My New Toy; It's a Motorcycle!
Create Post

My New Toy; It's a Motorcycle!

I finally found a copy of the bike I have wanted to get for the last couple years. I had one a few years ago, ...OK, 25 years ago, and sold it because I didn't see a way to legally seat myself, wife, and infant daughter on it at the same time. So I bought a cage instead. Now all the little darlings are gone, and it's time to scratch the itch again! So I drove 3 1/2 hours over to Nampa, Idaho, and picked this up:

It is the same year, make, and model of the one I bought new in 1984, before I knew my then-girlfriend was prego. My first one was red-on-black, this one's blue-on-black. This is the first one, the wife and daughter are in the car behind the bike.

Haven't ridden it yet, the battery's dead and I've been busy, but I'm looking forward to burnin' up the road again! The initial plan is to keep the shiny side up, and the rubber side down. After that, it's time to start hot roddin'! The Canadian cousin to this bike is 750cc's, I may just rustle one of those engines for this one, and build it for go! But first, I have to give myself time to reacclimate myself to two wheels. Don't want to go nutso right away. Hey, I may be crazy, but I'm not stoopid!

Nice find, have an 82 yamaha maxim 650 myself. Great bikes, you can run em' into the ground and put em back together cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by 3522 View Post
    Haven't ridden it yet, the battery's dead and I've been busy, but I'm looking forward to burnin' up the road again!
    You bought a bike without riding it first??? I sure hope you didn't get burned man. SF

Quote Originally Posted by mcvet57103 View Post
    You bought a bike without riding it first??? I sure hope you didn't get burned man. SF
    I looked it over, it's all there, the tires are good, and that alone makes it worth what I paid for it. In the "It's a small world" department, the guy I bought the bike from, 200+ miles away, is my stepdaughter's fiance's uncle (by marriage). I can fix anything that's wrong with this bike, and even if I need a complete engine/transmission, I have a line on one already for a hundred bucks. So, I'm happy enough with the deal already. Battery's on the charger now, we'll see what happens soon. This is a project, I plan on taking it all the way down to the nuts, but I wanna ride it as long as I can this year first.

I had a 1986 red and black Honda CB700SC Nighthawk. Sweet bike, and tons of fun to ride. I miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by cleerje View Post
    Sweet bike, and tons of fun to ride. I miss it.
    That's exactly why I wanted this model! I looked for an '84 or '85, 'cuz I liked the red-or-blue on black, and the NO-maintenance aspect. No chain (shaft drive), self-adjusting valves, and you can ride it straight-up like a cruiser, or laid down like a sport bike. And fast! I can't wait to get back on a bike!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    if the bike has sit for a while,it might have to have the carbs cleaned,jets, passages,the low speed jet gets clogged easy.it has a type of hydraulic lifter that does not like to much real high rpm,above 10.000,read that in bike mag,got an old honda and a new kawallski 900 cruiser,got bags,back rest,and windshield for this old man.have fun and watch out for the blue hairs driving big car or volvo,s.Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Jim View Post
    Have fun and watch out for the blue hairs driving big car or volvo,s.Semper Fi
    Oh, man, don't I know it! One of the reasons I love riding so much is, you have to be in an awareness zone and have your head on a swivel at all times to survive! I really like the concentration zone you need to be in to ride amongst the cages. In my 12 years of riding in my past life, I was down twice, both my fault, and both times involving slippery road surfaces that I failed to read right (both times within the first year of riding on the street). It wised me up fast! I've resurrected vehicles from mothballs before, thanks for the reminder Sgt Jim, I'm really anxious to get this running.

Update: Battery's tits-up! Dang it, another 50-60 bux down the tube!

Congrats. The bike looks to be in decent shape cometically considering the year. Shouldn't take to much $ to get it looking new again if that is your intention. Ride safe.

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    OKAY, you rail riders!! WAY-BACK-WHEN....I bought a 67', or 68' BSA 441 Victor. One lunger, comp. release, and a straight pipe. HAD TO wear a kidney belt....beat the crap out of me!!! Old, fast, butt-kicker in the dirt.....in those days!! Yama, and Suzy took over the streets, AND the dirt....with their TWO-STROKES!!! 750 Kawa was THE bike to beat.....back then! Yama's 250cc dirty one, was winning ALL the awards! THEN......FOUR STROKE????? WHAT?? Yep! I do miss the time when I could move, and raise hell....24/7!!......DOC

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Oh No, I shouldn't have read this thread!!!! SPRING FEVER!!! Ok Rocky, calm down, breath, relax and DO NOT go to the Harley Dealer and buy that Custom FLH Chopper you thought about, you are just too old to relive the old days. But then again you are only 50 and single and have noone to tell you otherwise???? JUST SAY NO!!!!!
    Ok, comprimise. Lease one for the Summer, Great idea Rocky, you Badazz....
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

YOU WANT A REAL BIKE THIS IS GOING TO BE MY NEXT ONE

For all you bikers out there who want to travel that last mile in style!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't think of a better way to have one last ride.

Is that an old Chevelle I see in the driveway?

Quote Originally Posted by sscjoe View Post
    Is that an old Chevelle I see in the driveway?
    It is. That's the '68 Chevelle I'm in the long, slow process of building. Like the bike, I'll take care of the major cosmetics last. Engine, trans, suspension and brakes come first, so I can drive/ride 'em.

Thread Information