Parris Island Marines - Page 17
Create Post
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAHHHHHHHHHH Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bigd53 View Post
    I have found my platoon graduation book and it still looks like it did in 1973
    The book may look the same, but I bet you don't.

I know I don't. Feb '78 - June '78, Plt 3018

P.I. 3 Sept 75 - 1 Dec 75. It's my other birthday.

Credits
    Savings
    Yeah...here....so what's the deal?

Are there any newbees out there that are not signed up in our Social Group--"Parris Island Marines " ?

&nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &ampnbsp

&ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp

&ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp

&ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp

&ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp

Toxic Chemicals at Vieques: Is U.S. Accountable?

By Tim Padgett Wednesday, Sep. 16, 2009

Heaps of destroyed military hardware at a processing area of the former naval training range on Vieques Island, Puerto Rico, 2008
    Brennan Linsley / AP
    When Hermogenes Marrero was in Marine boot camp, he recalls being the only recruit who didn't panic during simulated-chemical-warfare drills. "I'd sit there calmly with my gas mask on," Marrero says, "while a lot of other guys got scared and ran away." It was 1969, and Marrero, a New Yorker born in Puerto Rico, was fresh out of high school at the age of 17. But his composure caught the eyes of Marine instructors — and the next year, he says, he was at Camp Garcia on the Puerto Rican island of Vieques, helping guard for 18 months chemical agents being tested by the U.S. Navy.
    Today Marrero, at 57, believes he was too poised around those hazardous materials for his own good. In an affidavit filed last month in the U.S. District Court in Puerto Rico, where Marrero now lives, he says he is legally blind, uses a wheelchair, has battled colon cancer and chronic pulmonary illnesses, and was recently diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease, among other ailments. "I've been sick in some form or another since I was 25," says Marrero. He was stationed on Vieques, he adds, "for too long."
    Most Vieques residents — who, as Puerto Ricans, are all U.S. citizens — would agree with Marrero. In 2007, more than 7,000 of them filed a federal suit, Sanchez v. United States, claiming that in the nearly 60 years after World War II that the Navy used a portion of the island as a firing range and weapons-testing ground it negligently exposed Vieques' population of 10,000 to dangerous levels of toxins. The community, according to several independent medical studies, has a cancer rate 30 times higher than that of Puerto Rico's main island to the west. The U.S. Justice Department has filed a motion to dismiss the suit, which collectively seeks health and property damages in the billions of dollars, claiming the Federal Government's sovereign immunity. A federal judge in San Juan, Puerto Rico's capital, is expected to make a ruling this fall. (See TIME's MAGZ 16,SEPT 2009
    One thing the judge is waiting for is a deposition from Marrero, which the former Marine sergeant is scheduled to give next week (though Marrero is not actually party to the suit). Lawyers for the Vieques plaintiffs say his testimony lends credence to their assertions about the long-term effects of living on the 55-sq.-mi. (88 sq km) island during the last half of the 20th century — and about the federal health and environmental laws they allege the Navy violated. "His coming forward offers proof," says John Eaves Jr., a Mississippi lawyer representing the Vieques residents. "These are things the Navy has to answer for." The Pentagon refers questions about the suit to lawyers at the U.S. Justice Department, who are handling the case for the Defense Department. They say they can't comment on pending litigation. But in their dismissal motion, they cite similar Vieques cases earlier this decade in which judges upheld the claims of sovereign immunity.
    Marrero says his job at Camp Garcia from 1970 to 1972 often entailed helping Navy officers test hazardous airborne chemicals on animals like goats. Many of the canisters he handled, he says, were labeled "112" for Project 112, a top-secret Cold War U.S. military program conducted between 1962 and 1973 that involved experiments with chemical and biological weapons. Project 112's records were finally declassified at the start of this decade, but the Pentagon as yet does not acknowledge a link between the chemical tests and the spate of illnesses suffered since then by servicemen like Marrero, who is still fighting to get his veteran's medical benefits. "I'd always ask how safe that stuff was and those Navy chemical guys always told me, 'It's safe, you'll be O.K., kid,' " Marrero says. "But I wasn't, and I'm not."
    The Navy's half-century on Vieques was a controversial chapter in U.S. military history. Protests erupted after a stray bomb fired during a Navy training exercise killed a local security guard in 1999; a few years later, the Navy closed Camp Garcia and left for good in 2003. By then it was already conceding things it had long denied — such as its use of toxic materials like Agent Orange and depleted uranium. It also admitted that on at least one occasion, during a chemical-warfare drill in 1969 for a project called SHAD — for Shipboard Hazard & Defense, which was part of Project 112 — it had sprayed trioctyl phosphate, a chemical compound known to cause cancer in animals, as a simulant for nerve agents. When the Navy left, the island was declared a federal Superfund site for environmental cleanup. The Navy has cleared thousands of undetonated bombs and turned its area of the island into a fish and wildlife refuge.
    Still, the federal Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry (ATSDR) said in 2003 it found no negative effect on health from the Navy's decades on Vieques. Much of the scientific community howled at that verdict, given that independent studies of hair, vegetation and other local specimens indicate island residents have been exposed to excessive levels of lead, mercury, cadmium and aluminum. "The [ATSDR] conclusion seemed borderline criminal," says former Vieques mayor Radames Tirado, a plaintiff in the Sanchez suit who says at least 13 of his relatives there today have cancer. Says Arturo Massol, a biologist at the University of Puerto Rico in Mayaguez, "We've also found that since the Navy left, those contaminants have decreased eightfold. That's no coincidence."
    As a result, Congress this summer sent the ATSDR back to Vieques to begin a review of its earlier findings. "If there is anything more we can do, it will be done," ATSDR director Howard Frumkin pledged on a visit to the island last month. The Navy itself had already realized it had more to do, setting aside an additional $200 million last year for seven more years of Vieques cleanup. Still, Viequenses complain the Navy is exacerbating the problem by detonating left-over bombs; the Navy insists it is the only safe way to dispose of them.
    Marrero, meanwhile, says he spends much of his time today volunteering to help Iraq war veterans apply for their own benefits. "One of my jobs at Camp Garcia was to gauge the wind direction during those tests," he says. "If the wind ever shifted toward the population, I'd shout, 'Cease fire!' "
    To US Marine Veterans with service from 1962-1975
    PROJECT 112 A COLD-WAR TOP SECRET EXPERIMENT WITH CHEMICAL AND BIOLOGICAL WEAPON'S. I'AM LOOKING FOR MARINE VETERANS WHO MAY HAVE BEEN EXPOSE WHILE ON TRINING AT CAMP GARCIA, VIEQUES ISLAND PUERTO RICO. I RESPECTFULLY REQUEST THAT YOU REPORT AS ORDERED

