Marine Corps Security Force - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm seriously considering this MOS (or infantry) and what is really going to make or break my decision is that I have also heard that your first two years in Security Forces is wicked boring, like you basically just have firewatch for two years straight. So I guess my question would be...Is Security Forces really boring?

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Don't you think you should have done some research BEFORE you signed the bottom line. Might make sense?
    Yes, that would make sense. The thing is, when i began talking to my recruiter, I had planned to sign an MP contract, becuase that is what I did all my research on. When I signed all my paperwork I signed a Military Police contract. At the end of my MEPS visit I was informed that I couldn't do MP becuase of the age requirements there are once you complete training. I was stuck at MEPS, and the MEPS liason told me that he had a Security Forces contract that I might be interested in. I asked him to explain what it was before I signed it, the SSGT assured me that it was the same program that my friend from high school had gone through the previous year. I guess I didn't know any better becuase I wasn't fimiliar with all of the Marine Corps abbreviations.

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
    LMAO....get FAST in your contract? Either your friend's a dumb boot or he's pulling your leg.
    *Sigh* I don't know why he would be pullin' my leg about this. But no offense to a Marine, I've known him for a couple years, however he did have a tendency to overlook details like this. But I figured since he's close to being an NCO at age 19, that he knew his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Blodgett View Post
    *Sigh* I don't know why he would be pullin' my leg about this. But no offense to a Marine, I've known him for a couple years, however he did have a tendency to overlook details like this. But I figured since he's close to being an NCO at age 19, that he knew his stuff.

Yeah, because 19 year-old Cpls are just a wealth of information....

There's always exceptions (like Achped, who knows his stuff), but for the most part they're just PFC's with a bloodstripe.

Im a marine thats stationed at MCSFBn Bangor, Washington

when you go to BSG you either go to a fast platoon or kings bay, ga or bangor, wa

the last two are PRP commands

i have no idea what FAST does so i cant help you new people on that

Bangor is 4 platoons, plus a RTT platoon, you stand watch for 2 weeks, and you get days off according to the schedule, you stand watch for 6 hours.

its extremely boring
    even if your the most stellar locked on marine through boot camp, soi, bsg your still going to be standing ridiculous amounts of watch

good things about PRP

if your locked on and do your job, you'll get sent to alot of really good schools, besides the fact of all the watch you stand, TRUST ME when i say this, you will be getting alot alot of liberty, as far as my platoon goes you do, the chances for meritorious promotions here are vast too, schools are everywhere, ive been in platoon for 6 months and already gone to two schools and im about to go to DM school, pretty excited about it, but have no idea what to expect, haha.

PRP is a good place to start a family, college classes are offered to the battalion while your plt is out on duty for its 2 weeks because theres alot of downtime, 6 hours on 18 hours off..

but you cant leave..nice little catch to it haha.

if this was confusing just ask me,

i check my email alot so email if you like if you have anymore questions

tothewesttt@aol.com

Credits
    Savings
    Frenchy, a couple of questions:

1) what do you mean you can't leave during your 6 hours on, 18 hours off?? Do you sleep at the base or are you allowed back to your barracks (or house if you live off base)?

2) when you say "stand watch"...are you like standing at attention the whole time or are you walking around patrolling? I can't imagine having to stand at attention for 6 hours so I think I answered that one on my own.

3) You say you stand watch for 2 weeks...what happens after the two weeks? You get time off?

I sure hope standing watch for 2 weeks isn't like being at a firehouse...you know, 24hrs on, 48hrs off...I'd sure like to see my wife after 6 hours...

Its more like 48 hours on, 24 off. I have buddies in sec forces that do 48 hour shifts all the time.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupo22 View Post
    Frenchy, a couple of questions:

1) what do you mean you can't leave during your 6 hours on, 18 hours off?? Do you sleep at the base or are you allowed back to your barracks (or house if you live off base)?

2) when you say "stand watch"...are you like standing at attention the whole time or are you walking around patrolling? I can't imagine having to stand at attention for 6 hours so I think I answered that one on my own.

3) You say you stand watch for 2 weeks...what happens after the two weeks? You get time off?

I sure hope standing watch for 2 weeks isn't like being at a firehouse...you know, 24hrs on, 48hrs off...I'd sure like to see my wife after 6 hours...
    Any Marines have an answer to these questions? I guess this section gets overlooked

Quote Originally Posted by Lupo22 View Post
    Any Marines have an answer to these questions? I guess this section gets overlooked

You didn't get any answers because your questions are too vanilla. And each duty station or post for Security Forces does what their CO wants, or the mission dictates.

Technically giving you specific post schedules and such is a potential violation of OPSEC.

One place might do it this way... the other post might do it that way.

I was involved in doing some site visits and I have seen most of the SF posts out there, back then, they all did their own thing, no two posts were alike.

I see all kinds of questions from you and that's okay, it's the purpose of this site. But just don't expect that all the answers to your questions will be easy to answer.

Worry about becoming a Marine - that schedule is 24 - 7 - 365

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    You didn't get any answers because your questions are too vanilla. And each duty station or post for Security Forces does what their CO wants, or the mission dictates.

Technically giving you specific post schedules and such is a potential violation of OPSEC.

One place might do it this way... the other post might do it that way.

I was involved in doing some site visits and I have seen most of the SF posts out there, back then, they all did their own thing, no two posts were alike.

I see all kinds of questions from you and that's okay, it's the purpose of this site. But just don't expect that all the answers to your questions will be easy to answer.

Worry about becoming a Marine - that schedule is 24 - 7 - 365
    Gotcha Sgt. Trust me, I work everyday at becoming a Marine. Even my mentality at work when I want to stop a job or take a break, I push myself because I know thats what's going to be expected of me.

I just wanted to know what I'm getting myself into. The "glorified security job" doesn't sound appeasing but it was my way to get to the Fleet as a grunt

So just to clarify...

You stay with Security Forces for just 2 years? Can you stay longer or is that how it always is?

This is also my MOS. Nice to see a thread dedicated to it!

Is your spouse allowed to live on base with you?

update! Now station in good ole' Cuba. Protecting the fence line!

Quote Originally Posted by mbrazil View Post
    So just to clarify...

You stay with Security Forces for just 2 years? Can you stay longer or is that how it always is?
    It is only a two year tour after that they send you to the Fleet to what ever MOS you where taught in SOI but there are exception to everything. If you pick up NCO by the end of your 2 years and they need a Sq leader really bad or if your extreamly square away there is a chance you can stay.

Thread Information