Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: C Rations 1953

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Good to see ya, Jack,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by BJKpfaller View Post
    We had C- Rats in 68 at Khe Sahn for a month usually only 2 a day a great way to lose weight especially in 120 degree heat. Being the NCOIC of my section I uaualyy distributed the C- Rats every day sooooo being last to pick I usually ended up with ham and limas. Seeing as I liked lima beans and I had a large supply of hot sauce ity wasn't to bad. Never could stand the trukey loaf. If you were constipated you ate the peanut butter. If you had the runs the cheese would usually cure it and then you had to have another tin of peanut butter.
    Semper fi
    Jack
    You got friends here,,,,,,,, Stick around for awhile,,,,,,,,

With all the talk about the P-38 and after I dug mine out the other day, got to take a close look at it this morning. Noticed it was marked:

U.S. SPEAKER

Are your P-38's marked with the same thing ? Just curious...

Credits
    Savings

C Rats

Biggest thing I remember were the 4 pack of cigarettes. They were so old when you lit up it was like a fuse on a firecracker. If you got 2 drags you were lucky.
    SEMPER FI!!!
    VFM

Dunno if C-Rats would keep forever, but a few decades did not seem to be a problem.
    I only remember one incident of a meal that, actually, was bad. One of our guys opened a can, I don't remember what it was, but all the can contained was the skeleton of a bug. Apparently there had been a pin hole in the can and an egg was inside. It seemed to have hatched, consumed the contents, died and dehydrated over the years. It was quite a conversation piece for a while.
    Personally I liked, most of them. Found the Ham & Eggs were best unheated. Never cared for Lima Beans but enough hot sauce can make, nearly, anything edible!

Quote Originally Posted by txrona View Post
    I was in, in 1963 We went to Nam and had C-Rats from 1945 the same year I was born. We had Lucky Strike, Camel, Pall Mall, and Salem 4 pack of cigs. We also had beans and weenies ham, Lima beans, Chicken Boned, Chicken And noodles. Grape jelly was good with the bread as long as you mixed it well also heated it up. I brought home a can of Beans And Weenies to eat much later it exploded in my closet mad a heck of a mess.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crasha51pan View Post
    With all the talk about the P-38 and after I dug mine out the other day, got to take a close look at it this morning. Noticed it was marked:

U.S. SPEAKER

Are your P-38's marked with the same thing ? Just curious...
    After digging mine out and trying to clean it up with brillo pad ....
    The best I can make out it says:

US Mallin
    Shpcay O.

I didn't mind any of them but the Ham and Eggs Chopped was my favorite if you didn't have a lot of time for heating and fixin' they werent all bad cold.

I always thought they were BEST cold, heated they seemed to taste like sulfur.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coup View Post
    I didn't mind any of them but the Ham and Eggs Chopped was my favorite if you didn't have a lot of time for heating and fixin' they werent all bad cold.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    After digging mine out and trying to clean it up with brillo pad ....
    The best I can make out it says:

US Mallin
    Shpcay O.

I looked this up, Speaker and Mallin were two of the manufactures of P-38s. There were four or five at one point.

Thread Information