-ups and other type of low impact exercises...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner 0313 View Post
    I'm constantly changing my workouts. I've never heard of this CrossFit, I'll have to do some homework on it.

Anyone had any luck (meaning, did you notice improvement) using a weighted vest while working out "ie": running, pull-ups, running stairs, etc.
    I'm thinking about buying one.
    I used a weight vest while in the DEP. Helped my conditioning immensely. I used to actually wear it under my labcoat at work. It went up to 75 pounds and had an additional 25 pound attachment. I worked up slowly but didn't have much use for the entire 100 pounds.

If you can graduate the weight go for it. You can find more expensive versions that firefighters use for training... Or go el-cheapo and just wear burlap sacks full of sand.

Cheap and easy to change the amount of weight you're carrying. Weighted vests are killer on stairs and for pull-ups. Wouldn't recommend running... maybe a few sprints. Too much of an ass-kicker and too hard on the joints for prolonged use while running.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    PT is never meant to be mastered... I just had this conversation with my 11 YO nephew... I told him he needs to constantly push himself to improve.

he's on his way, but he doesn't have the drive to do it...
    Just to elaborate on that point, when I say mastered -- I mean the guy who only runs and never lifts a weight, or the guy who only lifts weights but doesn't do any cardio. You HAVE to mix it up, whether it's a weightlifter/bodybuilder hitting a plateau or a long distance runner who can't improve on their run time.

With CrossFit the days of doing the same workout routine over and over again are,, over. It's much better to be versatile then it is to be a master at one particular thing. Speaking about physical fitness.

Gunner0313 -- I like the idea and have used a weighted vest. It's the same idea of doing weighted dips, it helps. I'm going to buy one sometime soon and start to use it on my runs. I'll let you know how it goes....

Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    You can find more expensive versions that firefighters use for training...
    Are the firefighter ones considered to be the best ?
    My mentality of working out had to change because I hit plateaus that I could never seem to break. Once I changed up, the results were noticeable right off. One of the things that I really got into that mixed up my workouts was swimming. Swimming is an excellent form of exercise that I would recommend to anyone.

Great thread ! Always looking for new workout ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner 0313 View Post
    Are the firefighter ones considered to be the best ?
    My mentality of working out had to change because I hit plateaus that I could never seem to break. Once I changed up, the results were noticeable right off. One of the things that I really got into that mixed up my workouts was swimming. Swimming is an excellent form of exercise that I would recommend to anyone.

Great thread ! Always looking for new workout ideas.
    They just use high quality vests so I bought the one they rated very highly. Can't remember what it's called now.

Swimming is great; kills me like no other. Great for the lungs too.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    yeah... I hear ya.

I'd like to have a 3-5 mile run Mondays, skip Tuesday, MCMAP Wednesday, sport or plt/sqd PT Thursday and leave Fridays for the company or Bn... if nothing then bust out the wheel of PT to decide... include fun stuff as it should be for moral and such... but of course have your kill-everyone PT on there as well.... you always want to leave a bit of fear in them.
    PT is a mind game.
    Standardized PT schedules are bad.
    Leaders along with their subordinates get in a rut and it's hard to push them out of it.

PT is also all about building and overcoming challenges.
    Too often I see units either present PT that is too easy or too difficult.
    Too easy and guys aren't improving themselves.
    Too difficult and you are destroying the morale of your guys.

The stress point needs to be hit by your guys every time you take them to PT.
    This is where a variety of exercises are essential in everyday PT.
    Some guys may hit that wall during long runs, some guys hit it on pullups.
    They need to hit their stress point then improve on it to take it to the next level.

PT also needs to be based in reality.
    If you're a Motor T guy that means relays with a tow bar, if you're Comm that means running up a hill to a position where you can get a good signal, if your a mechanic you can do a kim game mixed with a relay.

The best example is MCMAP.
    It is practiced in boots and utes to often.
    Boots and utes is the starting point for when you are hammering home the details of movement.
    How many times have you had to subdue someone in combat but you have the opportunity to strip off all your combat gear and blouse?
    You probably haven't.

Next time you grapple for PT/MCMAP do it in full kit.
    That means SAPI's, helmet, and all your other combat gear (pre-combat inspections are essential so that no one cheats).

There are no fair fights in combat so don't allow them to happen in training.
    Don't team your guys up based on if they are in a similar weight class.
    That isn't based in reality.
    This isn't MMA, this is tooth and nail, bash your head in while you sleep fighting.
    You could do: one guy slick vs. one guy in kit.
    two guys in kit vs. one guy slick.
    Guys in gas masks.
    One guy blind folded.
    and so on.

There is so much out there that can be done, there is no reason why someone should just focus on one area.

Your average 3-miler and the daily ten is what needs to be seen as the morale building easy PT.
    If it isn't, it means your Marines aren't to the physical standard they need to be.

My daily rant.

good info... filed away for my PT...

With regards to the CFT, the USMC has always had a CFT.

Only it was called the Obstacle Course then.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I spend my days at construction sites, up and down friggin ladders, envy you guys, but I'm too tired.

I still bust out the old Alice pack every once and awile and do stadiums with a 60 lbs bag of Quickcrete. That sucks balls and is hard on the shoulders. I bet the weighted vest would probably be a better option.

it's like they say... what doesn't kill you.... only gives you arthritis.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer56328 View Post
    I still bust out the old Alice pack every once and awile and do stadiums with a 60 lbs bag of Quickcrete. That sucks balls and is hard on the shoulders. I bet the weighted vest would probably be a better option.

The weighted vest definitely redistributes the weight your carrying a little differently. I'm sure you have strong shoulders like most of us from humping rucks and gear over the years. The weighted vest will just ease the burden on your shoulders, and puts it more on your legs, the benefit is you get the added weight but it's not hanging off your shoulders so it makes for a "nicer" recovery.

BTW -- today I did the WOD (Work-out of the day) :

Back Squat 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 for reps

MAX rep squats w/o spotter
    175x22
    195x20
    195x21
    195x16
    205x10
    205x11
    205x4
    Total: 1375lbsx104 reps

total time 26 minutes

I just got up from my nap after that, I was a little gassed still from yesterday. Time to go out for a college graduation party,,,, might be an off day tomorrow, or just light swimming....

http://www.crossfit.com/

Quote Originally Posted by boomer56328 View Post
    Awesome workout.
    I personally keep the workout weight at 30lbs if I'm running.
    It reduces the chances of knee blowouts and future back problems.

Thread Information