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlHolmes165 View Post
    Click on "MY INFO" towards the top of the page, the next window will open up and you will see a list on the left hand side of the screen scroll down to "Networking" and click on "Social Groups" and it will show you which groups you can join, that is where you will find it.
    Yep,we're doing it again....
    Above are the instructions for getting to our Social Group "Parris Island Marines".
    If you were there as a recruit,permanent personal,TAD,male female,officer or enlisted,you can join....NO POOLEES PLEASE...
    Now's the time to sisn up,avoid the rush....
    SEMPER FI ALL.....

To serve, not to be served.

MCRD PI...the place to be! 4th Btn, "O" Co. Plt 4039

Buenos dias Senorita !

Quote Originally Posted by ecfree View Post
    Above are the instructions for getting to our Social Group "Parris Island Marines".
    If you were there as a recruit,permanent personal,TAD,male female,officer or enlisted,you can join....NO POOLEES PLEASE...
    Now's the time to sign up,avoid the rush....
    SEMPER FI ALL.....
    bump.....................

Quote Originally Posted by ecfree View Post
    Now's the time to sisn up,avoid the rush....
    SEMPER FI ALL.....
    Whew.....just beat the rush....I'm there man!

Was in before the latest bump, just waiting for permission to come aboard.

All right I'm standing on the yellow foot prints waiting to pass through the portal. Let me in..........

fmwright,click on "my info",on the left---scroll down 'till you see Social Groups,click on----Then scroll down to "PARRIS ISLAND MARINES"......You're home....
    SEMPER FI..............Ed...........

Thread Information