Recruit dad here - Page 22
Create Post
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast
    Ben has had a session with his CO and the bottom line is that he wants to stay in and the Corps want to retain him. He was told his probable course for the future and it is what he was looking for. He has a couple more Marines reporting to him for his logistics and network duties. The portion of the squadron not deployed MEU went to Alpeena, MI for some weapons training and got some good hours. Just got a new office with a window. They got a pup, a Great Dane and it's up to 50 pounds in I think three months. I won't tell ALL I know, but will say he is building a very solid foundation for his life and taking full advantage of what the Marine Corps has made possible for him to achieve.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hope your son enjoyed Alpena. I've been there a number of times with the Michigan Air Guard (who runs the base). I'm sure there have been infrastructure improvements done since the last time I was there (1991).

as Zulu said, and I will add, Welcome to Michigan... hope they liked it here..

Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    as Zulu said, and I will add, Welcome to Michigan... hope they liked it here..
    He said the training was good, but they were confined to base, which makes for long evenings. He was hppy to get some more qualification fulfilled.

Have not posted in a while. Not a lot of news to share. But Ben has gained enough experience to be lead on some of the training. And he is also getting trained for a future deployment as a forward observer. Aftes OIC of logistics, he did a stint for IT, and currently Maintainers. Quite a challenger to keep Harriers flying. On a personal note note, he has airbb and vrbo listing. Captain's Quarters https://www.vrbo.com/2033376?unitId=2597896

Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    Have not posted in a while. Not a lot of news to share. But Ben has gained enough experience to be lead on some of the training. And he is also getting trained for a future deployment as a forward observer. Aftes OIC of logistics, he did a stint for IT, and currently Maintainers. Quite a challenger to keep Harriers flying. On a personal note note, he has airbb and vrbo listing. Captain's Quarters https://www.vrbo.com/2033376?unitId=2597896
    awesome, thanks for keeping us up to date...

Ben completed training and is now qualified as an aviation forward observer. He well be assigned to a battalion out of Lejune for his first MEU in a few months. They had to fast track hm to get this done and he rose to the challenge.

all the best to him. What's his rank now?

Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    all the best to him. What's his rank now?
    Captain.

That is outstanding...

Ben is on his first deployment as active duty...he deployed to Iraq as a Reserve. I think I mentioned that he has billet as Air Officer, which means is in on non flying status. He got underway in March. Of course OPSEC is in play, but some info is shared by the official DOD sites. He has been in Norway and in Estonia. He tells me the training opportunities are most valuable. On a personal note, I finally got my cataracts removed. With the new lenses, I will be without need for glasses for the first time since I was six years old. Amazing!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Dono,

Just had my cataracts removed too. Not 100% healed yet, but my doc thinks I'll be good for no glasses for distance, but will probably still need reading glasses. I'm not using glasses for distance already. I first started wearing glasses at age 40. I'm 69 now.

Glad your son is doing well.

Zulu - you're a babyson brother.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Russ,

Yep, I'm definitely a boot to some of you guys.

I am a little hesitant to post this, so please do remove it should it be out of bounds in any way. You Marines on this board were my lifeline when the recruit dad was reaching out for sense of what I might expect. Mission accomplished and well done. Again, my thanks.

So, Ben shared his fitness report with me...something he has never done. Won't be going into detail, save that the comparative assessment rates him as "THE EMINENTLY QUALIFIED MARINE." He is recommended for "promotion ahead of peers" I think his board is in August.

I did assure him I would keep this to myself, but I have not told him of my activity here. It's like the Marine told me when he finished with boot camp..."Welcome to the family. You will find out what that means." Y'all are part of that family.

Thread Information