It's been a while.
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

It's been a while.

I doubt any of you remember me from a few years ago, but I guess it's time to update all of you on the current status of myself.

I started off on this board when I was 14-15, and for 2 and a half to three years straight I was trying to figure out a way of getting into the Corps, as well as P.T.ing like crazy every other day at the gym.

Now, I am back, at good ol' age 18. I have since been permanently disqualified from joining the armed services for a few medical reasons, which are of no importance to discuss anymore.

The point is, I am okay with being disqualified. Why in the name of anything and everything in existance would I want to slip under the radar at MEPS and end up in combat with medical conditions that could risk lives of fellow Marines?

I went through a few stages: first, I was confident that I wouldn't be DQ'd. Second stage: I knew I would be DQ'd, and wanted to be a Marine so badly that I even thought about lying at MEPS. The third and final stage: Okay, maybe I could get away with lying about my medical situation, and end up with the greatest job on earth- but I quickly grew up and realized something: being selfish is not an excuse for risking lives.

That being said, I want to mention two last things:
    Thank you to all of you who have provided advice and everything in between during the last four years. I appreciate it, and although it has not resulted in me becoming a Marine, it sure has changed the way I look at and go about life, and it has gotten me many places in life already.

The last, but certainly not least, thing I want to mention, is that I am living proof, that when one of you replies to a "will I be caught?" "Should I tell the recruiter/MEPS doctor about so on and so forth?", you are all 100% right when you say it is wrong to lie about these things. I have been in the position of all of the poolees that ask about lying and if they can get away with things, and I have advanced to the next level beyond that.

Again, thank you all for everything, I do not know if I will be coming back on this site soon, or if I will be back on this forum ever again. Best wishes to all of you.

P.S.: Even though I haven't become a Marine, alot of the advice given to me on here was passed on to a close friend of mine who took my advice in joining the Corps, and it helped him out alot. He is now a Marine, and he is DAMN PROUD OF IT.

Best of luck Dave!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sorry to hear that David. Sometimes doing the right thing is the hardest thing you can do but I believe that you are a better man for doing it. Good luck and you are always welcome here.

Jim

Good luck in your future Dave,and God Bless..

It sounds like you learned something that most men learn only late in life,
    "Sometimes, the hardest thing to do is the right thing."
    Your integrity was challenged and you made a choice, a good one.
    Good Luck in this new path and you still have people here to support you in what you choose.

A very good friend of mine has a medical problem to.
    He wanted to join the corps too.
    I hope you can find a new direction in life and go for it with all your heart.

Thread Information