Joining as a reservist and transfering to active duty
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Joining as a reservist and transfering to active duty

I went and saw my recruiter today and was told the earliest ship date for any MOS was august. I will do anything to be a Marine, but due to financial reasons I need to ship ASAP. The recruiter suggested going in as a reservist and volunteering for deployment the minute I hit my unit. While deployed he told me I should put in my papers for transfer to active duty. This may take several months to accomplish, but in the mean time I can volunteer for deployment to my hearts content. This is an attractive option for me, but I was wondering if anyone out there has any pros or cons for me on this course of action. Any help is greatly appreciated!

pro/con

The obvious "con" is that possibly your unit won't release you to go active. Not sure about volunteering for deployment. Also remember, your recruiter won't be there to put your paperwork through, it could be tough being a young-blood, showing up, asking for favors to leave the unit. Just a thought.

Keep in mind, you will not get rich at boot camp, somehow I ended up in the red leaving the Island. ???

The obvious "pro" of going reserves is that you have flexibility, if you aren't deployed.

Good luck, and get some!

Last edited by richerich; 02-09-09 at 07:00 PM. Reason: semper scriptus

Credits
    Savings
    The things that influence you now won't add up to a hill of beans in 20 years. Step back and look at it all a little more impartially. I know plenty of hard working recruiters who struggle to keep new blood coming into our Corps. Having said that, the second someone tells you to do something "for now" you had best be on your guard. I've seen people who believed that you just go to boot camp and tell your SDI if things aren't working out for you. Laugh now but it happens.

Bottom line-these "financial reasons" that are driving you to ship ASAP are not going to go away just by going Reserve. Dig deep and face them; by doing so you will know you are making the right choice.

As for the options of moving just remember how much training you might have (depending on your job) and remember that you will probably not be deployable until you have at least SOI and your MOS school complete at a minimum. Reservists correct me if I'm wrong. Also try to imagine convincing your 1Sgt the day you check in why he should send a "DevilDog" with 135 days total in the Corps straight to the fight.
    I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just sounds funny to me.

I guess I ought to STFU now and stay in my lane. Stay the course and carry the fight. S/F

FYI

I know of at least two Marines who volunteered to go and was rejected more than twice (reserve and active).

However, one of those Marines is leaving for OIF later this year (but after a year or so of requesting).

From what I have heard its not that easy to go Active. It will take a decent amount of time. Like around a year... Again, that what I have heard. I have two buddys from MOS school who are reservist as well, and because they couldn't find jobs they tried going active. I don't think they got very far.

You sign a contract and belong to that unit from day one in the DEP. You fill a spot, as soon as you sign, so that spot would need to be filled if you wernt there.

As for a Deployment. I don't think its as easy as saying I want to deploy send me alone. As far as I understand, well at least the way my unit does it, is every so often they ask for about 40-50 volenteers. It doesn't matter how boot you are. The paper went around on my first drill, and I was able to sign up. Its a differant story if the unit gets mobilized. Theres talk about 4th MLG doing just that in the near future.

If your doing this asap for financial reason's, obvously reserves isn't going to work for you. You'll still have no job, and no money when you get back. Now if your joining the Corps for financial reasons, DON'T. You will soon be disapointed. It takes more then just money reasons for you to graduate bootcamp. You have to want it.

Kevin, why don't you explain your situation to your recruiter. Maybe he can bump somebody, so you can have an earlier ship date?

Also, if your concerned about $$$, the Army has bigger bonuses.

Last edited by richerich; 02-12-09 at 08:09 AM. Reason: liber scriptus

Thread Information