Baby, Boot Camp, Marriage, MOS School
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Baby, Boot Camp, Marriage, MOS School

I am looking to take up my fatherly responsibilities and begin caring for my child to the best of my ability. And that requires knowledge...specifically, A LOT of it.

Now some information on me before I ask my questions, I am...

Having a baby.(2 months pregnant)
    Have the support of my parents(THANK GOD)
    Will be having a DNA Test done.
    Have a USMC Reserve Contract 1371 for 07072008, Combat Engineer that I LEGITIMATELY SIGNED before I even THOUGHT my girlfriend was/is pregnant.
    This contract has no dependents as of todays date, 03-06-2008.

Extra info, my baby will be born sometime between Parris Island Graduation and the end of my 10 days leave(+- Recruiters Assistance) after Training. This is NOT doctor confirmed yet, however when I can get a date, I will be. So I understand I will NOT have dependent pay/benefits while at PI...however after my baby is born, I will be sent to Lejeune for training and during that time would I recieve Base Pay at a rate as of a Marine with a dependent? (NOTE: I AM NOT REFUSING MY PARENTAGE RIGHTS, BUT I AM ALSO NOT GETTING MARRIED UNTIL I HAVE FINISHED TRAINING AND HAVE BEEN BACK FOR A GOOD 6ish MONTHS)

Sorry, that was a bit long-winded but yea had to be said that way for you to understand I suppose. Now some other questions I have are,

When/what point in the pregnancy can I have a DNA Test done? and how far along will she have to be before I can get a date? Sorry, I'm a guy, I don't know ANYTHING about pregnancy lmao.

Another question is, do I need to inform MEPS of this, as I said it will not be born during boot camp and I have informed my recruiter and he said I wouldn't have too BUT I WANT TO KNOW FROM ANOTHER SOURCE, if I'm wrong it could cost me more then could be imagined...

I understand that you can be released from Boot for small time via emergencies and that you should be contacted via the Red Cross, would this qualify? Like say she goes into labor early or something. I understand this is probably completely up to the SDI, and the other DI's and probably wouldn't happen, so understanding that I have talked over the possibility of me missing it's birth with my girlfriend and did not even mention the fact I could be realeased and she still wants me to go.

As a reservist will I recieve healthcare for me/my child? It is my current understanding that SR-TRICARE(Excuse me if thats the wrong designation) is only for combat veteran reservists...but will I qualify for some other type and will I qualify for temporary TRICARE while undergoing IABCT duty? And will my child once born, also qualify?

I'm sorry for all these questions its just that my recruiter isn't being extremely helpful, understandable giving these complicated issues and as I said, I just really want to know all this so I can do what is best for my child-to-be.

If anyone knows anything else on this matter, please speak up aswell...your advice would be wonderful.

A Sleepless Marine-Wannabe, Dad-To-Be.

To tell you the truth you won't make enough money to support a family and from what I hear it is hard to get on base housing. I'm sure more Marines well respond,Good Luck.

OK here we go, you will get BAH and BAS after your finish training as long as you are married or have a minor dependant (child). When I left Jacksonville NC in June 07 there was a 6 month wait list to get into base housing so you would be living off base for at least a period of time if not the whole time. If your girlfriend/wife doesn't work you will not be able to afford living in the world with the big boys and girls. I know this because my husband and I were both in the Corps and it was hard for us from time to time but we managed. Hope that helps a little bit.

Once discharged from your MOS training, you will not receive any benefits when you are not on duty. You will only be on duty 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year. Your ADT (two weeks duty) will be the only time you're actually on Active Duty and will receive any dependent benefits.

You will not have health care for you or your dependents at any other time during the year. However, if you get injured WHILE you're on duty, you will be taken care of. You better seriously think about what you're going to do after you get out of MOS school. You will need to find a good paying job if you're going to take care of your family yourself.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Should make enough money to buy a box of prophylatics....hence forth renamed a SOCK.....If you put a SOCK on it you wouldn't be asking these questions or be in this predicament.

It is good your motivated to man up to your responsibilities! But in the future if you want to rock wear a SOCK!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rvillac2
    Once discharged from your MOS training, you will not receive any benefits when you are not on duty. You will only be on duty 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year. Your ADT (two weeks duty) will be the only time you're actually on Active Duty and will receive any dependent benefits.

