Marine Corps Security Force - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    are there bonuses for be in the Security Force?

Ya you get to do extra firewatch. And firewatch is sweet.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    i'm plenty pumped to go in for Security Forces. people tell me it's just a security job, and it involves a lot of standing around doing nothing, but a job doesn't have to be action-packed for it to be important. none of us poolees know anything about how the Corps is going to be (no matter how much we research online, we dont know squat), so we might as well go where the Corps requests and be happy with it because all of us serve a purpose here and it's not about the individual as much as it is the about collective effort of a group of individuals to do something greater than themselves.

Alright, just to bring this thread nack to life.
    Security Forces in a nutshell... where to start.

Basic Security Guard school is in Chesapeake, VA, in the middle of butt**** nowhere. You'll do your Pistol qual there, along with your shotgun day qual and night qual. You'll learn about, but never fire, the M240B/G, Mk19 and M2 .50 cal. After your three weeks in weapons, you'll move on to PhyTac (Physical Security and Tactics) and learn classes such as terrorist operations, safeguarding classified materials, and how to stand post. Then you have you FinEx... final exercise. That's a little surprise I'll let you find out about.

common misconceptions: You don't get sprayed. You don't get tased. Both of those are during nonlethal training with either your FAST platoons, PRP Commands, or 8th&I commands.

Now, FAST Co.: The majority of SF guys will get sent there. It means they probably can't hold a TS clearance. Lots of high speed, low drag training. You'll deploy around to Cuba, spain, and other places to support embassies and such.
    PRP guys: Bangor or Kingsbay. You'll be standing post constantly. Guarding nukes. The end.

PSD/8th&I: 12 hour shifts of standing post. In blues. With parades every friday night from the 1st friday in may, to the last friday in august. Sounds boring, but the job oportunities afterwards are worth it.

I enlisted for this MOS. Cant wait.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    im going to into bootcamp monday. and i just wanna know how do you find out if your in a fast company or prp? or do i get to choose?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    what do you mean "high speed, low drag training"?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by JSam View Post
    The majority of SF guys will get sent there. It means they probably can't hold a TS clearance. Lots of high speed, low drag training.
    what do you mean high speed, low drag training?

help....

Yesterday I recieved a list of jobs that i qualify for according to my ASVAB scores but im having alot of trouble deciding between; Marine Corps Security Forces (both regular and PRP), Intelligence/Signals Intel/Grnd Elec Warfare, and Aviation Electronics Technician...... i need to now which is the best job to choose between these jobs according to people that know alot about them.

-Thank you

Some guys get a $5000 bonus for going Security Forces, but they are few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by Deryck View Post
    Yesterday I recieved a list of jobs that i qualify for according to my ASVAB scores but im having alot of trouble deciding between; Marine Corps Security Forces (both regular and PRP), Intelligence/Signals Intel/Grnd Elec Warfare, and Aviation Electronics Technician...... i need to now which is the best job to choose between these jobs according to people that know alot about them.

-Thank you
    It really just depends on what you want to do...if you decide to go with Security Forces, I would highly recommend avoiding PRP...all you're gonna do is stand a bunch of gate-guard-style post. (of course you would possibly be able to go to Close Quarters Battle school in PRP) but I would try to get with a FAST platoon if you go Security Forces. Intel fields aren't bad either if you're into that sort of thing...I don't know much about the aviation electronics tech side...if you go Security Forces or Intel, you'll be coming to Virginia for your schooling...Chesapeake, VA for Security Forces and Virginia Beach, VA for all the Intel MOS

Quote Originally Posted by dep11191 View Post
    How long are the deployments for fast?
    Nearly all the FAST platoons will deploy to Cuba for approximately 3 months. After that, you'll do a 6-7 month workup for your next deployment...1st FAST (Alpha) deploys to Rota, Spain, 2nd FAST (Bravo) deploys to Yakuska, Japan, and 3rd FAST (Charlie) deploys to El Manama, Bahrain. These deployments generally are around 7 months long. From these 3 main areas, the FAST platoons cover different sectors of the world, to which they can be deployed in the event of an incident at an embassy for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Corps CrossFit View Post
    Some guys get a $5000 bonus for going Security Forces, but they are few and far between.
    I see from your profile that you are working the rocks down on Iams range. I am wondering, does CWO Grasty still work there? I hear he is retired now and running the range as a civilian?

