Remembering Pohang, Korea helo crash 1989
Create Post

Remembering Pohang, Korea helo crash 1989

March 17 and 20 will be the 20th anniversary of these helo crashes. 1/5 and HMH-363 lost some fine men in these crashes. You can find tributes to these men at http://usmcronbo.tripod.com and on Facebook. There are many survivors from the 3/20 crash still dealing with surgeries. They are living miracles.

wow! i was there, remember that very well, I was out of 3rd Mar Div, H&S Co, Camp Hansen, Okinawa, was in tent city @ Pohang Pier for 3 mo. Remember the Jinlo Soju too! Embalming fluid is what it really is! Get well Marines, Semper Fi

i was there too! I liked korea. the hookers were cheap and so was the budda on the bottle.

I remember that well. That was some bad days for us in the Corps. Gell well Warriors. You haven't been forgotten. Thanks for posting that.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCRonbo View Post
    March 17 and 20 will be the 20th anniversary of these helo crashes. 1/5 and HMH-363 lost some fine men in these crashes. You can find tributes to these men at http://usmcronbo.tripod.com and on Facebook. There are many survivors from the 3/20 crash still dealing with surgeries. They are living miracles.
    Oh this was very bad incident, just visited on site but not get any information of that incident, can you give more detail about the incident?

I remember seeing at least one of those helos going down. I was at Tok Sok Ri (sp?) a dry riverbed if anyone remembers that. Sad day. I was happy to see others remember it as well because I never forgot that day.

Right town, wrong time! I spent 8 weeks on a flyaway (via Taegue) to Pohang back in '77 with the 1/9 from Okinawa. Then on to Operation Fortress Lightning in Mindoro Phillipines where the 3/9 lost nearly 3 dozen in a CH53 Sea Stallion that nosedived into the jungle. Always hate to hear about the fallen. Semper-Fi!

I remember it well, one of the saddest times in my life. The 1/5 helo was Charlie Co. I was in Bravo , crash happened on our last mission for Team Spirit '89. I never flew in a helo again. Rest In Peace my Brothers, and for the rest of the survivors God Bless!

Semper Fi...

Remembering Dave

Dave Pimple was my cousin and a fine Marine. He was a graduate of the Naval Academy and I remember him when growing up. I never got the chance to meet him as a fellow Marine, which I regret...

I am also a charter member of the 1stLT David M. Pimple AMVETS Post 89 in Sierra Vista, AZ. Dave rests in the Ft Huachuca Cemetery here.

I served from 1985-1997 and am currently living and working in the vicinity. I keep in contact with his Dad (my Uncle) Leo SGM USA Ret.

I was stationed in the Dominican Republic on MSG Duty when I got the word. I will never forget that day. Throughout the remainder of my career, I have met and talked to many other Marines and Corpsmen that were present that fateful day.

Semper Fi, Dave...you will be remembered forever.

I was in C1/5, carrying the radio for Captain Harley T. Skidmore III...I watched the helo's land, load and take off. That was the last time I saw my brothers. So many good men were lost, my best mate Mike "Pepe" Depue from Red Lion, PA. RIP Brother. I have photos of the eternal flame memorial erected with the help of Mr. Kim (Mujuk PX Godfather). Also have pics of etchings of March 17, 1984 crash when we lost men from 3/5 and ROK Marines as well as C1/5 with Weapons Co. Attachments. Can't remember a sadder day. They will never be forgotten. Thanks for starting this post. Semper Fidelis, 1stSgt Frank W. Fay III (Ret) 0311/0369/8999/8511/8563/8532

I remember the March 17, 1984 crash, I was in Pohang for 5 months back then. RIP Brothers. S/F

I was there in that riverbed with you that day, brother. I'll never forget it. A very sad day. Godspeed, brothers.

Today 32 years ago about this time in morning CH 53 went down in Korea during Team Spirit exercises. I pray for those survivors to have as of pain free life as possible as many have had numerous challenges. If you want to help them please go to Camp Valor web-site and donate. Thank you ���� to all my fellow Warriors past and present. It was a tragic float that year, 2 helo crashes, transportation accident killing Korean girl, IBS tragedy in Great Barrier Reef taking another Warrior Marine.
    Semper Fi

Found this site by searching March 17, 1989. The worst day of my life. My brother Jon was on CH-46 113 HMM 161 that crashed in S Korea. He died with 3 other Marines. He was 19. I was 18. I miss him everyday. Can’t believe he has been gone 32 years. There are at least 10 of us that have his initials tattooed on our chest and lots of babies have his name. Life moves and is good but my world has never been the same.

Thread Information