Discharged Retired Marines Wearing the Uniform
Create Post
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Talking Discharged Retired Marines Wearing the Uniform

As per a suggestion I am moving these posts here to this thread to start a new discussion. Its all copy and paste but im sure you guys will get the jist of it lol

This one is in regards to a response from NoRemorse on wearing Dress Blues

"Isn't the ball something we're authorized to wear Blues to?"

Yes you can still wear the uniform, as long as it is in proper manner, within regulations, at a proper event that would not bring discredit to the Marine Corps. I love how Marines don't read the regs and just make up there own opinions and thoughts on what a Marine can and cant do. Thats just like something that you do in the Corps that within regulations (haircuts for example) and someone higher up makes up there own rule. Bet I poked the fire on that one.

Here is the link to the Marine Corps Uniform Board, you can find out everything you need to know on the proper wear of uniforms, and uniform Items.

Marine Corps Uniform Board:
    http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/

1. Regulations governing the wear of uniforms by active duty/retired, former Marines and civilians serving with the Corps:
    • Chapter 11 MCO P1020.3G, Marine Corps Uniform Regulations (Source Document)
    • Basic guidance (Active Duty/Reservist/Retiree and Former Marines)
    v Grooming Standards. Anyone who wears the Marine Corps Uniform must abide by the Marine Corps Grooming standards (paragraph 1004 and 8000.2 of the Uniform Regulations). Active duty/Reservists/Retirees and former Marines must also abide by the height and weight standards (paragraph 8000.2 of the Uniform Regulations).
    v Wear of Proper Insignia and Awards. When wearing a Marine Corps uniform you may only wear your current rank, or the rank that you left the service with and may only wear the awards you rate per your personnel records. No deviations of this policy are authorized.
    v Activities where you may not wear the Uniform. Paragraph 11002 of the Uniform Regulations provides a list of activities that you may not wear the uniform (i.e. to an event that brings discredit to the Corps, to events in support of political interests, private and/or commercial employment…).
    v Retiree/Reservist Wear of Uniforms. As a Retiree/Reservist you may wear the uniform for basically any event that you wore the uniform while on active duty.
    v As a former Marine there are some restrictions: Ø You must have served during a time of war (i.e. earned the National Defense Medal during your time in service) and received an honorable discharge to wear the uniform.
    Ø Events you are restricted to wearing it to: § Military funerals, memorial services, weddings, and inaugurals.
    § Parades on national or state holidays; or other parades or ceremonies of a patriotic character in which any active or reserve United States military unit are taking part. ‘Wearing of the uniform or any part thereof at any other time or for any purpose is prohibited.’
    § Recipients of the Medal of Honor may wear the Marine Corps uniforms at their pleasure except for those specific occasions listed in paragraph 11002 of the Uniform Regulations

This one is in response to a comment by Bulkyker

"That raises a question? I went to combat as a Corporal. War over everyone go home and all that. If I decided today to put my blues on for a wedding or a funeral or some such would I be out of regs with Sgt stripes on it? I've read the regs and somewhere in there it says highest rank held while in combat. Believe me fitting into my blues again is a pipe dream but it is an interesting question."

I just posted all of this in the above thread. You got out as a Sergeant, you can wear the Sgt. Stripes. Whatever your last rank was when you got out.

v Wear of Proper Insignia and Awards. When wearing a Marine Corps uniform you may only wear your current rank, or the rank that you left the service with and may only wear the awards you rate per your personnel records. No deviations of this policy are authorized.

Me just adding some more of all of this

Im going to add something to all of this that I wrote. Talking about Marines Making up regs, because they don't know the real one. I have seen time and time again. When a Higher up makes up there own rule about what a Marine needs to do. I will use the Haircut thing again, say I have a little hair on the sides, and its perfectly within regs. Then I get a Captian for example tell me I need a high and tight. Well in my eyes that Captian is wrong.

A: He cannot make me get a high and tight
    B: He is not following an order that is directed, why is this, because the Uniform Guidelines are whats called a MCO (Marine Corps Order). Stated simply it is an order directed usually by Senior SNCO's and Higher Officers that is to be adheared to.

