Great Jane Fonda Story.. - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    FONDA: 'I'VE BEEN FORGIVEN'

Sixties screen siren JANE FONDA insists she has won over Vietnam war veterans, despite being spat at by a former soldier at a recent signing for her memoirs.

The BARBARELLA actress incensed those who fought in the conflict after making a number of anti-American speeches and appearing in photographs sitting on a Vietnamese tank during a trip to Hanoi in 1972.

Many are still angry with Fonda - veteran MICHAEL SMITH, 54, queued for 90 minutes to spit into her face at a signing of MY LIFE SO FAR in Kansas City, Missouri, last month.

But the star insists others have found it in their hearts to forgive her.

She says, "There are still so many for who, I'm a lightning rod. But what makes me feel good is when I get letters from Vietnam veterans, which I do all the time.

"They say: 'I hated you, but I've come to realise you were right and want to ask forgiveness.'"

10/05/2005 14:07

My opinion:
    She's delusional.

Unbeliveable, she still doesn't get it.

Liberals have an amazing ability to forgive themselves for any transgression.

Ellie

She needs a drug test because she is obviously smoking something!
    She was right, they were wrong....yeah,
    WHATEVER!

Sent to me By Mark aka The Fontman

Fonda flick doesn't fly in Hardin County
    By JOHN FRIEDLEIN
    The News Enterprise
    May 17, 2005

The owner of Hardin County's two movie theaters is refusing to show the nation's top-grossing movie.

Like many veterans, Ike Boutwell has an issue with "Monster-in-Law" star Jane Fonda. On the ticket window at the Elizabethtown Movie Palace is a sign that tells movie goers the cinema will not show the film because of what she did in Vietnam. Below the message are pictures of Fonda clapping with a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft crew in 1972.

The sign on the marquee outside Showtime Cinemas in Radcliff reads: "No Jane Fonda movie in this theater."

More than 30 years after the war's end, Boutwell still bears a grudge.

"I trained a lot of pilots during the Vietnam conflict," he said.

Some of his students died from rounds fired from guns like the one Fonda visited during her anti-war trip.

"I think when people do something, they need to be held responsible for their actions," he said. "When you give the enemy aid, it makes the war last longer."

He also refused to show Michael Moore's controversial "Fahrenheit 9/11" and has banned Fonda movies from his theater in the past. Fonda's last movie was 1990's "Stanley & Iris.

Boutwell's stance against her latest movie means he's taking a financial hit. "Monster-in-Law" was last weekend's top-grossing movie, bringing in more than $23 million at 3,424 locations nationwide, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. and Nielsen EDI Inc.

The film is a romantic comedy about a mom who tries to wreck her son's relationship.

Amy Haire, who works the ticket booth of the Elizabethtown theater, has received mixed reaction to Boutwell's decision.

"A lot of the older gentlemen thought it was great," she said.

She got bad looks, though, from some girls and young women who wanted to see the film. She would point to the pictures and tell them it's the owner's discretion not to show it.

Joe Kinney, of Radcliff, said the theater should show the movie and let customers make up their minds about whether to see it. However, he said he isn't a fan of Fonda for political reasons.

Despite a few negative comments, Boutwell received mostly positive feedback.

One Elizabethtown man made a special trip to the theater Monday to thank him.

"I think Vietnam veterans appreciate this," said Sal Mancuso, who fought in the Mekong Delta during the Vietnam war. He thinks Fonda should be in prison for treason.

Asked about her belated apology for posing in the anti-aircraft pictures, Mancuso laughed. "There is no defense for what she did," he said.

Spc. Mike Carwile, who is with a National Guard medical detachment, said he wasn't even a twinkle in his father's eye when Fonda visited Vietnam.

The 22-year-old learned about her Vietnam War-era activities when he saw the notice outside the theater Monday. He supported Boutwell's decision.

"I think everyone's responsible for what they do," he said.

John Friedlein can be reached at 769-1200, Ext. 237, or e-mail him at jfriedlein@thenewsenterprise.com.

