Create Post

Thread: The "Old Corps"

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member

The "Old Corps"

The "Old Corps"
    "For the Seasoned Marines"

Remember When?

When We Were Young, They Talked About "The Old Corps." Now we [you] Are The "Old Corps!"

Remember when... Everyone was issued dress blues. You kept your rifle in the barracks and cleaned it weekly. Your 782 gear did not wear out (even though it came from WW II). Mess halls were mess halls (NOT dining facilities).

Evening Chow required the Uniform of the Day. The barracks meant a
    SquadBay. Everyone was a Marine and his ethnic background was unimportant. We had heroes. Chaplains didn't teach leadership to the experts. Getting high meant getting drunk. Beer was 25 cents at the slopchute. Skivvies had tie-ties. We starched our khakis and looked like hell after sitting down the first time. We wore the short green battle jacket with the winter uniform. We kept our packs made up and hanging on the edge of the rack. We spit shined shoes. Brownbaggers'first concern was the Marine Corps. Generals cussed. Generals paid more attention to the Marine Corps than to politics. UA meant being a few minutes late from a great liberty, and only happened once per career. Brigs were truly "correctional" facilities. Sergeants were gods. The tips of the index and middle fingers of one hand were constantly black from Kiwi shoe polish.

We scrubbed the wooden decks of the barracks with creosol. We had wooden barracks or brick ones with concrete floors (Decks). Privates made less than $100.00 a month. Privates always had money. You weren't transported to war by Trans World or Pan American airlines. Barracks violence was a fight between two buddies who were buddies when it was over. Larceny was a civilian crime. Every Marine had all his gear. Marines had more uniforms than civilian clothes. Country and western music did not start race riots in the clubs. We had no race riots because we had no recognition of races. Marine Corps birthdays were celebrated on 10 November no matter what day of the week it may have been (except Sunday).

Support units supported. The supply tail did not wag the maintenance dog. The 734 form was the only supply document. You did your own laundry, including ironing. You aired bedding. Daily police of outside areas was held although they were always clean. Field stripping of cigarette butts was required. Everyone helped at field day. A tour as Duty NCO was an honor. Everyone got up a reveille. We had live bugle calls inside the barrack, sometimes at the foot of your rack.

Floors were decks. Doors were hatches. Walls were bulkheads, and halls were passageways. Movies were free. PX items were bargains. Parking was the least of problems because troops couldn't afford cars. You weren't married unless you could afford it. Courts-martial orders were read in battalion formations. A bum didn't have a BCD awarded more than once before he actually got it. We had the "Rocks and Shoals." Courts-martial were a rarity. People receiving BCDs were drummed out the gate. NCOs and officers were not required to be psychologists.

The mission was the most important thing. Marines could shoot. Marines had a decent rifle. The BAR was the mainstay of the fire team. Machine gunnery was an art. Maggie's drawers meant a miss and was considered demeaning as hell to the dignity of the shooter. Carbide lamps blackened sights. We wore leggings and herringbone utilities. We mixed target paste in the butts. We had to take and pass promotion tests to get promoted, plus have the required cutting score. We really had equal opportunity. Sickbays gave APCs for all ailments. We had short-arm inspections. The flame tank was in the arsenal of weapons. We had unit parties overseas with warm beer and no drugs.

0351 included the Flamethrower, 3.5" Rocket Launcher and Recoilless Rifle. Non-judicial punishment was non-judicial. The squad bay rich guy was the only one with a radio. If a Marine couldn't make it on a hike, his buddies carried his gear and helped him stumble along so that he wouldn't have to fall out. The base legal section was one or two clerks and a lawyer. Marines wore dog tags all the time. We spit shined shoes and BRUSH shined boots. We wore boondockers. We starched field scarves. We worked a five and one half day week. Everyone attended unit parties. In the field we used straddle trenches instead of "Porta-Potties." Hitchhiking was an offense. We used Morse Code for difficult transmissions. The oil burning tent stove was the center of social activity in the tent. We had unit mail call. We carried swagger sticks. We had Chesty Puller. Greater privileges for NCOs were not a "right." EM Clubs were where you felt at home -- and safe.

We sailed on troop ships and we rode troop trains. Sentries
    had some authority. Mess hall "Southern cooking" was not called "soul food." Marines went to chapel on Sundays. Weekend liberty to a distant place was a rarity. The color of a Marine's skin was of no consequence. The Marine Corps was a big team made up of thousands of little teams. We debarked from ship by means of nets over the side, landed in LCVPs or Amtracks and always got wet. We had parades. We had pride.
    We had Esprit de Corps.

