I'm a 24 yo. Male, Married with a 1 yo. daughter. Should I join?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm a 24 yo. Male, Married with a 1 yo. daughter. Should I join?

I'm 24 years old, Married and have a 15 month old daughter. I've always wanted to be a Marine. I was supposed to join right out of High School but (being an only child) my mom threw a hissy fit and fell into a depression. So I didn't go. Is it too late for me? I've talked to a recruiter and he's told me everything I wanted to hear. I've heard the good. Whats the bad and the ugly?

Thats only a question you and your family can decide. It depends on your situation with living,job,income,and health benefits. If all of that is great its all on you to decide. Keep in mind infantry and infantry related mos life is very hard on a family with deployments and always in the field. You can however find an mos that does not deploy as frequently and doesnt spend a lot of time in the field. Another thing people forget is the four years in the irr. Recalls are happening more and more these days. How does your wife feel. Does she understand and support this idea. Being 24 is still young. It is not at all to old in the Marine Corps.

Her brother left for the Army a couple of months back. She saw a big change in him. Since then she's been ok with the idea of me signing up. I would love infantry, but being a family man I don't think it would be a good decision. I'm thinking Diesel Mechanic, Carpenter or MP. Do any of those jobs get deployed often?

Mp's have taken a lot more responsibilities. They do a lot of convoy securty so there deployment rate is quit high as well. I am sure there are others on here that know about the other mos's and their deployment rates. Good luck to you

No. You asked, I answered.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    no

Thanks Marines. Can I ask why not?

The good? The recruiter told you.
    The bad? When they gotta ship you overseas for a year or more and you have to leave your family behind.
    The ugly? Some of them Ho's you meet overseas.

(Sorry, you asked)

LOL. Thanks Marine.

On a more serious note, good luck. You'll love the Corps and for the rest of your life you'll have Marine Corps Green running thick in your blood, hundreds of stories to tell your children and grandchildren, and memories that will stay with you forever. Semper Fi!

Thanks Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemorales816 View Post
    Thanks Marines. Can I ask why not?
    Being a Marine is a calling and often a great sacrifice. Most of us didn't ever ask the question you're asking. And if you have to ask, I don't think you believe in it strong enough to leave your 1yr old.

I can say that joining was the best thing that I ever did. But now that I have my own family, I will admit that I left after 8 years because i could not do a deployment that was coming up, so that I could watch my 2 year old grow. But I miss it everyday. There are mos that do not deploy as much but you will do at least one in your 4. If you do go and family is an issue do not go grunt, I was in the field or deployed 2/3 of my first enlistment. But there is a very strong support among the key wives they will be looked after. hope this helps a bit,

I miss it.

If you do decide to join our ranks, don't look at moving your family till after you have completed all your training and have checked into your first duty station. That way you can look at how long you have before you deploy. If you are going to deploy within the first six months, leave your family in place where they are. They have a network (hopefully) of family and friends there to help support them through your first deployment. Many of us where married while in the Corps and it was definitely harder on the family when you deployed than it was on the Marine.

As someone else has already mentioned, do some soul searching, make sure the Corps is what you want. It is hard but well worth it for the rest of your life. Like the people on this site, they are all my brothers and sisters and would do anything in my power to help them out. Even though I have never physically met then. We may argue like cats and dogs, or disagree about many topics, but that doesn't change who we are. That is the kind of brotherhood/sisterhood you will be entering when you earn the title. Make sure you have what it takes to always be there for your fellow Marine when that person is in need.

Thread Information