Why is everybody here interested in the USMC? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    You can tell the sells pitch lol, my first recruiter was like "Well Matthew ill tell you what im going to do for you ...."

I have a few Marines friends before i even considered it, but Recruiters jobs are tough, and its probably one of the hardest to do, put yourself in there shoes whew.

Anyway to be honest i know what i want to do with my life, I want to Be what i am. When you take a look at the Marine, you can tell that somthing is different about them. When you see Uniform you can see what it represent not neccessary how it looks. With that note, i have been asked what i want to do after highschool about 10,000 times, the look never gets old when i say Marine Corps. Almost 100% of the time after that they start somthing like "yea i had a Friend that was ..." .. i should just say no you didnt. -- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Barret
    For me, It was to be in the most Honorable, Proud, Toughest Brotherhood the world Have ever seen. The Marines hold themselves to a higher code of Honor than anyone of this planet, and I want that.

Barret said it perfect

MOS im looking into are 0300 and AAV Crewman... eventually try 0321

PT is GREAT 17 minute 5k, 44 pullups, 120 crunches

You need to help me on my pullups.

add my AIM and id be happy to

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My absolute very first impression was that Marines were nasty and a bunch of undeserving glory hogs.

And then I went to 8th and I... I watched the President's Own and the Drum and Bugle Corps play some gorgeous music, and then I watched the Silent Drill Platoon put on one awesome display, and then I listened to a Marine play Taps...extremely moving...and then I shool several Marines' hands. That day the Marines moved up a notch in my mind. But I still didn't like them.

And then I met my two closest friends in the world, and all they could do was talk about Marines (at least, whenever we weren't talking about our future ranch). Honestly, I got sick of it. My dad was retired Army, so of course, no one and nothing was better than the Army. But I got so sick of hearing them talk that I went online and looked the Marines up.

By the end of the week, I loved the Marines. I read everything I could get my hands on, via internet and the library. However, I did not think of joining them, although I did agree they were the best. But me, I was applying to the Air Force Academy. I wanted to be a fighter pilot and then go on to be an astronaut. Well, then I found out that even with surgery, the AF wouldn't let me fly as pilot, I could only maybe hope to be the second guy in the plane. So I said forget it. If I can't fly, I don't want to do it. But the desire to be in the military and serve my country was still there, so, to make a long story short, I leave for Recruit Training on July 24.

Why the Marines and not anything else? They're sharp, committed, tough, proud, and first. They are a Brotherhood unlike any other. With them it's do or die. They have honor and courage. They never quit. And for every Army, Navy, Air Force, or Coast Guard sticker I see, I see about 30 Marine Corps stickers.

I signed for 5800, the MP field.

As for PT, I'm working on it. I have a 60 sec arm hang, 90 crunches, and 12:20 run. By the 24, I want the hang and crunches to be more than perfect, and the run to be down to 11:00.

Semper Fi

"NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY "We are a family,We are a band of brothers.If you become part of the family,one of the brothers you will understand.There is nothing I like more than my yearly reunion with my brothers 6THMARINES TOWS 88-94.

Okay. I'm not feeling as smartypants today.

I was 19 in college and hated it. I only went to college because everyone else thought I should, wanted or expected me to it. It was my Mother's dying wish.

In college I met my first Marines. I wanted what they had. The look of confidence in their eyes. The sure way about them when they walked. The self assurance, brotherhood, and pride. I knew I didn't want to spend another year in college. But I did want to finish the year I was in the middle of at the time.

I went to visit the recruiter. {Visited all the ones in the plaza that day since they were all lumped together.} The recruiter didn't seem too thrilled. I hadn't taken the ASVAB in high school. So I had to take that and pass it. Pass it I did!! Plus I had meet some minimum pft stuff. Struggled with it but pass it I finally did. Had some medical stuff in my history {operations} so had to go to MEPS twice to clear all that up. Recruiter was leery that I had "NEVER" smoked or even tried pot or any other drug. Was adament that I should admit to it and sign a waiver. I wasn't admitting to anything I hadn't done.

It wasn't really until my step-mother showed up at his office one day that he was seemingly more interested in actually getting me too boot camp. Guess he didn't take too kindly to threats of being ran over with her car. Because as determined as I was to join the Marine Corps she was just as determined that I would not join.

It was at that point that my recruiter would meet with me 2 or 3 times a week for pt. It was then that he really talked with me about service, duty, honor and Country. I don't remember any poolee meetings or anything like that. I had something smouldering inside me before. The Marines I had met in college gave wake to a little flame inside me. It was my recruiter who fanned that flame and gave me a better idea about what my decision would mean. Boot camp added kindling and wood.

It's something inside. There are lots of people who might be "interested" yet never visit a recruiter. Plenty of people who visit the recruiter but never make it to MEPS muchless boot. And sadly those that do make it to boot but don't quite earn that Eagle, Globe and Anchor. Because when it comes right down to it, it takes more than "just an interest."

Anyone with luck can win the lottery. Most anyone can propose, get married and have a number of anniversaries. The majority of the population can be a part of procreation and have a baby. Many go to college and graduate each year. But not just anyone can be a United States Marine. Not just anyone can proudly wear that Eagle, Globe and Anchor. Marines are not known as "The Few. The Proud." for no reason. And Women Marines are "The Fewer. The Prouder."

