Reserves to active
Create Post

Reserves to active

I have found a few post about this but the answers varied, so I thought I would ask. How hard is it for a Reserve Marine to switch to active duty, and is there a time limit that you have to be in the reserves before you can switch? At the moment I am set up for a Combat Engineer MOS in the Reserves, but if I decided while in MOS training or after I got to my Reserve Unit that I wanted to switch to Active Duty how hard would it be, and how long would it take? Would I be able to keep my MOS or would I have to switch? Any info on this would be great.

Wow, what original questions. Did you think our answers would differ from the other posts we made? The bottom line is IT DEPENDS on the needs of the Corps at the time.

It used to be very hard, and you had little if any choice over what your MOS will be.

It seems to be a little easier now, but they could change that tomorrow.

Well my first step is to become a Marine, after that we'll see how it goes. I have plans for my civilian life, but if I decided that being a Active Duty Marine is something I wanted to do I just wanted to know if I could pursue that. Right now I'm not sure it is something I want to do, but I know I want to be a Marine. If I do decide to go Active Duty my civilian life can wait, and if it takes me a while to switch so be it. I have a couple more questions before I am done with my rant, I heard you had to be with your Reserve Unit for six months before you could put in to be switched to active duty is that true? Also why would they want to retrain you for another MOS?

Thread Information