Discharged Retired Marines Wearing the Uniform - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    True...true.. very different situations. Had hardly looked at the thread name, to tell you the truth...

I generally speak in vagueness so that I can always cover my a$$

Credits
    Savings
    Spoken like a Consummate Professional... wait I've heard that somewhere....

well I didn't say it to be funny... I really do do this.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    well I didn't say it to be funny... I really do do this.

No I certainly believe that. I was making a poor attempt to allude to the 3/5 motto. "Consummate Professionals". Obviously not known to too many outside of the Mysterious Fraternal Order of the DArkhorse.... dumb.

apparently so.... on both counts.

check out the tags!

What if one served for at least 4 years, maybe longer, and earned the National Defense Service Medal or Viet Nam campaign medals, or even campaign medals/NDSM from the first Gulf War?

But wait...what if the same individual(s) crossed over to another service and retired with that service?

Have they forfeit their privelege to wear Marine Dress Blues in ceremonies honoring their Marine peers who are sailing off into the sunset of their careers?

If they may don their Marine Blues once more, then what rank shall they wear? The rank they earned during their Corps years? Or the USMC rank insignia commensurate with the rank they retired at?

What about medals and ribbons? Admittedly, not all "sister" service ribbons, badges and devices are authorized for wear on the USMC Blues, but of the ones which are, shall the individual wear only the ones they earned as Marines, or may they also wear the ones earned in the service in which they retired?

Example: earned a NAM, GCM and NDSM in the Corps, then earned the GWOT-E and Iraq Campaign Medal in the Army? If the Marine Blues were to be worn for old time's sake, then would the GWOT-E and Iraq Medal have to be omitted, as they were earned later in another service?

"Why not just wear the uniform of the service they retired in," you might say?

Well...sometimes a Marine just has to display his colors, for the sake of old times.

I remember seeing an old WWII era Marine, at least in his 70's, wearing his Sergeant's Blues at a Birthday Ball ceremony about 17 years ago. None of the other Marines batted an eye. In fact, he was the talk of the town, so to say. He looked like a fit war-ready Marine with an old face. Nothing discraceful about his appearance. We even had one former Marine there in his Air Force Dress Blues.

Anyway, how would the reg's apply to those who retired in other services but earned their Blues privelege as Marines?

I have read MCOP1020.34F (getting ready to read .34G), but it still seems a little vague in this regard.

Reading MCOP1020.34G...

Got the answer for the rank question in 11003(5). Only the rank acquired while in Marine Corps service (makes sense).

Still not clear on whether the medals/ribbons should be limited only to those earned while in USMC service...

Still not certain whether the Blues can be worn if the former Marine retired from another service. It would be awkward trying to explain a retired ID card from another service, even with a USMC DD214 in pocket.

However, awkward or common sense is not what I am looking for: regulations, authorizations and standard acceptable practices are.

One more question:

Would former Marines who were retroactively awarded the Korea Defense Service Medal qualify to wear their Blues to military functions (retirements, funerals, parades, etc?)

The reason I have so many posts on this subject is that I know handfuls of former Marines just itching to climb back into their Blues and regain a glimmer of their former glory some day.

These guys will not dihonor the uniform, which is why I'm trying to get a firm handle on the subject. Each of their circumstances is slightly different, but all were honorably discharged.

Wearing Uniform

I found this if its useful

Chapter 45 - The Uniform
    CITE 10 USC CHAPTER 45 - THE UNIFORM 01/26/98
    EXPCITE TITLE 10 - ARMED FORCES
    Subtitle A - General Military Law
    PART II - PERSONNEL
    CHAPTER 45 - THE UNIFORM
    TEXT CHAPTER 45 - THE UNIFORM
    NOTES Sec.
    771. Unauthorized wearing prohibited.
    771a. Disposition on discharge.
    772. When wearing by persons not on active duty authorized.
    773. When distinctive insignia required.
    774. Religious apparel: wearing while in uniform.
    775. Issue of uniform without charge.
    776. Applicability of chapter.
    777. Wearing of insignia of higher grade before promotion