One more question for you -- is the Bill Rogers Range still in one of the cells downrange?

Thanks and Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    I see from your profile that you are working the rocks down on Iams range. I am wondering, does CWO Grasty still work there? I hear he is retired now and running the range as a civilian?

One more question for you -- is the Bill Rogers Range still in one of the cells downrange?

Thanks and Semper Fi.

CWO Grasty is still down there...they've changed the ranges up a bit, but I'm guessing you're referring to the shooting gallery-style range...it's still there...

Everything you need to know about Security Forces

**I was formerly under the name "Corps CrossFit"...here's some more Security Forces Info**

Okay...just to clear things up a bit...from the standpoint of someone that has been through the Marine Corps Security Forces cycle, and is now back at the school as a Combat Weapons Instructor.

If you have selected to go to Marine Corps Security Forces as part of your enlistment contract, you will most likely have a "UV" or "UW" designator on your contract. Additionally, your primary MOS will be 03XX.

You will go to Recruit Training, and upon graduation, you will most likely go on "Boot Leave" where you will have approximately 10 days of vacation time. For some of you, you will also serve "RA" which is Recruiter's Assistance (and is basically helping out your recruiter...and more vacation time).

You will go to Infantry Training Battalion (ITB) either on the west or east coast. Depending on the company you are with during ITB, you may be afforded the option to be one of the 03XX weapons MOS (0331 - Machine Gunner, 0341 - Mortarman, 0351 - Assaultman, 0352 - Anti-Tank Missileman) Some companies in ITB allow their contract Security Forces Marines to be weapons MOS, some restrict them to only being 0311 - Rifleman. It will all be up to chance for you.

Upon graduation from ITB, you will be sent to Chesapeake, Virginia to NSA Northwest Annex, where the Marine Corps Security Force Training Company is located.

When you arrive, you will most likely spend a few weeks on "standby" where you will wait to begin your training. During this time, you will spend much of your weekdays cleaning the barracks and doing various working parties around the base.

When you finally begin your training, you will have officially started the Basic Security Guard School (BSG). The first 3 weeks of BSG are spent with the Combat Weapons Instructors. During this time, you will learn, shoot and qualify on the M9 Service Pistol, M1014 Service Shotgun, and M16 Service Rifle. You will also be taught classes on the M240B Machine Gun, the M2 .50 Cal Machine Gun, and the M19 Automatic Grenade Launcher. You will practice range cards, weapon employment and do some shooting in a simulated environment (much like a video game system, but with real weapons).

After you complete the 3 weeks of training in the Combat Weapons section, you will transition to the Physical Security and Tactics Instructors (PhyTac) where you will finish out the remaining 3 weeks of training for BSG. Here, you will learn about standing post, escalation of force, rules of engagement, entry control points/vehicle control points (ECP/VCP) and all practical application of Security Forces skills.

Upon completion of the PhyTac portion of training, you will be tested through a practical evaluation called the FinEx (Final Exercise).

You will graduate the BSG school and will be sent to your respective units.

Now...about which units are available:

8th & I: These are Presidential detail units that usually end up at Camp David. If you will be going to this unit, you will know before you ever begin BSG school.

PRP (Personal Reliability Program): There are 2 bases that have PRP commands. Kings Bay, Georgia & Bangor, Washington (the state). These commands work with the Master at Arms in the Navy and guard facilities that house nuclear weapons.

Fleet Anti-Terrorism Security Team (FAST): There are 3 FAST companies.

Alpha Company is in Norfolk, Virginia. They deploy to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and Rota, Spain. They are responsible for the European areas surrounding Spain.

Bravo Company is in Yorktown, Virginia. They deploy to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and Yokosuka, Japan. They are responsible for the Pacific areas surrounding Japan.

Charlie Company is in Norfolk, Virginia. They deploy to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and El Manama, Bahrain. They are responsible for the Middle Eastern areas surrounding Bahrain.

When you first arrive at Chesapeake, Virginia for BSG school, you will be interviewed if you are not already assigned to 8th & I. During this screening, you will be asked a series of questions that will determine your eligibility for PRP or FAST. You will be given a wish list of choices, but ultimately, you don't have a say in the matter.

If you have any questions regarding anything else about Security Forces, email me. I'm still currently an instructor in the Combat Weapons Section of the BSG schoolhouse.

Thread Information