You will not have health care for you or your dependents at any other time during the year. However, if you get injured WHILE you're on duty, you will be taken care of. You better seriously think about what you're going to do after you get out of MOS school. You will need to find a good paying job if you're going to take care of your family yourself.
    As the learned Sgt said your dependant will onl tbe covered while you are on active duty for training, then those two weeks a year, some benefits are afforded to you and your family. As I have not studied your profile, I don't knwo if you are gainfully employed now, if not, then you need to look at finding a job that pays well and provides benefits for your family, ie, insurance and such. If you are planning to marry this girl, the mother, why wait for 6 months? If the Baby is born during your active duty time she and the Baby ill be covered by insurance that will help with the hospital/doctor bills for the birth. Child births are not always simple, ya know!

As far as being able to come home during the delivery........good luck, unless there is an emergency and the doc feels it is nessessary for you to be there. Of course when you go back, you probably won't be in the same platoon and will have to be recycled. Our Recruits are requiredto have 70 training days.

I think it admirable that you want to take care of your family, but have you considered the chance of going Active duty, I mean if you arent gainfully employed with benefits, that may well be an option.

Just my 2 cents,

Dave

Unless your g/f is dying while in recruit training (unlikely), then if she has the baby while you are there, she has the baby while you are there. In other words, don't plan for emergency leave while there.

Second, find a job NOW and keep it. Or go on active duty and deal with things that way (the subject of another posting for sure).

You won't get medical bennies once you are off active duty, like has been said before; however, being a reservist, you *may* qualify for the new reserve medical benefits plan. Your recruiter can give you more info on that.

Good luck. It's a hard row to hoe.

You can also get a DNA test at ANY Dr.'s office done. I'd be doing that first and in a hurry if there's any question as to whether you are the father or not! Because if not, all this advice and information is just academic. Its good that you're taking responsibility but if the baby isn't yours it's also not your responsibility, understand? Get that DNA test done as soon as possible and when yu're in bootcamp, you're there til you graduate or die trying!! The only way to get out of bootcamp is to get through it!! So, plan on that!

Quote Originally Posted by CPL Nelly
    If your girlfriend/wife doesn't work you will not be able to afford living in the world with the big boys and girls. I know this because my husband and I were both in the Corps and it was hard for us from time to time but we managed. Hope that helps a little bit.
    I never understood why Marines say this. I'm a LCpl in the Marine Corps, less than 2 years in, living on base (if you want to call this place a base), unemployed wife, well taken care of 5 year old son, house full of nice furniture, fridge full of food, 2006 GTO with a full tank of gas, 2000 POS Grand Am (winter car) with a full tank of gas, money in the bank.

Where's the struggle I hear so much about? I think it comes down to knowing how to manage your money. I turned 25 the day after I left P.I. so I'm guessing I have more common sense with my funds than the average Marine that complains about finances because the only struggle I have is explaining to my wife why I'm about to drop more money into my engine/suspension/other toys she considers dumb!

OP, if you don't blow all your money on liquor, clubs, and thousand dollar shoes, you'll be fine while on active duty. I don't know **** about Reserve pay though, so I won't comment.

In many ways, I agree with you here. That's why "Personal Finance" was a required MCI back in the day and likely still is.

I love your second to last line, it says it all.

In 1983 our company XO every friday would hold a class for an hour on finance in the Marine Corps. How to manage as well as to charities and tax fileing. It was part of our training and was recorded on our training record. Alot of guy's didn't listen but the education was there and it was up to date.

I also want to comend you on your Marriage plans. They are smart. Always test the water before you drink! In otherwords always when making any Major decision first take a good look around at how others have done it. It saves on the mind, pocket book and friends. Good Luck To You and your career in the Corps.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Shakes head and sighs loudly .... why would there be a need for a DNA test? Buy you books and send you to school and look what we ended up with.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker
    Shakes head and sighs loudly .... why would there be a need for a DNA test? Buy you books and send you to school and look what we ended up with.
    also -

Quote Originally Posted by CadetMSgtScream
    Having a baby.(2 months pregnant)
    Have the support of my parents(THANK GOD)
    Will be having a DNA Test done.
    I guess I see a BIG problem here.

Do you think the Baby is NOT yours?

If it is, your G/F is gonna be highly upset with your distrust.

If it is not .... Jeez, I'm at a loss here.

Methinks you are gonna lose either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper
    But in the future if you want to rock wear a SOCK!
    Truer words never spoken!

I think he is lost he hasn't responded yet,lol.

Thread Information