Gunman kills 32, wounds 21 at Virginia Tech shooting before being killed - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VA Tech
    Posted By Uncle Jimbo

Condolences to the far too many who lost someone yesterday, once again my petty grievances fade.

I hope the miserable bastard who did this burns in the old school Hell of the Bible, Dante-style.

I have not seen anything to show that the administration acted other than properly. It would have been a major stretch and not really the proper response to shut down the whole University in the hour and one half time frame they took to talk to witnesses and evaluate the first scene.

Once again, Blue skies on a black day to the families and friends.

One bright spot, and somehow it doesn't surprise me at all that he was Israeli.

Professor Liviu Librescu, 76, threw himself in front of the shooter, who had attempted to enter his classroom. The Israeli mechanics and engineering lecturer was shot to death, "but all the students lived - because of him," Virginia Tech student Asael Arad - also an Israeli - told Army Radio.

Several of Librescu's other students sent e-mails to his wife, Marlena, telling of how he blocked the gunman's way and saved their lives, said the son, Joe.

www.esm.vt.edu/php/person.php?id=10023

Ellie

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    http://voanews.com/english/2007-04-17-voa23.cfm
    Police identified the gunman as Cho Seung-hui, a 23-year-old in his final year of college. They say he was in the U.S. as a resident alien.

Police still have not confirmed that the same person was responsible for two separate killings earlier at a dormitory building on the campus, although ballistic tests show one of the guns was used in both shooting incidents. A state police official said it is reasonable to assume that Cho was the shooter in both places, but police cannot say with certainty he was.

Credits
    Savings
    Assuming it was over his girlfriend it would make senseless sense. Hormones at 23 are bad sh!t.

Alarming

Here is what is alarming to me.....

First off I work for a large...very large company and we are on campus much like a university campus. We are so big we have our own zipcode. There is constantly security roaming around and such.

Where was security at when the doors and windows were chained shut? Did not anyone notice this guy walking around with chains to do this?

Did not anyone notice this and why? Not pointing fingers or blame as the shooter is definately to blame but come on.....this is not something that should of went unnoticed or maybe I am just to much aware of my surroundings that I think it should of been noticed.

Last edited by thedrifter; 04-17-07 at 11:08 AM.

Im the first to say what a tragedy this is, and god forbid it ever happen again. Gun control, not for it. But 26,000 students with guns. 1 class with probably 100 plus students and someone walks into a room with the gun and starts shooting. The 100 plus students return fire with their weapons. What about fields of fire? How many friendly fire deaths and injuries would occur. Where do the rounds these poorly trained marksman go? Into the hallways, out windows? Would they hesitate?
    Yes there is probably the need for better warning for students. Locking down a campus with 26,000 students is nearly impossible. This is the size of a small town. People coming and going, you cant stop everyone from moving around. Not to mention college students are resistant to governmental control of their movements and freedoms. Im sure the police force for this college department isnt the largest 50+. Probably had 10 to 15 cops on duty at a time. A murder scene would require the majority of them to secure the scene. How would the administration know there would be a second incident? Notifying all 26,000 employees, employees, visitors, would be near impossible. I sleep through tornado sirens. Does every student live with a cell phone and computer attached to them? Does everyone immediately respond and answer cell phone calls? Even with hundreds of cops(vast majority from other departments) with automatic weapons storming the buildings, there were students roaming around, looking to see what was going on. Who was running into the building while everyone was trying to get out? First responders, EMTS, cops etc. Not to mention the fact these guys have to clean up the crime scene and they will have to live with the horror of the scene. No one has commended these people, everyone is looking for liability and finger pointing. The only person to blame is the guy who done this.
    A shame all these kids had to be taken from their families and friends, but we live in a very violent society that is going to get worse. We live in America, home of the "free". And things are only going to get worse. Our liberties will be at a cost, gun control, freedom to move around, etc. Anyone to blame for this, CNN, FOX, the list goes on and on. Want to go down in a blaze of "glory" news will accommodate you, get the facts wrong and blame everyone else except those responsible. It sickens me to watch a "news reporter" badgering some kid about the admin being at fault. A kid told a reporter he supported the admin, and the reporter had a stupefied look on his face. He did not get the right answer, got slick and asked it again by changing the words. The kid still gave the same answer.
    What could the admin do better for warning? Dont know. Human nature brings out onlookers for a fire or crime scene. They shouldn't be there ,but they go. A major smowstorm moves in, people still drive in it. Tornado sirens going off, and people are out looking for it. You can do your best to warn, but you cant forsee the future, you cant , you cant warn everyone, and will they listen and heed?
    A reasonable response would be balance between the two. What could the Admin have done to spread the word , what additional security (very expensive) can be implemented without suspension of civil liberties. What caused this man to go ballistic. Was he harassed, did he fail the mid term, was he a forsaken love interest? FInd out . No matter what security or plans you have, anyone with reasonable planning can do what was done here . Its a shame, but there are those with motive, intent and capability to do it . What can be done to prevent this, only time will tell.
    Once again a tragedy. My sympathy goes out to the families of the victims, and hope the wounded live a good life, without the horrific memories they have experienced.

