Sound Off!!! - Page 10
Create Post
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Sound Off!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drafter View Post
    I was on the Tarawa in 83 then again in 85. I believe the Op was Valiant Blitz both times.
    I was on that Tarawa with an Engineer detachment for the 1 in 83 and I was on both the Juneau and the Tarawa in 81 for Valiant Blitz. Was also on the USS Fort Fisher LSD-40 I also served on the USS Coronado LPD 11

I also served ships company on the USS Peleliu LHA 5 in late 84
    northern Pacific Ocean to participate in an exercise off amchitka Island in the Aleutian Islands. That was colder than he**!

Been on a few few others for short exercises off Coronado too.

LST, USS Harlan County Dec. '73 to gitmo and back in June '74 don't remember what ship it was on the way back and I think it was 4 days each way.

Don't remember how long I was on the boat, but it was the USS Ogden, LPD 5. She took us from Okinawa over to Korea for Team Spirit 87. We were in the barthing area that had the hook that would be used to load things, well we also had a bunch of ROK Marines on board with us & they kept walking into the hook, so we padded it up with a matress pad & the thing became a punching bag for everyone that walked by it. As for the ROK Marines...they would run PT on deck with no shirts in very cold weather, but wouldn't walk to the damn head....they would just **** & **** in ziplock baggies & throw them under their racks.....WTF?

Rok

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoeJarhead View Post
    Don't remember how long I was on the boat, but it was the USS Ogden, LPD 5. She took us from Okinawa over to Korea for Team Spirit 87. We were in the barthing area that had the hook that would be used to load things, well we also had a bunch of ROK Marines on board with us & they kept walking into the hook, so we padded it up with a matress pad & the thing became a punching bag for everyone that walked by it. As for the ROK Marines...they would run PT on deck with no shirts in very cold weather, but wouldn't walk to the damn head....they would just **** & **** in ziplock baggies & throw them under their racks.....WTF?
    Did you ever see them fertilize their rice paddies, or watch them prepare Kim Che? What they were doing was, saving the good stuff, for their gardens, back home! Get with the program, Marine! S/F! Ken

Customs

I thoughyt i'd better clear the air, concerning those Korean Marines. I was not beinjg derogitory about their customs. Different strokes, my friends. The Korean Marine Corps, was invented by the First Marine Division, (USMC) Before the Korean war (Conflict?) got hot. First, they were mostly little guys. It tooki two of them on a scale, to match the weight of one average Jarhead. Where we carried Light 30cal Johnsons, and 61mm mortars on patrols, they carried 50cal MGs, and 81mm mortars, up and down those mountains. They were as proud to be Marines, as any one of us have ever been. Also, they never backed away from a fight. They dug thyeir holes, and died in them, like Marines. I will never disrespect them. Sempre Fi! Ken

I know that you never run PT anywhere near a Marine that ate Kim Che the night before.... :-)

Kim Chi

I know that you never run PT anywhere near a Marine that ate Kim Che the night before.... :-)
    Easy Co. had a dog they'd found, and startede feeding. They kept him as a mascot. An ROK Army unit, moving through our position, to set up on our right flank, stole the dog. They turned him into stew. The Battalion CO. Col. Martin, had to talk Easy Co. out of massacreing The ROKs.. So how's yous day been so far Joe? S/F! Ken

Day is going well, thanks Ken. Your's? What kind of radio is that your wearing in your pics?

2007, 2008 - (LCpl, Cpl) USS Kearsarge LHD-3 / Med Float
    2008 - (Cpl) HMS Ark Royal / Training

The Kearsarge was alright, at least I didn't live on one of the smaller ships for that deployment.

The Ark Royal was fun. My BN was tasked to give up a company to go on and do helio raids for two weeks. The point was the UK wanted to asses if the ship could support an amphibious mission with their Marines like we do with our anphib ships; but they have so few Marines they couldn't spare enough for the exercise. There were I think about 5 Royal Marines on board and of course a lot of Royal Navy. I lived with some Royal Navy bloats, they were pretty damn cool.