CITE 10 USC Sec. 772 01/26/98
    EXPCITE TITLE 10 - ARMED FORCES
    Subtitle A - General Military Law
    PART II - PERSONNEL
    CHAPTER 45 - THE UNIFORM
    TEXT Sec. 772. When wearing by persons not on active duty authorized
    (a) A member of the Army National Guard or the Air National Guard
    may wear the uniform prescribed for the Army National Guard or the
    Air National Guard, as the case may be.
    (b) A member of the Naval Militia may wear the uniform prescribed
    for the Naval Militia.
    (c) A retired officer of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine
    Corps may bear the title and wear the uniform of his retired grade.
    (d) A person who is discharged honorably or under honorable
    conditions from the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps may wear
    his uniform while going from the place of discharge to his home,
    within three months after his discharge.
    (e) A person not on active duty who served honorably in time of
    war in the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps may bear the
    title, and, when authorized by regulations prescribed by the
    President, wear the uniform, of the highest grade held by him
    during that war.
    (f) While portraying a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or
    Marine Corps, an actor in a theatrical or motion-picture production
    may wear the uniform of that armed force if the portrayal does not
    tend to discredit that armed force.
    (g) An officer or resident of a veterans' home administered by
    the Department of Veterans Affairs may wear such uniform as the
    Secretary of the military department concerned may prescribe.
    (h) While attending a course of military instruction conducted by
    the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps, a civilian may wear the
    uniform prescribed by that armed force if the wear of such uniform
    is specifically authorized under regulations prescribed by the
    Secretary of the military department concerned.
    (i) Under such regulations as the Secretary of the Air Force may
    prescribe, a citizen of a foreign country who graduates from an Air
    Force school may wear the appropriate aviation badges of the Air
    Force.
    (j) A person in any of the following categories may wear the
    uniform prescribed for that category:
    (1) Members of the Boy Scouts of America.
    (2) Members of any other organization designated by the
    Secretary of a military department.

that's actually in this thread maybe two or three times.... but yes it would help.

I too proudly served and wear my woodland blouse on memorial, veterans and Marine Corp. birthday,and never had any problems. I display my squadron patch and 2nd Marine isignia patch, every encounter i've had was a positive one. People would stop and ask what the patches represent or just to say thank you for your service, instead i would thank them for their support and remind them there are still servicemen and servicewomen that need the support of everyone. So the next time you see someone wearing an old cover or blouse out of regulation stop and think, this is what this person is still proud of ,no one has the right to take that from him or her, stop and thank them for their service . every person counts.... always have.

SEMPER FIDELIS

Rick Diaz , ret., U.S.M.C
    HMH-362 UGLY ANGELS

I've never had a problem with an older gentlemen who served wear a uniform item... it's when you have young kids wear it knowing better... and wear it when they do stupid stuff.... and being young, dumb and fat.... making the branch look bad...

those days you mentioned are great days for everyone to wear uniform items in a proper, repectable manner.

A late comer to this party. My history is similar as I did an interservice transfer due to education. What is the guidance on wearing the Marine uniform? What rank do I wear as I was a higher rank in the Navy after I switched? (The benefits of education thanks to the GI Bill.)

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If you wear a Marine uniform, you would wear the highest rank earned as a Marine. However, If you retired from the Navy, you should wear your Navy uniform with the highest rank earned as a sailor.

After I got out of active duty with the Corps, I went into the Michigan Air National Guard. As I was also a civilian police officer, I got to know the Marine recruiters working out of the office in my town and was invited to the RSS MC Ball several times. As I was in a reserve of the Air Force, I wore my Air Force dress uniform to the ball.

I got some funny looks until my Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal was noticed, at which point I was welcomed back into the gun club like I had never left.

Thread Information