0351 Assaultman/Demolitions - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    0351drgn.....you do realize that the original poster hasn't posted in this thread in over 6 years, don't you?

Last edited by Lisa 23; 01-10-13 at 09:06 AM.

Hello there. I am a former 0351 myself that served with G 2/7 on one tour each to Iraq and Afghanistan. I graduated SOI in Feb of 2006. I was part of the last class to receive SMAW, Demo AND Javelin training. A huge part of the rest of your career will depend on where you go after SOI. 0351's get lumped into either a line company or a weapons company. Experiences will vary greatly between the two. I went to a line company. There I was playing the role of an 0311 about 95% of the time. A huge chunk of your life will be dictated by your command. My command had no idea how to use us properly....so they didn't. We became just normal grunts with perhaps a little bit extra knowledge. I can say that for me personally I used 0351 specific training perhaps twice the entire time I was in.

Javelins? Used by Weapons Company. Not line.
    SMAWs? Never even had them in Iraq and judged too cumbersome and heavy for the grueling nature of life in Afghanistan.
    Demo? Never. Our command didn't trust us I guess. They had our attached engineers do everything.

So I guess that even though I was an 0351 I was just another basic rifleman. And I wouldn't have it any other way. Weapons platoon in a line company to me is just better in just about every aspect that a basic line platoon. So we fought like Marines of old....but got treated marginally better.

Dragons are archaic technology. They were phased out sometime in the early 90's I believe.

So to any new prospective Assaultman out there. Your life will have several branches with vastly different outcomes at the end of each....and you will have no way to control any of it.

0351 is the weird stepchild of the infantry. Constantly changing, not sure if going to be around next year, respected and hated at the same time, and no one outside of the Assaultman family really knows what to make of us. We are useful...if used.

I know this is a dated request, but if you are still interested...

I am a 0351 from the 1970's, and the job description has undergone many revisions. Our primary weapon was the 106mm recoilless rifle for anti-tank assault. They were twice as old as we were and were already obsolete.

We were actually deployed with machine guns!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    holy thread dig!

Well it good to have updated information.

Word is being passed.

Eliminatus, The Dragon was being phased out by 2000.

Just like their 0352 -TOWs bros, the Dragon was expensive to shoot all the time.

Unlike mortars, we always shooting something down range.

S/F,
    CEYA!

LOL, just signed up for this board because I saw your post. I realize this is quite dated. Did you get the information you were looking for? I was a Dragon gunner in the Gulf. 0351 was Dragon Gunner, not the SMAW.

You could not have described that any better. We were the unwanted stepchild, in the way, useful for guard duty etc until the armor rolled in. Then they couldn't get to us fast enough. The line company had two reactions: those that hooked up with us and tried to do whatever they could to learn or help; and the ones that went into Holy Crap mode.
    But, your assessment? Right on. And you were also right in that I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I started my career in comm. When I moved and transferred duty station, there was no need for the gear I worked on/with so I learned to be a Dragon assaultman. Fun stuff. make stuff go Boom

LOL, yeah well. I just found this site myself. Wish I would have sooner.

I went to ITS in Aug 1975 as a 0351. We shot the 3.5 Rocket Launcher, LAAW, trained on the 106mm RR and Demo.
    Went to Oki (Camp Schwab) in Nov 1975 & was assigned to H&S Co 3/9 - 106 Platoon. 106mm RR w/50cal spotting rifle atop, usually on a "Mule" (some times a tripod) is all I used my whole 13 month tour overseas.
    Being "the GUNNER", I would drive the mule and would deploy from usually an Amtrak. Beach to Amtrak, Amtrak to Ship well deck and then visa-versa.
    It was a very cool job for me and for being a 0300 out of boot camp. Did training in Japan, Camp Fugi, PI (3) times and a host of other West Pac stops. That time went lightning fast. Got back to states and went to NCO Academy as a driver/instructor assistant. Loved that job too.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC7579 View Post
    I went to ITS in Aug 1975 as a 0351. We shot the 3.5 Rocket Launcher, LAAW, trained on the 106mm RR and Demo.
    Went to Oki (Camp Schwab) in Nov 1975 & was assigned to H&S Co 3/9 - 106 Platoon. 106mm RR w/50cal spotting rifle atop, usually on a "Mule" (some times a tripod) is all I used my whole 13 month tour overseas.
    Being "the GUNNER", I would drive the mule and would deploy from usually an Amtrak. Beach to Amtrak, Amtrak to Ship well deck and then visa-versa.
    It was a very cool job for me and for being a 0300 out of boot camp. Did training in Japan, Camp Fugi, PI (3) times and a host of other West Pac stops. That time went lightning fast. Got back to states and went to NCO Academy as a driver/instructor assistant. Loved that job too.
    jesus!!....look at the thread dates before posting!

David was on the other day and posted about his slingshot.

My Bad, I thought this was about the 0351 "TRADE". Guess I too am old school.
    SF

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    Surely we can find older threads than this if we pay attention.

0351 response

What exactly would you like to know? I serverd as an 0351 for 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohala View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has first hand experience with being a Marine 0351 Assaultman/Demolitions... I know the definition of a 0351. What I wanted to know is if anyone has first had experience in being one. And could maybe... shed some first hand experience on what it is like to be one.

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,
    Mahola

Back in my day an 0351 was a Dragon gunner. We also dealt with explosives, but we also carried that heavy dragon on our back along with our pack and rifle. Of course that was back when 1st Battalion was in California. I hear now they moved to NC. Fun times!

1990 - 1995
    Paris Island, Security Forces, Dragon Gunner.
    1st Battalion, 7th Marine Div, 29 Palms, CA.

Thread Information