Why didnt someone notice a guy with chains? He probably didnt walk around with them around his neck, class was in session, and people are in classes How may would have seen him. Im sure he didnt walk around for 2 hours taking his time locking the doors with chains. It was done quickly. Is there a security guard on every door, entrance, etc. How many people that see something out of the ordinary, crime, suspicious person, notify authorities anyway? Not to mention take action. Im glad to see in the above post that there was someone who tried to stand up to this guy. How many people would have done this? Im sure there was more that stood up, and hope to hear THEIR stories told in the media. Not the cowardice of the fool that caused this event.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Angry

WHAT A FRIGGING WASTE FOR ALL CONCERNED

Credits
    Savings
    Not to make light of this tragedy, but how many people are killed by deer-vehicle collisions each year ? I believe it is over 200.

Begging your pardon, considering the above, isn't it a small price to pay for a free and and open society that has the right to bear arms ?

That is, unless you shoot me

Virginia Killer's Violent Writings
    Play told of pedophilic stepfather, murder of 13-year-old boy

APRIL 17--The college student responsible for yesterday's Virginia Tech slaughter was referred last year to counseling after professors became concerned about the violent nature of his writings, as evidenced in a one-act play obtained by The Smoking Gun. The play by Cho Seung-Hui, a 23-year-old English major, was submitted last year as part of a short story writing class. Entitled "Richard McBeef," Cho's bizarre play features a 13-year-old boy who accuses his stepfather of pedophilia and murdering his father. A copy of the killer's play can be found below. The teenager talks of killing the older man and, at one point, the child's mother brandishes a chain saw at the stepfather. The play ends with the man striking the child with "a deadly blow." (10 pages)

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...071vtech1.html

Ellie

Well first off, we don't have security guards at every door. We have campus police, but they're just like regular officers, they're not stationed all over the damn place, they patrol. Who knows why nobody saw him...he could have had the chains in a backpack or something. Plus, as far as that particular entrance to the building goes, there isn't a whole lot of room for people to be sitting around, so since classes were in session, there weren't many people outside of the classrooms to see him. Normally there are stragglers who are late, but I guess that wasn't the case on that particular day, until he got to the second floor.

No one does or will really truely know when someone is gonna go postal. We cant say lock em up or throw the canvas coat on a person who talks about death, murder, chain saw massacuring and so on. Right now I'm hearing on TV some congresswoman talking about gun control/rights, you know even if they were to take away our rights to bear arms then the next thing there gonna want to take away hunting knifes,k-bars,butterknifes cause they kill to. Its not the weapons who kill people,its people killing people by whatever means available, hell you got woman trying to run over there spouses cause they think there cheating.Death is a part of living, 95% of the time deah is violent, whether it be from Cancer, some other form of diease,automobile wrecks,hunting accidents, stabbings,shootings, & WARS........

MG

Thread Information