Col JW Guy
Create Post

Thread: Col JW Guy

Col JW Guy

I only recently heard about the death of Col JW Guy, whom I served under at MCMWTC from '79 - '80. Rest in peace Colonel.

Semper Fi

Col. John William Guy

Written by Powell Tribune
    Tuesday, 02 December 2008
    (March 20, 1933 - Dec. 1, 2008)

Colonel John William Guy, United States Marine Corps, Ret., died Monday, Dec. 1 at Powell Valley Healthcare after a long and courageous battle with throat cancer. He was 75.

He was born March 20, 1933, in Rock Springs to Holdridge Princeton Guy and Ruth Evelyn (Foy) Guy. John was raised in Cheyenne and graduated from Cheyenne High School in 1951. He entered the University of Wyoming in 1951, but then enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps during the Korean conflict and was stationed in Japan.

John returned to the University of Wyoming where he belonged to SAE fraternity. He earned a B.S. degree in Petroleum Geology in 1959. He married Darlene Malisch in Ft. Collins, Colo., on July 6, 1957.

In 1962, he returned to the Marine Corps and made it his career, retiring as a full Colonel in 1990. John did three tours during the Vietnam War and received numerous medals, including the Silver Star, the Bronze Star with Combat “V” and the Purple Heart. He also earned a master’s degree in Asian History from the University of San Diego.

In 1995, John and Darlene moved to Powell, where he was active in the Powell Rotary Club and the University of Wyoming Alumni Association, of which he was a former president. John received the UW College of Arts and Sciences Distinguished Alumni Award in 2007 and the UW Distinguished Alumni Award in 2008.

John loved to fish in mountain streams. He was an avid reader and enjoyed hiking and time spent at the family cabin in the Medicine Bow Mountains of southeast Wyoming.

Survivors include his wife of 51 years, Darlene, in Powell; his children, Tammy Harshbarger (Bill) of Tokyo, Japan, Shelly Neilson (Chuck) of Raleigh, N.C., and John Jr. (Angela) of Tehachapi, Calif.; his grandchildren, Melanie Carr (Ryan) of Troy, Mo., and Kevin Neilson of Raleigh, N.C.; his uncle, Bill Foy (Freddie) of Cheyenne; and several cousins.

For those who wish, memorial donations to the Billings Clinic Cancer Center, the Powell Medical Foundation, the Moyer Animal Shelter or a charity of one’s choice would be appreciated by the family.

Funeral services will be conducted Friday, Dec. 5, 1 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church. Burial will be in Crown Hill Cemetery with full military honors.

A public viewing is scheduled from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 4 at Thompson Funeral Home.

http://powelltribune.com/index.php/content/view/532/35/

From the University of Wyoming
    http://www.wyoalumni.com/distinguished2.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------

DISTINGUISHED ALUMNI

Col. John W. Guy, USMC

Fast Facts
    Education: BS Petroleum Geology ’59, M.A., UW; Asian History, University of San Diego
    Resides in Powell, Wyoming
    Selected accomplishments: Former president, UW Alumni Association
    College of Arts & Sciences Distinguished Alumni Award, 2007
    Best known for: Silver Star Medal for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action in the Republic of Vietnam.
    Family: Wife, Darlene (Malisch), three children, Tammy, Shelly and John Jr.
    Hobbies: Reading history and military magazines; hiking the back country searching for items of geological or archaeological interest.

Wyoming State Auditor and retired Air Force Col. Rita C. Meyer can think of no one she’d “rather share a foxhole with than John Guy.” Former gubernatorial candidate Raymond B. Hunkins believes Guy’s efforts in northwest Wyoming during his campaign were the reason his campaign did so well in that part of the state. “If John had been the candidate instead of the candidate’s surrogate, we might have done even better!” Milford W. Eversole claims that “if John Guy were ever injured, he will probably bleed brown and gold.” Retired Air Force Lt. Col. William V. Woodward asserts: “John Guy’s life has been a unique inspiration to young graduates and a source of great pride to the university he loves.”

These are just a few of the testimonials that demonstrate why Col. John Guy has been named a Distinguished Alumni UW or 2008.

Guy is a Wyoming native who says he attended UW because that is where his friends went. He says he was not academically prepared so dropped out and joined the Marine Corps. When he returned he earned his degree and then competed for a commission as a Marine sergeant. “I made the grade and went back on active duty, integrated into the regular establishment, and the rest is history.”

His education continued with course work at the University of Hawaii’s East-West Center and at the University of San Diego. Juggling school with ever-increasing responsibility and rank in the Marines slowed down his degree progress, so it took many years for him to complete the requirements for his MA in Asian History. “It took me a total of 20 years and four different colleges to complete something I always wanted to do.”
    While at UW, Guy was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. He remembers an especially fun time leading the fraternity in the Homecoming parade. He wore, among other apparel, “cowboy boots and a girls checkered skirt and used a bathroom plunger as a drum majorette’s baton,” to lead the group along the parade route.

Perhaps in spite of that rambunctious behavior, a series of promotions over his 38-year military career culminated in his achieving the rank of Colonel. As Hunkins points out, “The Marine Corps doesn’t grant promotions very easily, just like it doesn’t give out medals very easily. John has received plenty of both, and in doing so has brought honor on himself, his family, his state, and of course, the University of Wyoming.”

