Area troops take oath as citizens
CHRISSY VICK
March 8, 2007 - 12:00AM

FAYETTEVILLE - Cpl. Teddy Cardenas couldn't quite find the words to describe how he felt Wednesday - his first as an American citizen.

When he did, he called it a dream come true. It's something his entire family has aspired to since they moved from Ecuador to New Jersey more than six years ago "in search of a better life."

Cardenas was overjoyed to be a part of Wednesday's naturalization ceremony at Fort Bragg along with 60 other service members from eastern North Carolina military bases. More than 30 Marines and five sailors from Camp Lejeune took the oath of citizenship alongside 20 soldiers and four airmen from Fort Bragg.

"A vast majority of (these service members) signed up after Sept. 11," said Lt. Gen. Lloyd J. Austin III, commanding general of the 18th Airborne Corps and Fort Bragg, who hosted the ceremony. "They knew that they'd be required to deploy and thereby risk their lives."

The service members represented 29 countries, from China to Sudan. Each listened to the 82nd Airborne Division Chorus and a history of immigration in America and the military before being sworn in as citizens.

The group raised their right hands in unity and formally pledged loyalty to a country they now share.

Some had tears in their eyes. Others displayed large grins while congratulating the person next to them. They received an official certificate of citizenship from Austin and a small American flag before watching a video from President Bush welcoming them to their new country.

"It was a proud moment, particularly for me being a veteran as well," said Richard Corpening, who conducted the swearing in as the supervisory adjudication officer for the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Office in Charlotte. "It's just an honor to be able to say to these folks that you're going over the trenches as a U.S. citizen."

A majority of the service members have already served in the Iraq war. Cardenas is among them.

He joined the Marine Corps in 2004 to learn maturity and have the chance to get a good education in computer engineering, he said.

"In my country, you wouldn't make enough money to make it worth going to school," he said.

He was deployed to Iraq shortly after joining with 2nd Battalion, 6th Marines, 2nd Marine Division and is currently preparing to deploy to Iraq again this month.

But now he rests easy knowing he's accomplished one of his biggest goals.

"I don't like to think negatively," Cardenas said. "But I do feel relieved that at least I am an American if something happens to me."

Lance Cpl. Cristian Espinoza, who has served one tour in the Iraq war, felt just as proud during Wednesday's ceremony. Espinoza said he has always felt that the United States was home. He has lived in Miami since age 5 when his family left Nicaragua to "pursue a better life."

"I joined the Marine Corps because I wanted more school and the discipline," he said. "After 9/11, it kind of got me motivated. I feel great now that I finally have my citizenship. I can vote and have other privileges Americans have."

After six years in America, Cardenas said his citizenship makes it his official home.

"I've always felt loyal to America," he said. "But this is the real deal."

Contact staff writer Chrissy Vick at cvick@freedomenc.com or by calling 353-1171, ext. 239.

Ellie