Heavy!

Day is going well, thanks Ken. Your's? What kind of radio is that your wearing in your pics?
    That was an SCR300 Joe. It weighed 40lbs, plus accessories. It was an FM unit, which means, it was line of sight. If you were in a narrow, deep valley, of which Korea had more than its fair share, You could talk a good distance lengthwise, but usually, only the width of the valley, side to side.Once in a while you'd get a 'Bounce' off the side of a hill, and could talk some amazing distances. Thar's what is known as "Skip'. I'm not going to try to explain wave propagation tonite, I ain't that wide awake. My day was good, but this morning is a little shaky. Now I'll stop complaining, and finish this tale. One sunny summer day, in Korea, I sat on top of a mountain, shooting the breeze with a bunch of Mud stompers, and playing with my radio, when I heard some guy asking, if there was anyone out there. He was a Ham Operator, in Los Angeles, Cal. The Battalion exec. was sitting next to me, and said Give it a try. See if the guy could hear me. I keyed up, gave my call sign, and told him, I was talking to him from a mountain top, in Korea. He came back to me, all excited, and talking fast, because 'Skip Talk' is very unreliable. We managed to maintain the contact, long enough for us to give him the home phone numbers of the six Marines, there with me. That story landed in the LA papers, and My Mom wrote, and told me she heard it on t5he radio, and it was in the Syracuse, NY papers. She also told me the guy called her about the contact, and wanted her to be the first to hear about it. 'Skip Talk' can be pain, but once in a while, it can be a pretty nice thing. S/F! Ken

Morning Ken,

I did CB for a few years. I remember skip very well. I talked to Aussies, Brits, and many more with my beams flat in the summer.

Breaker! Breaker 19, what's your 20?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk View Post
    Morning Ken,

I did CB for a few years. I remember skip very well. I talked to Aussies, Brits, and many more with my beams flat in the summer.
    Good afternoon Kirk. Yeah, I was a CB nut too.Talked a lot of skip, so if you could get up above 40, you might have talked to me. I still have my base, but I keep it in a cabinet, in the garage. I tried it this last summer, but it just wasn't the same., so I put it back to bed. My handle was Slyder, and when I felt like talking legal, I mean local, I spend my spare time on channel seven. We had a lot of nice people on there, and had fun, until the button pushers, garbage mouths, and the idiots, with their seven league boots, came in and ruined it. I'll have to tell you about some of my adventures with those no-brains. I'm getting long winded again, Catch you on the flip-side. S/F!!! Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kenrobg30 View Post
    Good afternoon Kirk. Yeah, I was a CB nut too.Talked a lot of skip, so if you could get up above 40, you might have talked to me. I still have my base, but I keep it in a cabinet, in the garage. I tried it this last summer, but it just wasn't the same., so I put it back to bed. My handle was Slyder, and when I felt like talking legal, I mean local, I spend my spare time on channel seven. We had a lot of nice people on there, and had fun, until the button pushers, garbage mouths, and the idiots, with their seven league boots, came in and ruined it. I'll have to tell you about some of my adventures with those no-brains. I'm getting long winded again, Catch you on the flip-side. S/F!!! Ken

HAHAHA My handle was Captain Kirk I sold all my stuff 18 years ago

Too many garbage mouths. We had a great club for about 5 or 6 years. had a 50 ft tower and a 1000 watt heater. All gone.

Going flat side brother CK out!

I was there as well but on one of the other lpd's.SF

Trapped In A Floating Tin Can !!!

I have a very.... unique.. situation actually. I am currently stationed in Japan at a Navy Base and attached to a USMC Communication Detachement attached to CTF-76 which is a Naval Unit, so that being the case my job is mostly on the ships, so every year on average i spend about 300 days at sea.

USS ESSEX
    USS DENVER
    USS HARPERS FERRY
    USS TORTUGA

YAY 7TH FLEET

cant wait to get back to a real unit STATE SIDE !!

Thread Information