Brought back a LOT of memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

Most of the things here have yet to change, or have only changed because of technological advancements. Some have changed for the worse, some the better. But some of the things that the author THINKS have changed made me mad. What they hell does he think we are up to? And they is a wierd race thing happening here that doesnt make sence. Race is serriously NOT an issue in todays Corps. I think there is a bit of rose colored glasses on the race issue here.

The following in red is how I see the differences...

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper

The "Old Corps"

"For the Seasoned Marines"

Remember When?

When We Were Young, They Talked About "The Old Corps." Now we [you] Are The "Old Corps!"

Remember when... Everyone was issued dress blues. You kept your rifle in the barracks and cleaned it weekly. (We keep ours in the armory and clean them damn near daily.) Your 782 gear did not wear out (even though it came from WW II). Mess halls were mess halls (NOT dining facilities). (they're still messhalls. when have then not been?)

Evening Chow required the Uniform of the Day. The barracks meant a
    SquadBay. (Still a lot of Marines in squad bays.) Everyone was a Marine and his ethnic background was unimportant. (Thats still true) We had heroes. (What the **** does this mean?) Chaplains didn't teach leadership to the experts. (Nor do they now) Getting high meant getting drunk. Beer was 25 cents at the slopchute. (Im jealous) Skivvies had tie-ties. We starched our khakis and looked like hell after sitting down the first time. We wore the short green battle jacket with the winter uniform. We kept our packs made up and hanging on the edge of the rack. We spit shined shoes. Brownbaggers'first concern was the Marine Corps. (still is now.) Generals cussed. (Ive heard some nasty pottymouth officers) Generals paid more attention to the Marine Corps than to politics. UA meant being a few minutes late from a great liberty, and only happened once per career. Brigs were truly "correctional" facilities. Sergeants were gods. (Still true today) The tips of the index and middle fingers of one hand were constantly black from Kiwi shoe polish.

We scrubbed the wooden decks of the barracks with creosol. We had wooden barracks or brick ones with concrete floors (Decks). Privates made less than $100.00 a month. Privates always had money. (hahaha yeah right. I have heard to many stories from my grandpa about Marines being out drunk in town and getting taken for everything they were worth) You weren't transported to war by Trans World or Pan American airlines. (who cares?) Barracks violence was a fight between two buddies who were buddies when it was over. (yet ANOTHER thing that hasnt changed.) Larceny was a civilian crime. (Bull****) Every Marine had all his gear. (So even the ****tiest private NEVER lost his stuff?) Marines had more uniforms than civilian clothes. Country and western music did not start race riots in the clubs. (who wrote this and what the hell does he think is happening?) We had no race riots because we had no recognition of races. (I have yet to see a "race riot" let alone a fight that stemed from race issues) Marine Corps birthdays were celebrated on 10 November no matter what day of the week it may have been (except Sunday). YET ANOTHER thing that hasnt changed.

Support units supported. (Wouldnt know, im a grunt.) The supply tail did not wag the maintenance dog. The 734 form was the only supply document. You did your own laundry, including ironing. (how does someone NOT do their own laundry?) You aired bedding. Daily police of outside areas was held although they were always clean. (still happens) Field stripping of cigarette butts was required. (Why? nowdays if you are in a tactical situation, where your whereabouts are supposed to be unkonwn, smoking inst even allowed) Everyone helped at field day. (still the same) A tour as Duty NCO was an honor. (Im sure Marines couldnt wait to have duty)Everyone got up at reveille. (Most Marines are moving BEFORE reveille) We had live bugle calls inside the barrack, sometimes at the foot of your rack.

Floors were decks. (no ****) Doors were hatches. (no ****) Walls were bulkheads, (no ****) and halls were passageways. (no ****) Movies were free. PX items were bargains. Parking was the least of problems because troops couldn't afford cars. You weren't married unless you could afford it. Courts-martial orders were read in battalion formations. A bum didn't have a BCD awarded more than once before he actually got it. We had the "Rocks and Shoals." Courts-martial were a rarity. People receiving BCDs were drummed out the gate. NCOs and officers were not required to be psychologists. (Are they now?)