Ellie

Theater bans Fonda movie

From combined dispatches
    The owner of two Kentucky theaters is refusing to show the new Jane Fonda film "Monster-in-Law" because of the actress's pro-communist stand during the Vietnam War.
    Photos of a smiling Miss Fonda posing with a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft crew in 1972 were displayed outside an Elizabethtown movie theater to show the disapproval of theater owner Ike Boutwell. The marquee outside Mr. Boutwell's Showtime Cinemas in nearby Radcliff reads: "No Jane Fonda movie in this theater."
    Both theaters are just a few miles from the Army post of Fort Knox.
    "I trained a lot of pilots during the Vietnam conflict," Mr. Boutwell told the Hardin County News-Enterprise, adding that some of those pilots died when their planes were shot down by North Vietnamese gunners.
    "To me, Ms. Fonda is a traitor," he explained in a local television interview. "I could not get the picture out of my mind of her cheering the gun crew that had just shot down an American B-52."
    Miss Fonda said recently that she regretted being photographed on the anti-aircraft gun, but has never apologized for supporting Hanoi in the war and making propaganda broadcasts on North Vietnamese radio.
    Mr. Boutwell's stance means he's taking a financial hit. "Monster-in-Law" was the top-grossing movie last weekend, bringing in more than $23 million nationwide. In the film, Miss Fonda plays a villainous prospective mother-in-law trying to stop Jennifer Lopez from marrying her son.
    Sal Mancuso, an Elizabethtown resident who said he fought in the Mekong Delta, personally thanked Mr. Boutwell for not showing the film starring the actress whom many Vietnam veterans disdain as "Hanoi Jane."
    "There is no defense for what she did," Mr. Mancuso said.
    Mr. Boutwell also banned previous Fonda films, as well as Michael Moore's 2004 anti-war film, "Fahrenheit 9/11."

Ellie

I think she needs hug...couple of you big guys grab her around the throat and sqeeze gently-stop in about an hour!

Nation takes note of Fonda boycott
    By KELLY RICHARDSON and JOHN FRIEDLEIN

A Hardin County theater owner's decision not to show "Monster-in-Law" has become a monster of a story.

Ike Boutwell, who owns the county's only two movie theaters, has refused to show last weekend's top-grossing movie starring Jane Fonda because of her activities during the Vietnam War.

His decision has caused a stir, and not just among local movie fans.

Boutwell's story has been picked up by newspapers nationwide, including The Seattle Times, San Francisco Chronicle, New York Post and Roanoke Times. Boutwell has been approached to appear on several television shows and 10 to 15 radio shows.

"I really didn't think it would go out of Hardin County," said Boutwell, who owns the Movie Palace in Elizabethtown and Showtime Cinemas in Radcliff.

The media weren't the only ones trying to reach Boutwell. People have been calling at all hours to comment on his actions, he said.

"I hardly slept last night. My phone rang all night long," he said.

Boutwell said all of the calls and the many e-mails he has received have been positive.

The story seems to be flying via e-mail to Vietnam vets such as William Drew of Cordova, Tenn. He said it happens anytime that Jane Fonda makes headlines.

Drew said kids grow up thinking she's wonderful and worship of her hurts his feelings.

"She's a traitor to our country," he said.

Despite all the positive feedback, Boutwell said a couple of people who went to buy tickets for the movie were disappointed the theater wasn't showing it.

"I reckon those who think negative don't think negative enough to call," he said.

The number of calls impressed him because his office number isn't listed. He said people must have gone to a lot of trouble to get in touch with him.

Marnie Mowles of Marion, Mont., called the Elizabethtown-Hardin County Chamber of Commerce to get Boutwell's number. Her husband, Rick, who is a disabled Vietnam veteran, read about Boutwell's decision on the Roanoke Times' Web site.

Marnie Mowles said she has called their local theaters to ask them not to show the movie. They have not returned her calls.

Rick Mowles said it was time that someone stood up to what Fonda had done. He said if more people did things like this, actions like Fonda's wouldn't occur.

"When I see somebody stand up like that, I admire their courage," he said.

Rick Mowles said people who disapprove of Boutwell's actions probably aren't aware of Fonda's activities during the Vietnam War.

"They need to keep putting this story in the public so they don't forget what she did," he said.