Guy’s distinguished career included service with the 2nd Battalion, 1st Marines when it was deployed during the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis. “We knew Guantanamo Bay was to be held at all costs until we could receive follow-on forces within the week. And that if the Cuban and Russian Forces were to attack and overrun the Naval Base, then there better not be any Marines alive – fight to the last man. That is how we saw it at the time,” he said.

His unit was transplaced to the 3rd Marine Division on Okinawa, where he served as Rifle Company Executive Officer before assuming command of Headquarters and Service Company, 3rd Battalion, 9th Marines. He was then transferred to Hawaii where he served until 1967 as the Enemy Order of Battle officer. Also during these years, Guy saw service in Vietnam, first in 1964 as a training advisor then as an Assistant Plans Officer in 1970 and 1971.

It was in 1969 that Guy’s actions in Vietnam earned him the Silver Star Medal. He was serving as Acting Senior Advisor to the 6th Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, Army of the Republic of Vietnam at the Tam Ky Airport, Quang Tin Province. While coordinating an operation by radio contract intended to clear an area for an air strike, the airfield came under intense small arms fire from a North Vietnamese Army battalion. While continuing to maintain radio contact, Guy was wounded in the face by a bullet which lodged in his jaw. According to the citation, “Despite extreme pain and temporary paralysis of his legs, he continued to operate his radio, realizing that the operation was at a critical point where proper coordination could mean the difference between a complete victory and the escape of the enemy, and that he was the only one thoroughly knowledgeable of the situation. As a result of Maj. Guy’s continued courageous and professional performance of duty after being severely wounded, 168 North Vietnamese were killed in action, while only eight friendly soldiers were killed.”

“I am very lucky to be alive,” Guy said. “There were close calls before, but this one hit close to home. When the military surgeon extracted the bullet from an AK-47, from my jaw, I decided to have it hung on a chain. So, once a year I wear it around my neck on the 25th of February – ‘bullet day’ – to commemorate life.”

Guy has received numerous medals and citations over his career, including the Silver Star; two Legions of Merit; Bronze Star with Combat “V”; Purple Heart; Meritorious Service; Joint Service Commendation; Navy Commendation with Combat “V”; Combat Action Ribbon; Navy Unit Commendation with Bronze Star; and Meritorious Unit Commendation with Bronze Star. In addition, the Vietnamese government awarded Guy the Cross of Gallantry with Gold and Silver Stars; the Honor Medal, First Class; and the Staff of Honor, First Class. The Republic of Korea awarded him the Korean Order of National Security Merit. “I call the place for my awards, plaques and other memorabilia my ‘I love me’ room,” he explained. “Late at night, while softly walking through those rooms, I hear the past whispering to me. I am a very lucky man – relatively healthy, alive, with a supportive family whom I love and receive their love in return. I have been blessed!”
    After Guy retired in 1990, he turned his energy to civic pursuits, among them serving the University of Wyoming. “I wanted to give back to the university and the best way to do it was via the UWAA. Being retired, I could devote time and effort, working alongside Robbie Darnall and others who wanted to keep supporting our college in this manner.”

The Distinguished Alumni award has a special meaning for Guy. “I have watched over the years those who have received the DA award and understand the caliber of those recipients, and feel honored by the Alumni Association and the university to be considered in their league.”

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Ameriken

I did not know that Col John W. Guy had passed away either. I was with him in command twice during my career. He loved Pickel Meadows and hated to be in garrison.

Col. Guy you will sorley be missed by the Marines that served with you sir.

Semper Fi
    Rest in Peace

Ameriken-

Thanks for posting the info on Col. Guy. I've been trying to track him down for year's, and just this evening, I was speaking with another Marine who'd had the honor to serve with Col. Guy.

I served with him for 2 1/2 years at 2/7 from Jan 75 to Jul 77. I can honestly say, that the Marine I became was mostly influenced and modeled after John W. Guy. He will be missed by many.

Semper Fi.

He was my CO in the Philippines. He was one hell of a man and an even better Marine. He will be missed. It was an honor to serve under him. He too was my most influential Marine.

Fullbird, and CPL GG, it's so sad to be looking up another Marine and to hear of their passing. Sorry this is what you had to discover when looking for him.

I served under him in Pickel Meadows, Ca. He really loved it up there, as did I.

Semper Fi.

Rest In Peace, Sir Thank You For A Job Well Done. May God Richly Bless And Watch Over Your Family, And May He Craddle You In His Arms.

Semper Fi

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom wolf View Post
    hello boys....!

Get lost punk!

(Fraud has been eliminated..!!)

Last edited by FoxtrotOscar; 08-06-14 at 09:47 AM.

Thank you Sir

Col. Guy was the epitome of a Marine. While my battalion commander at Quantico, he was my inspiration and one helluvan ally. I've missed him dearly over the last 30 years, and am sad to hear of his passing. Rest well, Sir. You've earned it.

Rest in Peace Col Guy-God Bless you and your Family Forever.

Thread Information