It brings up the question. How many Marines actually realize by making up there own rules they are

A: in violation of UCMJ
    B: Make themselves look really dumb when a Sergeant Major or Colonel, or anyone else with a higher rank corrects them on how wrong they are.

Now agian this just how I look at all of it. Simple and dry, by whats in the Orders. Any Marines feel free to discuss this with me, as I am always up to a good debate lol. Semper Fi Marines

BTW: I did have a high and tight rofl

There ya go that is all of it lol. Semper Fi

Well it seems your the Uniform guru so Ill ask. Please correct me if Im wrong cause Id like to know before chewing or getting chewed out and Im sure some are wondering also.

1.Would a set of cammies with no name tapes be non-servicable just like a set of cammies without your personal marking stenciled in?

2. If yes then wouldnt a set of cammies with name tapes,no rank or personal marking be exempt from the rules since its unserviceable?

3.Would these rules apply to phased out gear like the old woodland cammies or those really old all green cammies (no offense to you really old Marines)

I Have A Woodland Cammie Cover With The Marine Corps Emblem Embroided In Blue & Gold. Woodland Cammie Blouse With Red & Green Cpl. Chevrons On The Sleeves. Was Told Several Years Ago By The Basse Commander At Clnc Tyhat I Had A Damm Nice Uniform. Even Received A Compliment From Gen Jones On My Uniform. Only Problem That I Had Was A Hard Ass 1st Sgt. Just Back From Iraq.

E-301833--- If all of this was followed Sgt. Gritt would be out of baseness. Also all the Army-Navy stores. Also during the late 1960-70s it would make me mad as hell to see some damn hippie in a old dress blues or any other military item. I found out the hard way not to kick the crap out of them, This was done in court.

LOL......Understood Lcpl. Im not one for asschewing the tan belt did not go to my head. It was more to protect my ass or another Marine.I would not have a problem if some old salt wanted to wear his dress blues everyday til the day he passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldonado 2060 View Post
    LOL......Understood Lcpl. Im not one for asschewing the tan belt did not go to my head. It was more to protect my ass or another Marine.I would not have a problem if some old salt wanted to wear his dress blues everyday til the day he passes.
    He'd be going out in style then.

I left active duty 30 years ago this year. I earned my title and served Honorably, if I want to wear my old utility cover with the EGA I am going to wear it with pride regardless of Chapter 11 MCO P 10203G.

Talking Agree

Quote Originally Posted by sscjoe View Post
    I left active duty 30 years ago this year. I earned my title and served Honorably, if I want to wear my old utility cover with the EGA I am going to wear it with pride regardless of Chapter 11 MCO P 10203G.
    I agree with you. I posted all of this information just to let people know the facts nothing more. I could care less if a Marine wears his old Cammie cover out and around. My dad, and uncle used to wear theres all the time. Again just stating the facts nothing more

Quote Originally Posted by echo3oscar1833 View Post
    I agree with you on this. However there is a difference in collector Items, and Official Uniform Items. For example the Digital Covers in Sgt Grits with the cool colorful EGA, and Ribbons embroidered on them. That cover is Not an official Marpat Cover. Also on some of the actual uniform Items in there that are for sale actually go with Uniforms such as covers, belts, dress blue buttons, gloves, etc. These are uniform items that are authorized to be sold by a civilian distributor. As for the actual cammies in the Sgt Grit Catalog that I am looking at right now. If you look all of the digitial cammies they are non-Marpat. They do not have the EGA, or nametapes. As for the old woodlands agian no nametapes, or EGA. Now for the boots that you can buy, they are official. However as we all know dress shoes, and boots are authorized to be worn with civilian clothing and any stinking fool can buy them. As far as the rest of the stuff in Sgt Grits. Some of it is Official Ribbons and Medals, which if entitled to any Veteran can buy, and the rest of the stuff is nothing more that novelty stuff such as bumber stickers, pins, clothing, etc.
    the boots are not authorized once they put the EGA on them... they are apart of your cammies that can't be worn off base unless you have the authorized reason.