No matter where I go or what I do, I'll always be a Marine. It doesn't matter if it's a Private just out of boot or a retired Full Bird Colonel. If they're a Marine then we have something in common. Something those who have never been there can't understand.

Either way Erthwerm, either you'll have that *something* inside you or you won't. But you won't know if you don't try. And if you don't try you may spend your life wondering. But it's not college where if you don't like it you can just leave after a year. It's not like most other jobs where if you don't like it you can look for another job. It's a way of life. It's a commitment. And it's an experience that will last a lifetime if you do 4 years or 30 years.

Angel

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    To show you a "for instance" on the brotherhood thing - we ain't just lying.

I left to go to Iwakuni on the day the space shuttle blew up in 86. My stupid self started drinking then and I didn't quit until I sat down on the plane at midnight that night. By the time we got to Alaska I was so dehydrated they had to wheel me off the plane and throw me in the hospital at Elmendorf (sp) AFB. After 24 hours of having fluid run through my veins to hydrate me, nobody knew what to do with a WM - there weren't any there. The next plane to Japan wasn't coming through until a few days later. Somebody knew of a Marine Reserve Unit that just happened to be accross the yard from the hospital (wish I could remember the Unit#). There were MAYBE 10 AD Marines that were there all the time.

I didn't have anything but the uniform on my back - didn't even have my cover - it was still on the plane that was 1/2 way to Iwakuni - no purse, no money, no toothbrush even. The hospital let me sign in and out during the day and for the next few days until that next bird headed to Japan came through, those 10 (or so) Marines took care of me - fed me, gave me money, one Gunnys' wife even cooked dinner for all of us one night, they let me hang out with them and my last night there 2 of them stayed with me in the airport until I got on that plane to Japan.

THAT convinced me that I had done the right thing - those Marines didn't know me from Adam's house cat but they helped me because I am a Marine.

Thanks everybody for the replies! Please keep them coming. Smalcom, that is an amazing feat with your PT. You've got that 300 all right. I might IM you to find out what your routine is for the pullups. I can only do 13 myself, but I'll add 1 a week for the next few weeks and see how that goes. I'm at 19 minutes for the 3 mile run and 89 for the sit ups (not great, I know but it'll be a 300 before I sign,) but I'm really lacking upper body strength. It's getting better, though. Anyway, I reall have learned quite a bit reading these replies. All my life, I've strived to be the best at anything I do. I've been thinking about enterring the Armed Forces and the United States Marine Corps is the best fighting force in the world and if I join anything, I want it to have the hardest Recruit Training program and the most prestigious stigma, hence the Marine Corps popped in my head. I've talked over with my parents and my mother is all for it, but my dad isn't. However, I'm 22 and regardless of what I do, he'll come around, as long as somebody supports me.

Thanks everybody!

Stanley Hroszow
    Guest Free Member
    Got you covered with support from here

I'm interested because I'm 23, and not really doing much in my life. I've been a desk jockey at my job for the past 7 years, and it's getting old, plus I'm not sure if it's what I want to do for my life. When I was in HS, a long time ago..., we had recruiters in the cafeteria from time to time. I filled out an info card for the Marines and the recruiter never called me or made contact. I wish he had, because now I would have had 5+ years in instead of just starting out at 23.

I figured this to be a way to be the best, regardless of what others think/say, do something different, and challenge myself. My parents are less than thrilled, and my father is less than less than thrilled... They can't seem to understand why anyone in their right mind would join the military unless they couldn't do anything else, or were stuck. I just want to join because it's something I feel I have to do, it's hard to explain the feeling, but I just feel drawn to it, like I belong there or something.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Future5711
    I'm interested because I'm 23, and not really doing much in my life. I've been a desk jockey at my job for the past 7 years, and it's getting old, plus I'm not sure if it's what I want to do for my life. When I was in HS, a long time ago..., we had recruiters in the cafeteria from time to time. I filled out an info card for the Marines and the recruiter never called me or made contact. I wish he had, because now I would have had 5+ years in instead of just starting out at 23.

I figured this to be a way to be the best, regardless of what others think/say, do something different, and challenge myself. My parents are less than thrilled, and my father is less than less than thrilled... They can't seem to understand why anyone in their right mind would join the military unless they couldn't do anything else, or were stuck. I just want to join because it's something I feel I have to do, it's hard to explain the feeling, but I just feel drawn to it, like I belong there or something.
    There you go young lady. You are going to be one that makes it, with a positive attitude like you have.

Stanley Hroszow
    Guest Free Member
    Invite them to check out the thread to see for themselves, what it is all about.

yea like Future5711 said...I feel like I belong there...

Quote Originally Posted by Future5711

What took YOU so long in going after it? You could have done something 5 years ago and taken the initiative instead of waiting for someone else to do it for you. The only one to waste 5 years was you, not the recruiter.

I am glad you finally took the steps, now just keep on taking the initiative and be the first to take charge and go for it all! I wish you the best and want to hear from you after you earn your Eagle, Globe and Anchor along with the title.

Thread Information