The mission was the most important thing. (This one actually ****es me off.) Marines could shoot. (Any time any place.....) Marines had a decent rifle. (either we have a ****ty rifle and Marines nowdays are just that good, or the rifle is better, and the Marines cant shoot as well. Were using the same range as the Old Corps Marines) The BAR was the mainstay of the fire team. Machine gunnery was an art. Maggie's drawers meant a miss and was considered demeaning as hell to the dignity of the shooter. Carbide lamps blackened sights. (Nothing cigarete lighter doesnt do now.) We wore leggings and herringbone utilities. We mixed target paste in the butts. (still do) We had to take and pass promotion tests to get promoted, (sounds like a good idea.) plus have the required cutting score. We really had equal opportunity. Sickbays gave APCs for all ailments. (sounds like Motrin and water nowdays) We had short-arm inspections. (I dont want anyone looking at my short arm unless Im ****ing razors) The flame tank was in the arsenal of weapons. We had unit parties overseas with warm beer and no drugs.

0351 included the Flamethrower, 3.5" Rocket Launcher and Recoilless Rifle. Non-judicial punishment was non-judicial. The squad bay rich guy was the only one with a radio. If a Marine couldn't make it on a hike, his buddies carried his gear and helped him stumble along so that he wouldn't have to fall out. (wow yet another thing that hasent changed) The base legal section was one or two clerks and a lawyer. Marines wore dog tags all the time. We spit shined shoes and BRUSH shined boots. We wore boondockers. We starched field scarves. We worked a five and one half day week. Everyone attended unit parties. In the field we used straddle trenches instead of "Porta-Potties." (We use e-tools and skivieshirts when were acually in the field. everything else is a Range) Hitchhiking was an offense. We used Morse Code for difficult transmissions. The oil burning tent stove was the center of social activity in the tent. We had unit mail call. We carried swagger sticks. We had Chesty Puller. Greater privileges for NCOs were not a "right." EM Clubs were where you felt at home -- and safe.

We sailed on troop ships and we rode troop trains. Sentries
    had some authority. Mess hall "Southern cooking" was not called "soul food." Marines went to chapel on Sundays. Weekend liberty to a distant place was a rarity. The color of a Marine's skin was of no consequence. (Whats up with this big racial theme? Race has yet to be a big deal since ive been in, and the fact that it is mentioned so much makes it sound kinda sugar coated) The Marine Corps was a big team made up of thousands of little teams. (What is it now???) We debarked from ship by means of nets over the side, landed in LCVPs or Amtracks and always got wet. We had parades. We had pride.
    We had Esprit de Corps.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Field Scarves? I'm circa 83-89, I do not remember field scarves.

"OLD" Corps or "New" Corps.... Still the Marine Corps.

I don't know about you, but this old retired Gunnery Sergeant is proud of all Marines, past, present and future. Semper Fi Marines... Keep up the great work you are doing.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    This article was written by Major Gene Duncan, who is considered by " his boys " to be not only an enlisted officer, but also to be one of the finest examples of a leader the Corps ever witnessed.

Semper Fi

Deduke

Buy as many of Major Duncan's books as you can find. I did when I first enlisted. I regularly re-read them. They are great tomes on leadership, sea stories, and the 'old corps'.

BTW, "Field Scarves", IIRC, is a WWII term carried into the 1950's, meaning a necktie. Remember, Marines 'back in the day' didn't actually have a true 'combat' uniform until the dungarees came along. Imagine going to war in "Service Dress Bravo", L/S shirt, tie, with 'field shoes', BAR belt, pack, etc etc.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I enjoyed the post. Some of the stuff you talk about; I have only read about in books. My first 3 years was in an open squadbay with a highly polished concrete deck, double decker racks, and a footlocker. The NCO's all lived there too. The Armory was right behind the duty NCO and companys took turns guarding each others armorys.

I believe, BTW, this was written by Major Duncan (Ret) circa 1978 or so. Perhaps a tad earlier.

I must be from the old Corps... But still boot to many.

Hey Young Fella! Just Kidding. Nice To Hear From A Small # Of Us That Where There

Thanks, Cannot Ever Forget, Even If I Tried.

Beirut Vet, Twice

Semper Fi

Remember many of these things, don't remember having much money as a pvt. pay was 79 dallars a month didn't go far . Must have been a boot as dress blues were not issued either. Did carry the 3.5 a lot of miles. Things have changed but the Marines I see are still the Marines I remember back in the day. Smper Fi brothers 1957-1963 best years of my life.

Thread Information