Quote Originally Posted by 3522 View Post
    When I was active duty, 30+ years ago, they told us that we could wear two uniform items 'out-to-town', the raincoat w/o insignia, and the utility web belt. I have been wearing the web belt w/anodized tip and buckle for for about that long. I like it. It identifies a Marine to other Marines who notice, and it's practical! I can use it for a tourniquet if needed, and the buckle makes a great bottle opener! My father, a Korea veteran Marine, wore an OD utility cover for as long as I knew him. I think one of his proudest moments (besides when I graduated basic training) was when I brought him a few new covers to replace his old, crusty one (it was beyond salty!). They were exactly the same as the old one. I doubt that anyone could take these uniform items away from either of us without a great new scar or two!

the issue arises when you have a military UNIFORM on and get into trouble. as for wearing an item of the uniform AFTER you left service entirely is something completely different... why? because the UCMJ doesn't apply to you anymore.

funny thing is, when in the IRR it still does... and when you have so many people wearing uniform items around and acting like a hard asz and gets whooped... that's another reason for the rules.

don't forget that if you wear your uniform after you seperate in a way that discredits the service you can be charged with the stolen valor act... there are stipulations that prevent service members from walking around wearing dress blues to work because "you don't have authority over me anymore..." (which is a lame excuse)

so to summarize my confusing-out-of-order post here, it's ok to represent the Marine Corps with old gear as long as you do it in a tackful way, and don't go around causing trouble while wearing that gear. You served your country and as a proud patriot can show your pride to every passer-by.

Some good information.

Okay, here's a question. I retired as a MSgt, E-8. I'm planning on attending a WW-II USO dance. The prescribed attire is period clothing. I plan on wearing either dress greens or khakis. No problem with the ribbons--I will just not wear ribbons that I rate that did not exist in 1945. The problem is the rank. A "six-striper" in 1945 was a "Sergeant Major" or a "Master Technical Sergeant." The rank of "Master Sergeant" did not exist at the time. Any thoughts on wearing the insignia of rank for as a Master Technical Sergeant (six stripes)? According to the policy, deviations to the insignia of grade is not authorized, but this is a rather unusual case. I'd like to add that I have seen WW-II reenactors wearing complete period uniforms with insignia of grade that they never held--sometimes even the uniforms of officers. Of course, I recognize that their intent is education and not fraudulent.

Quote Originally Posted by yanacek View Post
    Some good information.

Okay, here's a question. I retired as a MSgt, E-8. I'm planning on attending a WW-II USO dance. The prescribed attire is period clothing. I plan on wearing either dress greens or khakis. No problem with the ribbons--I will just not wear ribbons that I rate that did not exist in 1945. The problem is the rank. A "six-striper" in 1945 was a "Sergeant Major" or a "Master Technical Sergeant." The rank of "Master Sergeant" did not exist at the time. Any thoughts on wearing the insignia of rank for as a Master Technical Sergeant (six stripes)? According to the policy, deviations to the insignia of grade is not authorized, but this is a rather unusual case. I'd like to add that I have seen WW-II reenactors wearing complete period uniforms with insignia of grade that they never held--sometimes even the uniforms of officers. Of course, I recognize that their intent is education and not fraudulent.
    well, since E-8 wasn't around them and it was a couple of different e-7s... do you think that being a Staff Sgt at the time would be equivalent or would you want to be a Plt Sgt (e-7) which I think was a step-up... I could be wrong about the step-up as plt Sgt... it may be that sidestep like first Sgt and SgtMaj....

I'd go with the tech Sgt.......................... yeah, that's an e-7 if I remember correctly and it's non-combat related where as the Staff Sgt was combat.... right? Where's our old salts? I think I know one on here.. I'll point him to your question, that will get a solid answer instead of my soggy turd one.

There were no E-7s, E-6s, etc. before 1947. A six-striper was what they called a "Grade 1" while a five-striper was a "Grade 2", all the way down to Private, "Grade 7." Then in 1959 they added LCpl and SgtMaj/MGySgt at the top to further confuse matters. I may have to call HQMC with this one.

This illustrates the comparative rank structures: http://www.obxmarines.com/documents/rank.html

well you can see how confused I am... I'm getting bucksgted involved to help you out... and Sgt Lep is a great resource for uniform regs... he's the site genius on the subject.

Thanks for referring this one. I look forward to hearing from them.

Thread Information