365 Days Ago...
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 365 Days Ago...

365 Days Ago...

Well not exactly quite one year, well maybe a bit more with the leap year haha. Im in Iraq right now and its about 2340, 2008MAY15, one year to the day, I fell in on the yellow foot prints, and my life took a mad turn. Yep, 1 year ago today I found myself no longer loving life as a civilian, but hating it as a recruit. This has by far been the craziest year of my life. With only one year in, I've graduated MCRD and SOI (easy and easy) and am already more than half way through, only about 2 months left in my first infantry combat deployment of my career. Its been a long and fast year, especially for just being a 92 Day Reservist (mind you I was accepted into OCS and would have been going there in the next week haha but screw it).
    If you have any questions for an 0311 here just shoot them at me, especially you poolees, ill try and help you out.

Some Tips:
    BOOT CAMP
    Its easy. It's long and sometimes stressful, get over it. Its only 13 weeks.
    SOI - ITB
    Its easy and kind of fun if you have the right attitude. Its only 8 weeks, and you get weekends off.
    IRAQ
    It sucks. Get over it. Its 7 months, longer then SOI and BOOT CAMP put together.

But seriously, ask me any questions.
    Id go 03XX again over anything else. There are many reasons why too, I'd never go anything but 03XX.

Remember, just hang in there.

First, thank you very much for your service and for starting this thread. Just tonight it really hit me (again) that this is real. Today was my last day at my job and it feels like the end of being a civilian is pretty much here.

Many of you may see this question as being naive, but I'm sure many of you asked the same thing yourselves...
    What is the fastest way to get deployed into either Iraq or Afganistan. I realize that once I get there, I will probably hate it and want to come home. But, I could have a very hard time being in the Marine Corps and not getting to go when people in my unit had been 2 or 3 or 4 times.
    (BTW I'm going 03 and ship on 20080602)

Quote Originally Posted by fs19
    First, thank you very much for your service and for starting this thread. Just tonight it really hit me (again) that this is real. Today was my last day at my job and it feels like the end of being a civilian is pretty much here.

Many of you may see this question as being naive, but I'm sure many of you asked the same thing yourselves...
    What is the fastest way to get deployed into either Iraq or Afganistan. I realize that once I get there, I will probably hate it and want to come home. But, I could have a very hard time being in the Marine Corps and not getting to go when people in my unit had been 2 or 3 or 4 times.
    (BTW I'm going 03 and ship on 20080602)
    I don't think your unit would ship without you especially if your a 03..

-Poolee Brown

I realize that, but can you request to go to a unit that is being deployed soon?

You could, but they wouldnt want you. They dont want a boot straight out of SOI...they wouldnt know you and you wouldnt have enough time to be fully trained. Usually you join a battalion and spend months training to prepare for deployment...you cant just deploy right away when you dont know anyone and they wouldnt have enough time to train or get to know you. Of course, im sure it depends on the situation, but these are just things I have heard.

Obviously I'm not trying to walk out of SOI into the ME. I'm just wondering what can be done to get over there sooner, rather than later. I have seen some Marines that are deployed within a year of graduating from Boot Camp, and others that don't deploy for a while after that. I would just like to know if there is anything that I can do to go sooner, rather than later.

you have not even finished boot and your talking about iraq

worry about Becoming a Marine before you worry about what you can do to get in the ****.......and as far as how long it takes there has been a time where they actually took Marines still going through ITB and sent them straight in country before they even graduated ITB but it was in a ime of need and as of now it will depend if your reserves or active and when yoru unit will be scheduled to deploy and you will also have a workup before you actually deploy as well...so to be trained even more...but no need for you to jump steps just focus on yoru first obstacle and jsut focus on obtaining the title of United States Marine

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hawks
    Well not exactly quite one year, well maybe a bit more with the leap year haha. Im in Iraq right now and its about 2340, 2008MAY15, one year to the day, I fell in on the yellow foot prints, and my life took a mad turn. Yep, 1 year ago today I found myself no longer loving life as a civilian, but hating it as a recruit. This has by far been the craziest year of my life. With only one year in, I've graduated MCRD and SOI (easy and easy) and am already more than half way through, only about 2 months left in my first infantry combat deployment of my career. Its been a long and fast year, especially for just being a 92 Day Reservist (mind you I was accepted into OCS and would have been going there in the next week haha but screw it).
    If you have any questions for an 0311 here just shoot them at me, especially you poolees, ill try and help you out.

Some Tips:
    BOOT CAMP
    SOI - ITB
    Its easy and kind of fun if you have the right attitude. Its only 8 weeks, and you get weekends off.
    IRAQ
    It sucks. Get over it. Its 7 months, longer then SOI and BOOT CAMP put together.

Id go 03XX again over anything else. There are many reasons why too, I'd never go anything but 03XX.

Remember, just hang in there.
    Man how my pups have grown in a year! I am proud of you Hawks, thank you for your service to our country!

Semper Fi,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by immaproshooter
    worry about Becoming a Marine before you worry about what you can do to get in the ****.......and as far as how long it takes there has been a time where they actually took Marines still going through ITB and sent them straight in country before they even graduated ITB but it was in a ime of need and as of now it will depend if your reserves or active and when yoru unit will be scheduled to deploy and you will also have a workup before you actually deploy as well...so to be trained even more...but no need for you to jump steps just focus on yoru first obstacle and jsut focus on obtaining the title of United States Marine
    Aye Aye LCpl. You're right, I guess I am just pretty eager but I will focus on earning the Title first.

Some Tips:
    BOOT CAMP
    SOI - ITB
    IRAQ

Remember, just hang in there.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by immaproshooter
    when was this? vietnam and ww2?

lol no there was a group they took when we first went into Afghanistan..theres also been some Marines who just graduate from ITB and get sent straight into the end of a build up before they got deployed and caught like the last 2 or 3 weeks of the Build up

I've heard of the same thing happening. Kinda sucks for them and then it doesn't.

In my position I get a full work-up and learn all the fleet training, but I'm still that Boot for 9 more months.

To echo that, my friends got out of ITB, checked into Lejeune to 3/6, but 4 days later went to CAX, and got deployed within 3 months of being out of SOI. However, the day I arrived at 3/8 was the day my Marines were getting back from deployment actually, so we must wait to go to Iraq until mid-October at the earliest. It all depends on the luck of the draw and the Marine Corps needs

Thread Information