Meade River 1968 - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    "Those mutha fvckers wouldnt quit. Fought to the death"

They say you are measured in some way by the quality of the enemy you fought.

I doubt the Marine Corps has ever fought a more worthy and tougher adversary in all its history.

Smart and tough these guys were.

They would quit and melt away when it was in their interest to quit and melt away. Then a while later the tough buggers would hit you all over again.

And just think of the stuff we threw at them.

I would be proud to have allies this tough and this good.

Does anyone on this board remember L/Cpl James W. Heagy? He was with Weapons Plt., Echo 2/26. I have an uncle who was real tight with him who is trying to find out his actual date KIA during Meade River. frank.quinonez@usa.net

So in going through further records, I have found an entry regarding LCpl Heagy that shows him as KIA 6 Dec 1968. The issue is that my uncle swears LCpl Heagy was KIA before the battle of LZ Margo in September 1968. My uncle was wounded and Med-Evac'ed to Okinawa on 16 September 1968, and he swers that LCpl Heagy was already KIA.

However, when he was released from the hospital in Okinawa, he received orders to transport LCpl Heagy's body home to Pittsburg. This is where all of the confusion comes in.

We are looking for any information or eye witnesses to LCpl Heagy's KIA date and circumstances, or anyone with information regarding how to get in touch with his family.

frank.quinonez@usa.net

Frank,
    You should probably try and get a hold of larrymuse690@sbcglobal.net. He states the date as Dec 6, and it looks like he was there.

Good luck on your search
    sempidr

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool All gave Some Some gave All

If that does not work for You,give HDQS,Marine Corps a call in Quantico and they will send You a Casualty Report from The Unit He was in.I also served with the 26Th Marine Regt,3/26 in 68;hope You can put some closer to this.You should Be Very Proud of Him.GodBless You and Your's,Semper Fidelis

www.VirtualWall.org Profile http://www.virtualwall.org/js/profile.htm Page 1 of 1
    James William Heagy
    Lance Corporal
    PERSONAL DATA
    Home of Record: Pittsburgh, PA
    Date of birth: 06/06/1949
    MILITARY DATA
    Service: United States Marine Corps
    Grade at loss: E2
    Note: Posthumous Promotion as indicated
    ID No: 2281346
    MOS: 0311: RIFLEMAN
    Length Service: 01
    Unit: E CO, 2ND BN, 26TH MARINES, 1ST MARDIV, III MAF
    CASUALTY DATA
    Start Tour: 12/14/1967
    Incident Date: 12/06/1968
    Casualty Date: 12/06/1968
    Age at Loss: 19
    Remains: Body recovered
    Casualty Type: Hostile, died outright
    Casualty Reason: Ground casualty
    Casualty Detail: Gun or small arms fire
    URL: www.VirtualWall.org/dh/HeagyJW01a.htm
    ON THE WALL Panel 37W Line 050
    VIRTUAL WALL ® www.VirtualWall.org

Quote Originally Posted by FistFu68 View Post
    If that does not work for You,give HDQS,Marine Corps a call in Quantico and they will send You a Casualty Report from The Unit He was in.I also served with the 26Th Marine Regt,3/26 in 68;hope You can put some closer to this.You should Be Very Proud of Him.GodBless You and Your's,Semper Fidelis
    This is a great idea! I didn't know that we could get copies of the actual casualty reports. Do you know what section at HQMC would be best to contact? S1?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Personal Records Branch,"Awards&Decorations"...just call main SwitchBoard and the Base Operator will connect You.I think they will send You a Company Roster,they did Me but since they have limited Personal working that Section try and pin it down too about 90 day's of when He was KIA,The Company Roster will help You find Men that actually served with Him!GodBless You,Walk Tall believe Me He did.Semper Fidelis...India 3 out~~~

Good afternoon,
    My wife's father, Sgt or SSgt Richard Berger, was in 3/26 during this time, however we know very little about his service. After his retirement he didn't talk about the RVN very much and he passed on without sharing any memories. Can anyone give us any information about what company he was in, where he was at, and any personal stories involving him at that or any other time in his 20 years in the Corps. I came into the Corps after Vietnam, joining in 1979 and serving in the 2nd MAW with VMFA 333 and 115.
    Any information is greatly appreciated. Semper Fi my brothers,

My most memorable Thanksgiving was 1968 while on Operation Meade River they flew hot chow out to us in the bush. Happy Thanksgiving Marines, Semper Fi!

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    We also had Thanksgiving dinner choppered out to us. Although I remember this.....it's nothing compared to the memories of the following 2 weeks.

I was supposed to be pulled out from Meade River during the beginning of Dec to go on my R&R to Sydney (roundeyes), but they cancelled my R&R. Lucky me. So I spent my R&R in beautiful downtown Dodge City. Oh, the memories, all bad.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Searching for my uncles friends

Just curious if anyone here knew my uncle, Donald W. McBride. He was killed Nov 20th 1968, in what I believe is the helicopter crash mentioned in the article.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Not right off hand Guy but I shall Pray for His Soul and Yours cause You wanna know about Him that's an Honorable Thing Go Easy

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    We also had Thanksgiving dinner choppered out to us. Although I remember this.....it's nothing compared to the memories of the following 2 weeks.
    Y'all were being fattened up for the ..............

Thread Information