Discharged Retired Marines Wearing the Uniform - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    your CO... what do you think he's doing sitting in his office all day???

seriously, I was a company clerk for a few months (training NCO) and I swear... nothing actually got done!! he just sat there staring at a computer screen... the XO did all the real work.

I see where you are coming from as far as wearing the utilities mine have been worn out for years but my 3 dress uniforms are like new, one in a museum and the other two in my closet.

the majority of the uniform regs for everything that has been said here (well that I have said) was geared towards mostly service and dress uniforms... I was just proving my point earlier with E3O about the cammies....

the only uniform items are up there somewhere in that quagmire of information...

and as you said, it's really a discredit to those who wear it with pride when one guys wears it for personal gain, and that's what these orders are really about.

OK, here is a good one, is it OK for me to wear my STEEL POT,,,around town,,,hee heee,,,,"SOUND OFF ALL YOU STEEL POT MARINES"

Quote Originally Posted by ronniejr37 View Post
    OK, here is a good one, is it OK for me to wear my STEEL POT,,,around town,,,hee heee,,,,"SOUND OFF ALL YOU STEEL POT MARINES"
    Mine has black soot from all da cooking in it. What's an old Marine to do?

ROGER THAT, although I have to admit, I didnt wear mine all that much,,,only about 5 times that I can remember when I had some sort of field training!!! Mostly wore my aircrew helmet!!!,,,but yeh, still have mine, it has a lil soot, and the inside is nice and shiney,,,ok, a lil corrosion!!!...........and how did I get it u ask,,,I take the 5th,,,,They did start issuing the Kevlar helmet when I was in,,but never got issued one or wore one,,,mostly the FMF units got them and as far as I know, they technially were still in the test phase and not yet issued Marine Corps wide,,,but love my STEEL POT

Qualification clarification

b. Former Members of the Armed Forces. Unless qualified under another
    provision of this Order or under the provisions of 10 U.S.C. 772, former
    members who served honorably during a declared or undeclared war and whose most recent service was terminated under honorable conditions may wear the uniform in the highest grade held during such war service only upon the following occasions and in the course of travel incident thereto:
    (1) Military funerals, memorial services, weddings, and inaugurals.
    (2) Parades on national or state holidays; or other parades or
    ceremonies of a patriotic character in which any active or reserve United
    States military unit are taking part

Would I be interpreting this correctly if I were to understand that a former Marine who served during the Cold War would be allowed to wear his uniform during a graduation ceremony at boot camp?

Thank You Marine, Semper FI.

Quote Originally Posted by e4tango View Post
    b. Former Members of the Armed Forces. Unless qualified under another
    provision of this Order or under the provisions of 10 U.S.C. 772, former
    members who served honorably during a declared or undeclared war and whose most recent service was terminated under honorable conditions may wear the uniform in the highest grade held during such war service only upon the following occasions and in the course of travel incident thereto:
    (1) Military funerals, memorial services, weddings, and inaugurals.
    (2) Parades on national or state holidays; or other parades or
    ceremonies of a patriotic character in which any active or reserve United
    States military unit are taking part

Would I be interpreting this correctly if I were to understand that a former Marine who served during the Cold War would be allowed to wear his uniform during a graduation ceremony at boot camp?

when they mean war, that definition is combat in traditional terms of firing rounds at each other. The cold war was a war of political power and persuasion. there is not a campaign medal for the cold war (last I heard) so I would ASSUME that it doesn't count.

but a former Marine who got an honorable discharge may wear his Uniform to any Marine ceremony/graduation, so long as they meet full uniform regulations, to include the haircut and clean shaven and height weight standards. I would suggest that if you are unclear on these regs that you get the most up to date MCO (it keeps changing every 5 mins lately....)

I would though, suggest that you maybe wear the red jacket from the Marine Corps League which would be more appropriate for those who have been out for so long ( served during the cold war) Just join the MCL and order the jacket... Marines know what the Jacket is for.

I mean this to be funny (ha ha funny) but isn't this sort of irrelevant question as I know many former Marines. The ones that have kept their uniforms do not wear them as they no longer fit. My uniforms are 44 years old but they still fit. I do not wear them to any functions as I feel that this is for the young Marines still on
    active duty or in the reserves. I wear my red blazer Marine Corps League blazer with my ribbons and awards.

it is for those who have been out a while... though there are some who get off of active duty and in the short time (a few years maybe) are wondering about wearing their uniform for a certain occasion. example would be after I get out, and my air force brother is have a military wedding, am I allowed to wear my uniform.... that's what I figured most of this is geared towards.

what is irrelevant is the direction towards retired military guys... I'm certain they are smart enough to find this information out on their own......... 'course this thread was started by a E-3 Med Sep.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    it is for those who have been out a while... though there are some who get off of active duty and in the short time (a few years maybe) are wondering about wearing their uniform for a certain occasion. example would be after I get out, and my air force brother is have a military wedding, am I allowed to wear my uniform.... that's what I figured most of this is geared towards.

what is irrelevant is the direction towards retired military guys... I'm certain they are smart enough to find this information out on their own......... 'course this thread was started by a E-3 Med Sep.

Aw Hell I bet we don't need round 2....or is it 3?

Credits
    Savings
    I'm just sayin'....

I think he wasn't thinking of all the angles when he named his thread.

Thread Information