A question on apartments
Create Post

A question on apartments

Hello! I'm planning on joining the Marines as soon as the doctors at the MEPS in Indianapolis, IN learn how to measure height (unrelated story to the question I'm asking today, so I'll make it quick -- I've been down twice now and been temporarily disqualified both times because they keep measuring me shorter than I am, and also weighing me in more than I am. Every girl I've been down there with thus far has had the same problem. The first time I got 5'1 1/4 inches, the second time I got 5'1 inch XD Even the Master Sergeant at the Marine Headquarters measured me at nearly 5'3" and told the Marines Liason. Anyways. Apparently I'm shrinking! Haha).

I apologize. I guess that wasn't that short :P Moving on.

I'm 24 years old and have my own apartment. My lease isn't up until March of next year, but I wanted to leave for boot camp earlier than that. I've asked my recruiter and also my Gunny regarding my apartment. Now they say of course that my apartment complex's management can't charge me any sort of termination of lease fee, but of course they (apartment office management) say that they will in fact charge me and I still have to pay it, even though I'm going into the military. I was outraged! They even went so far as to say that if one was in the military and was getting deployed, they'd still have to pay a termination of lease fee XD Talk about supporting your troops, huh?

Are there any links online, or anything else I can get a reference to, to get some more information on the subject? I would appreciate any help that anyone could give me in this situation.

Its called the Soldiers and Sailors civil relief act. Here are a couple of links that might be beneficial to you .

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/sscra/l/blsscra.htm

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/sscra/a/sscra.htm

Sadly, it may be easier to pay the lease termination fee. While you're in boot camp they will be reporting you to the credit bureaus. Once you get to your duty station you can head over to legal and get things fixed, but it is difficult to get information taken off of a credit report once it is there.

Places have actually done that? That's crazy! Honestly though my credit isn't the greatest anyways; I also don't plan on buying a house or another car for a long time. It is still crappy that some places would report you for it...i don't understand how they could get away with that.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Veriria - welcome aboard Leatherneck - I would suggest you read the first 3 or 4 threads of this forum - but, fill out your profile first. We like to know a little bit about who we're talking to.

And, yes, stuff like that does happen - it's not a good thing but, it happens. I think I should get Vets Day off but I don't, not unless I use a vacation day. Sucks, but that's the way it is. Nobody ever promised me a cookie for volunteering to serve my country - nobody will ever offer you one either. Sucks, but that's the way it is.........................and what's up with the height thing?

Veriria:

The wife and I were Apartment Managers for many years after retirement from the Corps. This was in California and we worked for very large Management Companies and at very large Apartment Complexes.

If you sign a lease you must abide by it. If you had been thinking ahead, you could have went month to month and not had to worry about it.

It's tough, but there is nobody to blame but yourself.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I made sure my lease in my apartment had a military clause allowing the contract to be nullo and void if I show the management my orders papers. I know you might have not have been thinking about that when you signed the lease, but maybe it's just better to wait until Mar.
    Square all your financial stuff away, ride the lease out, then join up. That'd be my advice, probably be cheaper in the long run instead of paying like month and a half rent on top of it just to break the lease.
    Good luck and let us know what you decide and what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw3179
    Its called the Soldiers and Sailors civil relief act. Here are a couple of links that might be beneficial to you .

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/sscra/l/blsscra.htm

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/sscra/a/sscra.htm
    have your recruiter help you with this. explain the situation to the apartment managers. usually if they have a patriotic bone in their body they will help you out.

Thread Information