Last week, Boutwell posted pictures of Fonda with a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft crew. Fonda visited America's enemy during the war to protest the country's involvement.

Bill Wilson of Austin, Texas, also had been trying to contact Boutwell to applaud his decision.

"I'm all for it," he said.

Wilson, a Vietnam veteran, said many people will never forgive or forget what Fonda did during the war.

"I'm not a big supporter of that woman at all," he said.

Despite all of the attention, Boutwell said he didn't do it for publicity.

"I owe it to myself and I owe it to my dead students not to show a movie that stars a traitor," he said. Boutwell trained pilots during the war.

Nonetheless, Boutwell said he is kind of glad it has gotten the publicity it has. It gives the people who dislike Fonda a way of speaking out about it.

Boutwell said he's not worried about losing busi-ness because the response has been so positive.

Not everyone, however, agrees with him.

Rodney England of Radcliff said the theater owner is singling out Fonda in a crowd of Hollywood-types who do drugs and cheat on their spouses. "It's kind of like forcing his opinion on us because he doesn't like Jane Fonda," he said.

England, who retired from the military, said he doesn't agree with Fonda's actions. But he said people make mistakes. "That was 30 years ago. She was a kid," he said.

England said he knows Boutwell has the right not to show the movie, but it means England's family can't see it anywhere in Hardin County. "It's kind of a hassle," he said. "A lot of people can't afford to go other places."

His wife, Amy, planned to watch "Monster-In-Law" with a friend, but she couldn't find a listing for it when she checked online movie times. "I was shocked," she said.

She doesn't think what Boutwell did is fair because he owns both of the county's theaters. "I understand he has an opinion, but we also have a right to see the movie," she said.

Kelly Richardson can be reached at 769-1200, Ext. 230, or email her at krichardson@thenewsenterprise. com. John Friedlein can be reached at 769-1200, Ext. 237, or e-mail him at jfriedlein@thenews enterprise.com.

Ellie

From The Wall Street Journal, May 13, 2005.

Film review by Joe Morgenstern;

" At one point in "Monster-In-Law", Jennifer Lopez's lips swell up grotesquely, like a pair of sausages. That's because her character is allergic to nuts, but the movie itself is grotesque, and may drive you nuts as it makes you laugh, mostly at the stupidity of the thing."

end of quote.

Pass around the urinal stickers, it's time for intermission.

Credits
    Savings
    I WOULD HATE TO THINK THAT THIS MOVIE WOULD BE SHOWN ON BASE THEATRE'S,WHETHER IT BE ON A MARINE CORPS BASE,OR ON ANY OTHER UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT FACILITY.IT WOULD CERTAINLY BE A SLAP IN THE FACE TO MY HEROES OF THE WAR IN VIET-NAM!!
    +++
    SEMPER FI ALL
    +++
    WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

I'd be interested in knowing the same thing paquick! I wonder if there is a way that we could find out if they are showing this flick at any Marine bases? I would sure write a letter to that base commander! I can't believe a Marine General would allow it to be shown (since most Generals should be close to Viet Nam era age).

Camp Lejeune, Camp Pendleton and Quantico bases are not showing the movie. You can check the movie listings of a base by going to www.mccsbasename.com i.e. www.mccscamplejeune.com and clicking on movie listings. At least the Marine Corps is boycotting the b!tch. Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    THANKS FOR THE INTELL GRUNT,DEFINATELY APPRECIATE IT!
    +++
    I COPY THAT TOBY,IF I HEAR OF ANY BASES SHOWING IT,I'LL DARN SURE DROP EM A LETTER!
    +++
    SEMPER FI ALL

Unfortunately there is no way they would print what I really want to say about her. It starts with an F and involves a worthless female dog .

First day registered here , don't want to sound too radical.

Hey Grunt , you planning on ROLLING THUNDER ?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing View Post
    Does anyone else find it ironic that "Puff The Magic Dragon" is a moniker for the AC-130 Gunship?

An Anomalous Pentagon Bargain at only $130 million each!
    Saved my colo that plane did .

I was going to be a liberal for Halloween, but had to find something else. You see , I couldn't get my head up my Az.

Thread Information