Credits
    Savings

What are your most vivid memories of Korea

Mine are DMZ duty - H&S-3-11

1 Unbelievable freezing cold
    2 Rats as big as cats knawing on our tin lined radio bunker
    3 No cats or dogs at all because the starving Koreans ate them
    4 Woman and children emptying and eating out of our garbage cans
    5 A Turk unit next to us all had full beards and cut off enemy ears as a prize. They were real bad asses.
    6 Very little vegatation or trees left and Seoul a bombed out ruin
    7 Walking post on radio hill was guard duty from Hell

Cold, and so dark at night, you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.

Credits
    Savings

Most vivid memories of Korea

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler300 View Post
    Cold, and so dark at night, you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.
    How did you get to Korea? All the 1st mar div marines left in 1955 and I don't know of any other Marines there. I thought the Army were doing all
    the DMZ duty from then to now. Semper Fi

I was there for about two months in 1978 for Team Spirit.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegler300 View Post
    I was there for about two months in 1978 for Team Spirit.
    Kegler300 Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of of that. I thought we would have had Marine embassy guards only.
    Semper Fi - pi 53
    "You had an awesome 30 yr. career"

Things that I remember.

Colder than a witch's teat.
    Rats a big as Jack Rabbits.
    Seemed like every time a North Korean touched the Imjin River we went on alert.
    Red Cross going into our mess hall during an alert and bringing them out to the tank park and selling them to us.

My last night of TS 90 it was cold, wet, windy and we had no wet weather gear, just field jackets. Watching our ship pull up the next morning was a sight for sore eyes.

Post #6. I am talking about donuts the Red Cross got from the mess hall. Sorry about that.

I enjoyed the Thermo Boots (Mickey Mouse Boots) we had. Worked well as long as you kept moving, but if you stopped, your feet froze pretty quick from the sweat.

Does great' liberty' ever 3rd night count ? Shucks all You guys talked about was work and weather.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    GodBless You ole HardChargers my PaPa was a US Army lifer did that Korean War I was 2..,the1st time i remember him the next time I remember seeing him I was maybe 5 he just seemed sooo Different he passed on some years ago I miss Him Dearly Go Easy Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by mexbearlll View Post
    Does great' liberty' ever 3rd night count ? Shucks all You guys talked about was work and weather.
    Had a lot of great liberty. First stop was the Marine House for a hot shower and some hot grub, then a little shopping and then off to the bars for a few cold ones and say hello to the fine ladies of the night.

No liberty, but we did get one week R&R to Kobe, Japan in my 13 months there.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Things that I remember. Colder than a witch's teat.
    Rats a big as Jack Rabbits. Seemed like every time a North Korean touched the Imjin River we went on alert.
    My dad knew a Chosin Vet whom I'd had some conversation with when I was 15/16 years old.
    He told me about having to pvss on their weapons (IIRC...M1's) to help keep them from freezing up.
    I'd have chosen the SE Asian jungle anytime over that frigid, unforgiving wartime temperature.

You old salts are the best....Respect.
    Carry on.
    clv

Thread Information